earthquake
6 years ago

I don’t live in Green Bay, but every time I have been there I have seen plenty of black people. Today’s Green Bay is not the 1960’s one.
There is plenty to do there, for any race of people.
It’s not New York or Los Angeles, but it doesn’t have as much crime as the “big cities”.
If you are a family man, and NOT just looking to party, it’s s great place.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

We have plenty of Black folks. My cousins feel they need to date every single one of them. 🙂 (nothing wrong with that either)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Ooof, this sort of attitude is one of the (many) reasons black people feel less than comfortable in Green Bay, WI. Here's a tip, if you have to end your statement with "(nothing wrong with that either)", consider not saying it at all, because the impression you're giving is you do think something is wrong with that. I know you're a well intentioned guy, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't have a problem with it, but it's good to be aware of how it sounds when saying things like that.

In general, if you're telling a story or a joke, and you feel compelled to mention someone's race, it's a good idea to reflect on why you're doing that. Is it important to the story? Does the joke hang on the fact that they are black guys? I'm certainly guilty of this myself on occasion, but it's something I've been trying to stop doing. Speaking with friends of color I've become more aware of how harmful things that we maybe don't notice or perhaps take for granted can be.

Certainly, it's not as bad as it was in the 60's or 70's. This applies to most cities though, the civil rights movement helped improve the plight of many minorities over the last 50 years. We don't have equality, but things are better for sure.

So, are there "plenty of black people" in Green Bay? No, not by any reasonably standard of measurement.

As of 2010, the census data shows the following percentage of Black people:
Buffalo: 39% 
Chicago: 33% 
Kansas City: 30%  
Minneapolis: 19% 
Green Bay: 4% 

Even when compared to nearby midwest cities, Green Bay is an extremely white, monocultural community. Buffalo is probably the closest in size/population, but the demographics show 10x as many black people live there.

I grew up in GB, and I've had the privilege of spending a lot of my life outside of GB as well. Green Bay WI is white as hell, and casual racism among people who live in GB is, from my experience at least, very common, though that is of course anecdotal and limited to the people I've interacted with. In my experience, Green Bay is not an attractive destination for black people, people of color in general, LGBT people, etc. It may be getting better, but most cities are actively getting better, so this is not a unique quality.

Bringing this back to foolball: It's not surprising that free agents do not flock to Green Bay on bargain deals, despite the team's continued success for the last 20+ years. They had to outbid everyone for Reggie White, and they have to outbid for other players today. This was probably a factor in Ted Thompson's reticence to sign many FAs, he didn't want to always be the team overpaying, though I think it's safe to say he probably took that too the far to the other extreme.
blank
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

Ooof, this sort of attitude is one of the (many) reasons black people feel less than comfortable in Green Bay, WI. Here's a tip, if you have to end your statement with "(nothing wrong with that either)", consider not saying it at all, because the impression you're giving is you do think something is wrong with that. I know you're a well intentioned guy, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't have a problem with it, but it's good to be aware of how it sounds when saying things like that.

In general, if you're telling a story or a joke, and you feel compelled to mention someone's race, it's a good idea to reflect on why you're doing that. Is it important to the story? Does the joke hang on the fact that they are black guys? I'm certainly guilty of this myself on occasion, but it's something I've been trying to stop doing. Speaking with friends of color I've become more aware of how harmful things that we maybe don't notice or perhaps take for granted can be.

Certainly, it's not as bad as it was in the 60's or 70's. This applies to most cities though, the civil rights movement helped improve the plight of many minorities over the last 50 years. We don't have equality, but things are better for sure.

So, are there "plenty of black people" in Green Bay? No, not by any reasonably standard of measurement.

Even when compared to nearby midwest cities, Green Bay is an extremely white, monocultural community.

I grew up in GB, and I've had the privilege of spending a lot of my life outside of GB as well. Green Bay WI is white as hell, and casual racism among people who live in GB is, from my experience at least, very common, though that is of course anecdotal and limited to the people I've interacted with. In my experience, Green Bay is not an attractive destination for black people, people of color in general, LGBT people, etc. It may be getting better, but most cities are actively getting better, so this is not a unique quality.

Bringing this back to foolball: It's not surprising that free agents do not flock to Green Bay on bargain deals, despite the team's continued success for the last 20+ years. They had to outbid everyone for Reggie White, and they have to outbid for other players today. This was probably a factor in Ted Thompson's reticence to sign many FAs, he didn't want to always be the team overpaying, though I think it's safe to say he probably took that too the far to the other extreme.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Interesting you took my comment as about color, rather than my cousins being promiscuous. Shame on you.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
6 years ago

Interesting you took my comment as about color, rather than my cousins being promiscuous. Shame on you.

Lol, you're the one who made it about color by mentioning their race.

It is disappointing to see that after putting in the effort to write a carefully considered post, all you get out of it is that. Maybe give introspection a try rather than simply being defensive? Try to imagine how it might feel to be black and hear that joke?

