wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

In this second edition of the roundup for 2018, we look at some new faces projected to be selected by Green Bay. We are seeing a change in mock drafts this week as the Packers  are now locked in at the #14 draft slot.
The last edition of this Mock Draft Roundup had significantly more offensive players while this one has a solitary tight end that many would argue is projected too highly in this draft class. It’s an exciting time in Green Bay as the coaching staff undergoes an overhaul just about everywhere except at Head Coach. Will we see a change in draft strategy to go along with this change in direction?
Let’s look at the players and projections.
USA Today  & SB Nation : Arden Key , OLB/DE, LSU
The buzz around Arden Key is that he’s a Top-5 talent that could fall due to circumstance. In the Ted Thompson regime, this would be a huge red flag that wouldn’t get a second look, unless he fell to a late round. There’s a new sheriff in town, however, and Key could be a great addition to the Packers as they need pass rush assistance.
The reasons for the precipitous drop would be from a mystery leave of absence for “personal reasons ” (something I’m sure he’ll be interviewed on at the Combine), a shoulder injury, and a pinky injury.
NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah said about Key:
”Key has some similarities to Pro Football Hall of Famer Jason Taylor,” Jeremiah wrote. “They have a similar frame/length and they both have great instincts as pass rushers.”
Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller  echoed the same sentiment , adding that hurt players tend to stay hurt and that’s hard to overcome. I think of Jadeveon Clowney  when I hear this in that Clowney suffered several injuries in college and during his first few pro seasons. At risk of being labeled a bust, Clowney is now a top DE.
The hope is that Key can avoid the initial injury speed-bumps and hit the ground running.
Walter Football : Marcus Davenport , DE, Texas-San Antonio
SI’s Albert Breer mentioned  in an early December column that he spoke to various execs who told him that Davenport  wouldn’t make it out of the Top-15, which is high praise.
The tape shows as much.
The converted wide receiver stands at 6’7” and has a great motor. While he has really good chase down speed, he also has really good contain discipline. That’s big for a young player learning the position and not just chasing sack numbers.
A good combine could have this pass rusher vault up the draft board.
CBS Sports : Mark Andrews , TE, Oklahoma
The lone offensive player here won the Mackey Award as college football’s top tight end and was a unanimous All-American .
The cries for a good tight end have been fairly loud after the Martellus Bennett  fiasco. Some of us (me) have been begging for a first-round TE since the Pack passed up Vernon Davis  to draft A.J. Hawk .
While Andrews  is a good prospect, I’m not entirely certain he’s the type of player that Green Bay needs at TE unless Richard Rogers stays on as a more traditional blocking TE. Andrews is split out wide at Oklahoma on a lot of plays, often drawing blocking assignments against smaller defensive backs.
However, Andrews does have great size (6’5”, 255) and would be a match up nightmare for opposing defenses in the passing game. His skills as a receiver make him a very intriguing red zone weapon for Aaron Rodgers  and Co.
Bleacher Report : Josh Jackson , CB, Iowa
The prior edition of this Mock Draft Round-Up had Bleacher Report making the same projection of Jackson  going #16 to the Pack. They really want Green Bay to pick this guy.
Wisconsin Badgers  fans among us will remember Jackson  for his two pick-6 performance against the Badgers — or more happily for his 3-pick performance against Ohio State.
I’m still worried that Jackson’s high interception rates are a product of right-place-right-time, but it also reminds me a little bit of Marcus Peters  on Kansas City. Similar in size (both 6’ tall), Peters  excels in baiting opposing quarterbacks into making bad throws and it seems that Jackson has that very same potential.
The upside with Jackson is extremely high and the Packers would be adding a boundary corner that can help give Rodgers a short field.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/1/10/16864976/packers-2018-mock-draft-roundup-locked-in-at-14-its-a-defensive-focus]Jordan E. Smith 

Jordan E. Smith wrote:

Considering GB has drafted 10 out of 13 players on defense in the first 2 rounds during the past 5 years-

Do we hope GB goes for defense yet again?

Since it's a new front office I think they should give it a try.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
6 years ago
I’m betting they go defense and my money is on Arden Key 😁
wpr
  • wpr
6 years ago

I’m betting they go defense and my money is on Arden Key 😁

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Can you imagine GB having a guy who knows how to play contain? And the same guy have enough speed to get to the QB? How many times was CM3 a step late and how many times did he take an inside rush only to let a RB get wide on him for big yards?

If Davenport is available he will get a lot of consideration.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
I've been guessing Edge Rusher or CB... since before we knew Ted Thompson was stepping down and because the value of those positions, need at those positions, and because I think a good options might be had come the middle of the first, I'm sticking with them.

No thanks to TE Mark Andrews in the first round... at least what I've seen so far, he has not made me think he has the physical potential to become one of the best TEs in the NFL... which I would want from drafting any TE that high.

UserPostedImage
hugo teles
6 years ago

And a trade exchange position 14, with buffalo by the 21 and 22 positions of them???
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
If the pass rusher we want is off the board, do we drop back or possibly take the best TE available, for example?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Rockmolder
6 years ago

If the pass rusher we want is off the board, do we drop back or possibly take the best TE available, for example?

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Depends on if we're picky in our pass rushers.

If Arden Key falls to 14, I'll eat my hat. I can't imagine that we're getting a realistic shot at him, unless we trade up. Even if teams do still see red flags after the Combine interviews, I don't see the Bengals passing on a player like him at 12. They get guys like that in and get the most out of them. That position opposite Carlos Dunlap could use some filling in by an elite talent.

After that, there's a big chance there'll be a pass rusher who will fit the range. Ferrell sounds like a good pick.

If we don't go that way, I certainly don't hope we're drafting TE at 14. If you're picking TE at 14, he better be something special. I'd rather go after Trey Burton or something.

There's an OT or two around the range we're picking. Bulaga has been in all 16 games just twice in his seven year career, I don't trust Spriggs to start at either tackle position and for the time being, the rookie can just slide into the OG spot Evans held.

Lastly, I'd love it if we could snatch up a guy like Calvin Ridley. I imagine it's not the pick most people want, but I feel like it's pretty obvious just how overrated our receivers are if you look at last season. Nelson looked worse than he is, but will only be regressing at 32 after the injuries he had, Cobb has never lived up to his potential and Adams is a good receiver, but I wouldn't call him top tier. Just think about how this offense could click if you give Rodgers a weapon that's aorund the skill level of an AJ Green, (early) Dez Bryant or the likes.
beast
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Well I don't know BG's style of doing things but I'm guessing no to the TE, mainly because I'm not sure any TE's potential in this draft class is worth a first round pick and maybe not until our 2nd round pick range of a small (giving up a la t e round trade up). I feel like physical Hayden Hurst, is the best right now, but he's also 25 years old already after a failed baseball career. (So Hurst and Richard Rodgers are the same age)

But yeah maybe another position...

Personally I'm guessing someone that they want will be on the board at 14... weather it's pass rusher or coverage guy and maybe OL protection (Bulaga is hurt).

BG is not TT, but I figure some things might transfer over... With the exception of QB and OT, Ted Thompson never drafted an offensive position in the first round... there looks like there could be some interesting prospects at WR around 14... so I'm also thinking we might see the first WR selected in the first round in a while.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
6 years ago
If a bunch of QBs go early there will be a lot of options. I would love to upgrade the WR position. It would stretch the field and open the running game.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
6 years ago
I can see us getting an OT and WR before pass rusher depending how things fall. I'm excited about the possibilities. Top 15 is a flexible place to be.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (5h) : damn those vikings
beast (5h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (5h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (5h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (5h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (12h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (13h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

40m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.