nerdmann
6 years ago
A freakin plus. 👍

Get an elite CB, AND another first round pick, then add another top 5 CB in the second. I mean, damn.

I wanted to trade up for Equanimius in the 4th. 🤣
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
6 years ago
The main thing I take away from this draft is my first impression of Goot. I was a little worried he was a shallow crowd please with that whole Jimmy Graham situation.

He seems to have acquitted himself very nicely in this draft.

I still think Murphy is gonna burn this franchise down, but maybe Goot can get us a Lombardi or two before we crash and burn.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

All post are indeed welcome, yet few have had the courage to post your grade on the Packers 2018 Draft Class. I graded it with a B+.

Again, how do you grade the Packers 2018 Draft ? [confused]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

It is not courage nor the lack there of. You can't give a real grade to a bunch of young men that have not even stepped on to a practice field little alone actually played in a game that counts.

I don't mind it if people give their opinion as to what they think the grade will eventually be three years from now because that is when we will have enough data to make an informed decision. Until then it's a beauty contest. They look good in their snappy suits and big smiles as they strut across the stage to handshakes and hugs.

Why not give an A+? Any time you can get a first round pick in the next draft for the paltry fee of 5th round pick you have accomplished something. Goot checked off many of the necessary boxes of need. You can't get everything out of a draft. It's ok he didn't get a TE. There were not many of any significant value. That's why he went the FA route.

For the most part the first 3 picks are the ones who will contribute the most over their careers. All 3 fill a need. All 3 look as if they will contribute in some manner in their first year. Hopefully Cole Madison will be able to contribute as an OG in the future.

I know you will think I am being critical of you. That is not my intent.
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

Why would Cleveland not be at the top of the list? They had 4 picks in the top 35. Regardless of any other selections that should put them in the top 3.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree but I think most people can't get over the fact that they took Ward rather than Chubb so they knock them down for it. If the Jets would have taken Chubb and the Browns then took Ward I think people would have said great draft. Also its a little bit because I don't think anyone was really expecting them to take Mayfield so they can't say "see I was right about the pick"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

I agree but I think most people can't get over the fact that they took Ward rather than Chubb so they knock them down for it. If the Jets would have taken Chubb and the Browns then took Ward I think people would have said great draft. Also its a little bit because I don't think anyone was really expecting them to take Mayfield so they can't say "see I was right about the pick"

Originally Posted by: sschind 

But it says "Most improved teams" not "Who did the best job of selecting players based on the options available to them." The Brownies were so woefully bad last year they couldn't help but be the most improved. Or at least one of the top 3 improved teams. That doesn't mean they will make the playoffs. They can and just might end up 8-8. If they improve by 7 or 8 games wouldn't that more than likely be one of the three best?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I don't know a damn thing about college players and didn't watch any non-Badgers football so I can't speak too well on a grade. However, I have read and listened to a lot of scouts and college "experts" who have spoken quite highly about several of the Packers draft picks. Naively, I feel confident in this draft in a way I haven't in a few drafts so I'm going to roll with an optimistic A+.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
That’s me too, Zero. I only watch Badger games, so I don’t know anything about college kids. But all I hear from others is pretty good comments about our draft.
I’m excited about the coming season!
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

I don't know a damn thing about college players and didn't watch any non-Badgers football so I can't speak too well on a grade. However, I have read and listened to a lot of scouts and college "experts" who have spoken quite highly about several of the Packers draft picks. Naively, I feel confident in this draft in a way I haven't in a few drafts so I'm going to roll with an optimistic A+.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Based upon the knowledge currently at our disposal, this was a GREAT draft. Our GM did a GREAT job in the present moment, not only netting js a stable of good young players, but an extra first rounder next year. BOOM.

To me, it is a fallacy to judge a draft three hears later. Hindsight is 20/20. You never know what is goin to happen to a team or a plauer, particularly on a franchise like ours that can never keep guys healthy.

I don’t want a GM that can name great drafts in the past that have already happened. I want a guy who can get down in the trenches WIH THE KNOWLEDGE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE, and give me the best chance at winning, going forward.
sschind
5 years ago

But it says "Most improved teams" not "Who did the best job of selecting players based on the options available to them." The Brownies were so woefully bad last year they couldn't help but be the most improved. Or at least one of the top 3 improved teams. That doesn't mean they will make the playoffs. They can and just might end up 8-8. If they improve by 7 or 8 games wouldn't that more than likely be one of the three best?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree but they all thought they had Cleveland figured out and are upset that Dorsey made them look foolish by not taking who they though they should so even though the Browns really improved their team they won't admit it.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Based upon the knowledge currently at our disposal, this was a GREAT draft. Our GM did a GREAT job in the present moment, not only netting js a stable of good young players, but an extra first rounder next year. BOOM.

To me, it is a fallacy to judge a draft three hears later. Hindsight is 20/20. You never know what is goin to happen to a team or a plauer, particularly on a franchise like ours that can never keep guys healthy.

I don’t want a GM that can name great drafts in the past that have already happened. I want a guy who can get down in the trenches WIH THE KNOWLEDGE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE, and give me the best chance at winning, going forward.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I seriously doubt most GM who worth their weight in spam could care less how prior drafts rate out. They better always be looking forward or they will be looking for a new gig. Therefore they only people who actually "rate" a draft are the people whose opinion doesn't really matter in the first place. IE: media types and the fan base.

In case you didn't realize it hindsight is how you actually evaluate a draft. We can pretend Cleveland is going to have 6 Hall of Famers come out of this draft but until we actually see the results it is just fantasy. Look at who many people were made at Uncle Teddy on April 23, 2005. They were trying to judge the draft without any facts on which to base it. How many people who didn't want Aaron in 2005 are glad he is on the Packers today?

You base your opinion on conjecture and I will wait and base mine on real facts. I am sure we will both be happy for it.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (11h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (16h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (18h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (21h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (21h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (21h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (21h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (22h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.