nerdmann
6 years ago

Don Barclay (not Montravius Adams) placed on IR to make room for Ahmad Brooks

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

I'd never wanna playbpoker against Ted, that's for sure.

Looking forward to seeing what Montravius can do. Already know what Barclay can do. šŸ¤£
ā€œWinning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a whileā€¦you do them right all the time.ā€
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
Glad to hear the Adams is closer than expected. Maybe get him in small doses. I'd be very interested if we go after Datone and then IR Adams if we land him.
beast
6 years ago

Glad to hear the Adams is closer than expected. Maybe get him in small doses. I'd be very interested if we go after Datone and then IR Adams if we land him.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I'm thinking we should wait to see what the Packers do with DL Quinton Dial, who's visiting tomorrow (Monday) before we celebrate Adams being closer to playing than we expect... because in theory he could be going to the IR tomorrow. Of course, maybe they won't sign Dial, or maybe they'd make room in other ways.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago

I'm thinking we should wait to see what the Packers do with DL Quinton Dial, who's visiting tomorrow (Monday) because we celebrate Adams being closer to playing than we expect... because in theory he could be going to the IR tomorrow. Of course, maybe they won't sign Dial, or maybe they'd make room in other ways.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Just wondering if getting Dial up to speed would be an issue. Datone if the payout happens and we have a decent return to team schedule seems like a pretty smart move if I am Ted and Company.
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Why would we want Datone back? He didn't depart because of money. Packers showed zero interest in bringing him back until he took his visit to Minnesota, probably to jack up his price for the purple.

He departed because we didn't want him. Why would we want him now? If we bring him back that's going the wrong direction...backward into sub mediocrity and that's the exact direction we're trying to emerge from.

Vikes can enjoy that 1.6 million dead cap hit.

There are few players who shot their mouths off as much as Datone Jones and produced so little. He claimed when he left he didn't fit our defense as well as Minnesota and this was going to be his best year yet. Tons of false bravado.

EDIT: With these rumors about us looking for help on the DL it makes me wonder how healthy Dean Lowry actually is.

As for Dial, this is from his draft bio at NFL.com:

STRENGTHS Versatile athletic defensive lineman who plays on the nose, three-technique and five-technique spots on either side of the line.

We're probably looking for another swiss army knife guy who can play multiple positions.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because theyā€™ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
6 years ago

Just wondering if getting Dial up to speed would be an issue. Datone if the payout happens and we have a decent return to team schedule seems like a pretty smart move if I am Ted and Company.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Well Quinton Dial did have a down year (sack wise) last year with a new defensive coordinator and coaching staff... but that could of been because of many different factors. But 4 years in 3-4 scheme he should have a lot of ideas down, but having to learn a whole new defensive terminology.

Datone went on the IR because he was injured or his shoulder isn't fully healthy... and the payout will most likely keep him unavailable until the payout runs out (which we don't know how many weeks it will be). Also Datone gained weight in an attempt to play 4-3 DT... so his best role might be 3rd pass rush, which I think is the same on most teams, penetrate the OL the best you can, which I would think Dial would also do.

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
We'd want him back because he is a plug and play player who knows our system. If we can get him at a low ball price why would you not do that? What does Dial offer us in our system?
beast
6 years ago

There are few players who shot their mouths off as much as Datone Jones and produced so little. He claimed when he left he didn't fit our defense as well as Minnesota and this was going to be his best year yet. Tons of false bravado.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

NO! ... a professional athlete, who thinks they're better than they actually are? Tell me it's not so! If we had a dollar for everyone of those we'd be EXTREMELY RICH!!!!

From what I heard (which probably wasn't all of it) he just said some competitive stuff, nothing bad about players like Greg Jennings... and what he was upset that he learned about his position switch from a TV interview and wasn't given a heads up (which I think he should of been), and that he never felt comfortable at LB (neither did Aaron Kampman).

EDIT: With these rumors about us looking for help on the DL it makes me wonder how healthy Dean Lowry actually is.

Great point, we haven't heard about his injury for a while. Nor Bulaga... and there was one more that I'm blanking out right now on... but they were all rumored to be ready for about week 1.

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

As for Dial, this is from his draft bio at NFL.com:

STRENGTHS Versatile athletic defensive lineman who plays on the nose, three-technique and five-technique spots on either side of the line.

We're probably looking for another swiss army knife guy who can play multiple positions.

I thought this was an interesting an updated read on Quinton Dial.

A little undersized to be a nose tackle out of college, Dial put on more weight and muscle and eventually became a two-down read-and-react player capable of both stopping the run and getting good pressure when needed.

Unfortunately, he was playing in a defense that shifted very little once it was in place, and one that was quickly figured out by opposing offenses. They were one of the worst in the league overall, and were particularly bad against the run. The 49ers allowed 2,654 yards and 25 touchdowns.

That comes out to 165.9 rushing yards allowed per game. Dial wasnā€™t terrible against the run by any stretch, but the scheme did him no favors. He played a two-gap position and much of his initial strength and burst was wasted in the read-and-react defensive philosophy.
Why he might improve

Dial is still in his physical prime and the 3-4 defense was never really suited for his skillset or his size. He should take well to the one-gap scheme and should make more highlight reel-quality plays without having to worry too much about the read-and-react system.

Why he might regress

Then again, Dial has a whole lot of ā€œbe a big stopgap that doesnā€™t move a tonā€ to shake off, and this new scheme will give him the added responsibility of following centers and guards more closely on outside running plays. I think heā€™s well-suited for this, but itā€™s still a big change and it wouldnā€™t be the most shocking thing to see him fail to adapt to it. Thereā€™s also the fact that heā€™s competing with a veteran, is behind that veteran already, and has a long way to go to earn significant playing time.

ninersnation.com  wrote:

UserPostedImage
steveishere
6 years ago
Datone is a lot better than Kyler Fackrell and Odom has never played OLB. He'd be cheap and good to have while we see if Odom can even learn the position.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (6h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (6h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (9h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (9h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (9h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (10h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (10h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (21h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (22h) : damn those vikings
beast (22h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE ā€“ Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (22h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (22h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (22h) : OL ā€“ Donovan Jennings, USF OT ā€“ Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said heā€™s been told he wonā€™t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.