Zero2Cool
6 years ago
There seems to be a lot of things that don't connect for me here.

1- The Packers extended McCarthy during the season, and only for one season. Why only one season? Did they know Thompson was out after 2017?

2- What if it was McCarthy who said he only would accept one more year extension? Did coach know Ted was done? If coach didn't know, is he wanting to be done?

3- The Packers have three (Eliot, Brian and Russ) in-house GM candidates, so why use a search firm? As Ron Wolf said, you need a list of candidates BEFORE you even think of firing someone because once that person is fired, you're already behind without a list.

4- When did the Packers know Thompson was done? if it was earlier in the 2017, did they contact John Dorsey?

5- Bob McGinn says board of directors directed Mark Murphy to make a GM change. One of the board told Aaron Nagler there was no direction made, and it was suggested.

Update: Alonzo Highsmith is joining Browns staff with John Dorsey.

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
Life and business can get messy sometimes.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
gbguy20
6 years ago
Get rid of Edgar, bring in driver while we are at it.
steveishere
6 years ago
I don't know why they would give McCarthy a bigger extension when they don't know who the new GM will be. I'd imagine that might limit the interest a little bit (not that there should be any lack) to say hey new GM your current head coach is signed through 2025...

I don't know the deal with the search firms but maybe it's just to help give a better idea of which out of house candidates to talk to. Is there anything weird in the NFL as far as tampering type stuff for executive staff members? Maybe if there is a search firm is a way around that.
musccy
6 years ago

Get rid of Edgar, bring in driver while we are at it.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Why? I don't get this. A great athlete doesn't not guarantee a great coach. Could he be, sure, but there isn't necessarily any correlation.

Barfarn
6 years ago
1265 is a Perfect Non-Mess:

Here’s what is occurring minus all the hysterical hysteria and idiocy!

GB’s BOD and Exec. Committee consist of business-persons; not emotionally reactive uniformed fans or a spoiled man-child that bought an expensive football team toy instead of a big red fire truck that can both ride in the water and fly.

These BUSINESS people had a transition plan; this is what business people do. Amongst their priority objectives was to avoid the lame duck coach or GM.

With a contact thru 2018, after the 2017 season Ted had to retire or be extended. Now this would have happened regardless if Packers went 0-16 or won Super Bowl. It is only the emotional fan that thinks the transition plan was prompted by this past season or that Ted was unfit. If Ted was unfit, he’d have “stepped-down” long ago.

Some time ago, Ted informed Murphy/BOD that this was his last contract as GM, so the transition plan was implemented in 2017. GB having Ted’s successor in place would violate league rules, so all this fan speculation about this person having already been selected and working behind the scenes is pure idiocy. This subterfuge might work with owners like Jerry Jones or the Wilf Brothers, who could have a secret successor portending to work in another capacity and keep it secret. But, this could never happen given GB’s ownership structure.

So now the plan is revealed to us:

1. Ted semi-retires, he probably won’t stay on past 2018, but I hope he does.

2. McCarthy was quietly extended for 1 year during the season. [Why didn’t any of these insiders know about this? Answer: Leaks out of 1265 simply don’t happen! If a “leak” occurs, you can bet there is a purpose behind it. If a dope like McGinn claims info was leaked to him he is either lying or being played as the useful idiot.] This was done to avoid McCarthy being a lame duck. The GM rolls right into his job with a stable staff in place. The GM then has 1 year to make sure he and McCarthy are not oil and water; ya never know. After 2018, McCarty will be let go or extended. Because there will be no lame ducks.

And stop and think, why did McCarthy accept 1 year knowing a bunch of jobs would open up, this makes no sense? Why did Mike get another year from 1265 instead of allowing GM to have his guy in 1st year, again makes no sense? Answer: it’s all part of the plan and it makes sense when one realizes the extremely deep commitment Mike has to 1265 and 1265 to Mike. There is no doubt in my mind one of the key factors 1265 will use to decide on the next GM will hinge on whether 1265 thinks the new GM can work with Mike.

