wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Perhaps Aaron Rodgers was on to something when he campaigned for Jared Cook to remain a Packer.
We all know what happened next. Cook and general manager Ted Thompson couldn’t agree on a number and Cook ended up in Oakland.
But Thompson didn’t leave the cupboard bare. He went out and signed Martellus Bennett, who was coming off his second-best season of his career. He caught 75 percent of his targets from Tom Brady for 701 yards and seven touchdowns en route to his first Super Bowl ring.
But there’s one problem: through four games, Bennett looks nothing his 2016 self. He has lacked explosion, has appeared sluggish and has displayed butterfingers with four drops.
Bennett was brought to Green Bay because he’s a veteran that knows how to win and he is an excellent blocker. The blocking reason is interesting to me. How important is a blocking tight end on a pass-heavy team?
Through four games, Bennett is ranked 17th among all tight ends by averaging 35 yards a game. I really thought that Bennett would mimic Jermichal Finley’s dynamic ability and put the offense on another level. I was wrong. Bennett doesn’t look like Finley, he actually looks like Richard Rodgers.
Which begs the question, who exactly is Bennett? The 10-year pro has notched only four seasons with 55-plus receptions. Finley had three such seasons in just a six-year career.
The Packers need Bennett. Especially now with Davante Adams potentially missing time after a suffering a jarring reckless hit at the hands of Danny Trevathan. Bennett needs to eat up defenders and the middle of the field so that the edges are free for Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Adams and Geronimo Allison. (I would mention Jeff Janis, but I don’t expect him to see an offensive snap this year, barring a rash of injuries.)
I’ve always said that tight ends are the ultimate equalizer in this league. If you have an athletic, dynamic tight end, you have a distinct advantage and will see a mismatch on each and every play.
However, Bennett has turned into an albatross thus far. He is holding this offense back. And to prove it, Bennett really wanted to build a rapport with Rodgers in the summer. However, those two still aren’t on the same page because Bennett still doesn’t have a red zone target.
Do the Packers need Bennett to win another NFC North title? No. But they will need him to secure home field advantage in the NFC playoffs and punch the Packers’ tickets to the first Super Bowl since 2010.
With the amount of injuries this team has gone through, the Packers could use a dominating performance. Not just to reinforce that they weren’t wrong about the former Patriot, but to take some pressure off an offense that had to start a guard at tackle on Thursday because the starters and second-stringers are all hurt.
Filed Under:[URL=/blog/category/1265-lombardi-ave/ted-thompson" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Ted Thompson[/URL][URL=/blog/category/corys-corner" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Cory's Corner[/URL][URL=/blog/category/featured" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Featured[/URL][URL=/blog/category/packer-offense/tight-ends" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Tight ends[/URL]NFL Categories:[URL=/taxonomy/term/12336" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]Tags:[URL=/tag/martellus-bennett" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Martellus Bennett[/URL][URL=/tag/green-bay-packers" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]green bay packers[/URL][URL=/tag/aaron-rodgers" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Aaron Rodgers[/URL]

Like Like

0 points

[/URL]

Continue Reading @ [url=http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/CheeseheadTv/~3/4neb22X1IwE/corys-corner-marty-bennett-is-just-mediocre-519]CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Oops. I got the wrong post.
Bennett's fine. We don't need All World at TE. He is doing a half way decent job. There is a reason he has played for 5 teams. Good but not great can keep you on the move in this league.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
6 years ago
Some of the drops have been bad but it looks to me like we have no real plan of how to use Bennett. If we had Gronkowski running 2 yard routes to the sideline he wouldn't be very effective for us either. Bennett is a huge receiver and we basically do nothing with him vertically and a lot of the passes Rodgers has thrown to him are low which makes it tougher for a really tall guy to catch. Put the ball up there and let the guy use his size and wingspan.

We use him in the passing game basically the same way we'd use a 5'9" slot WR.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Martellus Bennett is being kept in to help block because of the OL injuries. We'll see a better Bennett once we get out Tackles back.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
6 years ago
I'll add to what Zero & Steve stated as well, that it takes time to build chemistry with your new QB as well.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
DoddPower
6 years ago

Martellus Bennett is being kept in to help block because of the OL injuries. We'll see a better Bennett once we get out Tackles back.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree. The Packers haven't been able to use him as they likely intended yet. That should change if the offensive line gets healthy, though. And regardless, he is a beast blocker. A plodding receiver though, but a great blocking TE is valuable, especially with these offensive line injuries.
Barfarn
6 years ago
I'm loathe to criticize the genius that is MM's ability to structure an offense.

Did a blurb on Rich Rodgers' stellar production a year ago when running the seam or middle as opposed to 5 yard curls and as Steve says those 2 yard to the sideline plays that aren't even outs, they are just so flaccid.

The 1-line curls can be a weapon; Bennett cannot be covered and he can fall for 2 more yards. But these "out" routes, which leave TEs vulnerable like a seedling being cut down by a 64" chainsaw and I think to injury as well, leave me perplexed.

There is no way Marty is having trouble with the playbook, per se; but he might be having a little trouble getting on same page as Rodgers with the post snap adjustments. Haven't noticed this because they are running many routes that bring this into play.

This is not a indictment because even Jordy has had a few. EG There was a 3rd and long deep in GB territory and Jordy did a deep slant and Rodgers expected a deep drag. Rodgers expecting a sliding Jordy to be there, threw to 1 yard past marker and Jordy was 4-5 yards beyond that spot. Romo said that was one Rodgers was better off not throwing, but it was a great pass if Rodgers and Jordy were on same age.

As Dodd says, His blocking is valuable. Plus, its lighting a fire under Rich Rodgers booty. in previous years Rodgers has been kinda dainty when he blocks; this year he's more animal/martysaurous.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
I do wonder if Rodgers preference for the ball being as hard as possible plays into drops. We have seen Just about every Wr and TE go through drops at some time with him. When you have a hard ball thrown hard an in positions that are a little low or behind it makes the catch harder to make.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Bigbyfan
6 years ago
We won't see Bennett's true impact on our offense until the Packers get both their starting OTs in the lineup.
blank
beast
6 years ago
In the first 3 weeks of 2016, Jared Cook had 6 catches for 53 yards.
In the first 3 weeks of 2017, Martellus Bennett has 11 catches for 102 yards

In the first 4 weeks of 2017, Martellus Bennett has 17 catches for 141 yards
In the first 10 weeks of 2016, Jared Cook had 6 catches for 53 yards

I think it is fair to say Bennett is doing better than Cook did to start as a Packer. We will just have to wait and see how it finishes.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

In the first 3 weeks of 2016, Jared Cook had 6 catches for 53 yards.
In the first 3 weeks of 2017, Martellus Bennett has 11 catches for 102 yards

In the first 4 weeks of 2017, Martellus Bennett has 17 catches for 141 yards
In the first 10 weeks of 2016, Jared Cook had 6 catches for 53 yards

I think it is fair to say Bennett is doing better than Cook did to start as a Packer. We will just have to wait and see how it finishes.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think the stats for 2016 might be off. The 10 regular season  games (he missed six) for Jared Cook he had 30 receptions and 377 yards with 1 TD.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

2h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

8h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.