Honestly, this wasn't meant as a dig at you. I know you're a reasonable guy otherwise I wouldn't have bothered writing any of this. Maybe take a step back, and read this again later?
blank
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

Is disappointing to see that after putting in the effort to write a carefully considered post, all you get out of it is that. Maybe give introspection a try rather than simply being defensive? Try to imagine how it might feel to be black and hear that joke?

At work, in a meeting. No time.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
I need a new career if you're able to post on a packers forum while in a meeting. Shit.
earthquake
6 years ago

At work, in a meeting. No time.

Sure, take your time. This is a difficult subject to speak about without ruffling feathers, and reading intent and tone on the internet is a minefield. Let me see if I can frame what I'm saying a bit better.

First off, I won't feel shameful for calling out racism in any form. Now, please don't stop reading at this point, let me explain. I think the only way we can begin to address race relation problems is to talk about them openly and honestly.

I don't look at racism as binary. To me, racism is a spectrum that goes from Hitler on one end to imaginary utopian or whatever you want to label the opposite axis. Most people are good, decent folk who land somewhere in the middle of this spectrum, and where one lands, or even the specific actions that one takes, will vary throughout one's life. If we think of racism as 0 or 1, it prevents meaningful discussion.

I will be the first to admit that I have racist tendencies, I've made racist jokes (and will undoubtedly again in the future, laugh at other's racist jokes, and feel bad about it as well - emotional responses are complex and often contradictory), I have sub-conscience reactions to people of different races in different situations in life (how our perceptions are molded by our personal experiences and our environment is a topic we could spend days discussing). This is something that basically all people experience. Everyone, of every race, is racist to some degree.

There are few people I would consider Racist with a capitol R, and by that I mean someone who is defined or driven by hatred for others. These people are the exception. But that doesn't mean they are the only people capable of racist actions, nor does it mean that all racist actions are equally atrocious.

So when I say something like, maybe you should think about if or why that joke is racist, I'm not calling you a Racist, I'm not saying you're a Bad Person. I'm just challenging you to think and to empathize, which I think on the whole, is a positive thing that we should strive to do as a society. Again, I wouldn't bother doing this if I didn't think you were a good, reasonable, intelligent dude. My response was probably too snarky, for which I apologize.

In the context of understanding why Green Bay is (relative to other NFL cities) a less desirable place for black people to live, I think it's important to look at the culture, which is almost exclusively the culture of the white people who live there or grew up there such as myself. When you get these sort of monocultures, attitudes tend to lean more exclusive, less welcoming to minorities or outsiders in general (this is evident throughout the world/history). Generally, the more diversity you get in one area, the better different kinds of people people get along (though there are of course exceptions). Usually, the cure for a lack of diversity is more diversity, but often it's a chicken an egg problem. People of color don't want to come to GB, WI, because there aren't many people of color there. How does one solve that problem? Generally, by making others feel more welcome, which can be done at many levels, not just the obvious ones. Now, that's a gross simplification of the issue, but at the end of the day, when things get better for those with less opportunities, they tend to get better for everyone.

TL;DR: Rantings of a bleeding heart liberal on a conservative leaning website lol.
blank
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

It is disappointing to see that after putting in the effort to write a carefully considered post, all you get out of it is that. Maybe give introspection a try rather than simply being defensive? Try to imagine how it might feel to be black and hear that joke?

Honestly, this wasn't meant as a dig at you. I know you're a reasonable guy otherwise I wouldn't have bothered writing any of this. Maybe take a step back, and read this again later?

My apologies, I was in a meeting and waiting for the projector to display my screen and hit the PH website. I am addicted to this place, it's a flaw of mine! Anyhow, I was being facetious with the shame on you. You've never met me, hung out with me, you don't know me. Also, you don't know my cousins or their ... 'ways'. I guess it was more of an inside joke for those in my family who read the site. So I was skimming posts, saw yours and thought I'd chime in. I wasn't offended or nothing by what you said if that was the perception my "shame on you" gave off. Funny thing, I had "shame on you, fucker" at first and I was like "no no that'll be taken wrong". Go figure, my softer joke came off wrong still! haha.

We in Green Bay have lots of different types of folks. Hispanics, Black, Oriental, it's a huge mix here. You can't go 10 minutes downtown without getting the full melting pot feeling. I actually do not like that Green Bay is seemingly turning into a "big" city. When I moved back from Colorado, all the sudden they were building these "fly over" highways. What the shit? NO! I loved our small town charm we once had.

Thus, I have decided to keep my family in the Howard/Suamico area and once the girls are grown and kicked out, err, moved out willingly on their own, I intend on moving a bit more north away from people so there's less "city" feel.

Sorry if I came off wrong to you. I didn't mean to shake your world from the ground. (get it? see what I did there? do ya???)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I need a new career if you're able to post on a packers forum while in a meeting. Shit.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Haha, it was just me waiting for the projector to start working and waiting for others to join the meeting.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
6 years ago

Even when compared to nearby midwest cities, Green Bay is an extremely white, monocultural community. Buffalo is probably the closest in size/population, but the demographics show 10x as many black people live there.

Great post. Even supported with some data. Props.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

Great post. Even supported with some data. Props.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If we could just get him to post more often ...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (8h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (13h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (15h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (15h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (17h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (17h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (18h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (18h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (18h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.