3. Before the announcement, Ted decided to overpay a bit for Linsley and Adams, though the amount of guaranteed money will not encumber the cap if these guys don't perform. Ted/Murphy/1265 probably feared they’d lose a competitive edge in keeping these players if they hit an open market with a new GM.

4. A business-person's search will ensue for the best GM, whether he or she is in or outside the organization. This new GM will be measured against the proven stability and standards set by Ted and Mike and their program that absolutely worked to build from within. The Exec. Committee and greater BOD, Murphy, love these guys, their style and plan. In other words, NOTHING IS CHANGING. And its hell for the Ted Thompson haters; alll they're getting is a younger version who might be around thru 2040. 😂 😂 😂
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I don't know why they would give McCarthy a bigger extension when they don't know who the new GM will be. I'd imagine that might limit the interest a little bit (not that there should be any lack) to say hey new GM your current head coach is signed through 2025...

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

If they knew Thompson wasn't going to be GM in 2018, did they contact John Dorsey? Are they going to contact Scot McCloughan?

I'm just speculating and running scenarios.

I don't know the deal with the search firms but maybe it's just to help give a better idea of which out of house candidates to talk to. Is there anything weird in the NFL as far as tampering type stuff for executive staff members? Maybe if there is a search firm is a way around that.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

The Rooney applies regardless of who conducts the search, per what some radio host said.

UserPostedImage
musccy
6 years ago
Whether they hire internally or not, you'd think Russ, Eliot, or Brian G would feel slighted not getting the job which may lead to departures. Alonzo already appears to be out the door.

I read somewhere today that Murphy says the new GM will get their say of what to do with McCarthy after 2018, so the extension could be meaningless.

A lot of this leads me to believe they'll stick internal. This Ted move feels like it was (at least) months in the making yet they just extended MM, Davante, Linsley. It'd seem like really strange timing if there wasn't an internal succession plan not only in place, but well known within 1265.
68md
6 years ago

There seems to be a lot of things that don't connect for me here.

1- The Packers extended McCarthy during the season, and only for one season. Why only one season? Did they know Thompson was out after 2017?

2- What if it was McCarthy who said he only would accept one more year extension? Did coach know Ted was done? If coach didn't know, is he wanting to be done?

3- The Packers have three (Eliot, Brian and Russ) in-house GM candidates, so why use a search firm? As Ron Wolf said, you need a list of candidates BEFORE you even think of firing someone because once that person is fired, you're already behind without a list.

4- When did the Packers know Thompson was done? if it was earlier in the 2017, did they contact John Dorsey?

5- Bob McGinn says board of directors directed Mark Murphy to make a GM change. One of the board told Aaron Nagler there was no direction made, and it was suggested.

Update: Alonzo Highsmith is joining Browns staff with John Dorsey.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This whole thing is off.... like we are missing a piece of the puzzle. Something else had to have happened we are not privy to.

nerdmann
6 years ago

Whether they hire internally or not, you'd think Russ, Eliot, or Brian G would feel slighted not getting the job which may lead to departures. Alonzo already appears to be out the door.

I read somewhere today that Murphy says the new GM will get their say of what to do with McCarthy after 2018, so the extension could be meaningless.

A lot of this leads me to believe they'll stick internal. This Ted move feels like it was (at least) months in the making yet they just extended MM, Davante, Linsley. It'd seem like really strange timing if there wasn't an internal succession plan not only in place, but well known within 1265.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

That they extended Mike like that during the season, suggests to me that this was all planned ahead of time. They may be hiring consultants for due diligence, but it definitely sounds like they’re staying in house. Ted is staying on to help thhe new guy, which suggests Ball or Wolf. I wanted Highsmith.

Might be a semi-Browns fan.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (2h) : damn those vikings
beast (2h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (3h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (3h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (3h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (9h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (10h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.