Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I struggle to believe the notion the Packers would divulge that kind of a comment to a free agent. What do you think about this interaction?

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
Maybe they didn’t. Maybe he got the info from Favre himself.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
They shared the same agent so more info was shared due to that I would think
beast
5 years ago

I struggle to believe the notion the Packers would divulge that kind of a comment to a free agent. What do you think about this interaction?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't fully trust Moss, because I feel like he has told different versions of the same story. Including one where he claims Thompson was attempting to explain his expectations to Moss (including letting Driver lead), and Moss claims he hung up the phone because he didn't want to hear it and because after he heard the Patriots were interested, that's where he wanted to be traded too. (Plus Moss was demanding a one year deal, which the Patriots were offering, while the Packers wanted a two year deal).

But I do believe that Thompson always consider whom the Packers positional locker room leaders were, and always attempted to keep them happy and the highest paid, which is why after signing Woodson to the highest Packers DB contract, they redid Harris' contract so that he then got more than Woodson. I also think that's why they released Woodson/Sitton (and maybe Nelson) instead of asking them to take pay cuts.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything about Favre signing anything in that time range. But I think I found where Andrew Brandt wrote that they signed Favre to a 10 year contract in 2001. So it's unlikely he'd be signing an extension in 2007. BUT they got very cap tight in Sherman's years and they often manipulated the cap by having Favre redoing his contract, so he got more guaranteed money and less base contract (the same amount, just spreading it out). So it's possible he could of signed something for the sake of cap adjustments, but the amount Favre was getting was the same (just the guaranteed became more).

Though I sorta doubt Favre was willing to share money with Moss, because I remember one former OL (I want to say it was OG Whale maybe?) and he suggested that why they all loved Favre, he was infamously frugal and wouldn't spend his money on them. Even telling a story where they thought Favre bought all of them a free vacation trip to Mexico, only to realize Favre didn't tell them the whole story... and after spending the night in the hotel, Favre then told them it was an autograph business trip for some rich guy who was paying for all of them and that Favre didn't pay a dime.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
The Packers wanted Randy Moss on a two year deal, Moss refused and wanted a one year deal so he could "prove it" and earn a large contract. The Packers didn't want to give up a draft pick for a rental on a player (I assume here) they weren't sure was the same ole Randy Moss. That took the Packers back and then the Patriots came in with a little sweeter deal and Raiders didn't ask the Packers to beat it and took the deal. I've often read that the Raiders just shunned the Packers, but thinking about it more, the Patriots may have said "take it now or leave it" and Raiders took it.

I struggle to believe Donald Driver (remember his later years here) would have balked at Randy Moss making more than him.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I've often read that the Raiders just shunned the Packers, but thinking about it more, the Patriots may have said "take it now or leave it" and Raiders took it.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think the negotiations problems were with Randy Moss, and not the Raiders. The Raiders probably would of prefer Moss be in the NFC, so I highly doubt they shunned the Packers (unless Al Davis had some personal beef).

I think the biggest problem was that Randy Moss had leverage, in that he had a two years and 21 million left on his current contract, that no one was going to paid at that time. So teams had to negotiate with Moss on a reduced contract.

Here is an article by Andrew Brandt (who I believe a lot more than Randy Moss). First Brandt agrees that Randy's contract amount was a problem, and then claims the deal breaker was the contract length as Moss was demanding a one year deal... Patriots gave him the one year offer, the Packers stuck with two year offer.

One-year deal breaker

Moss was scheduled to make $9.75 million for 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. Those amounts may well have been $100 million and $200 million; he was not making what was on the contract. We needed to bring in Moss, coming off a year with a pedestrian 43 receptions, at a more reasonable number with upside. The Patriots were also showing interest.

I negotiated with Moss’s agent while the recruiting from the alpha dogs – Brett and Tom Brady — intensified. Moss was getting texts and calls throughout the weekend from both Favre and Brady both imploring him to come and form a powerhouse duo.

The offers from both teams were very similar for 2007, both around $3 million with additional incentives. Our proposal allowed Moss to make more than the Patriots proposal, although we had significant money tied to 45-man active roster bonuses, protecting us from injury if he could not play.

Our offer, however, required a second year in 2008. Moss and his agents were adamant that he wanted only a one-year deal. Having lost market value from his Raider experience, Moss would agree to a massive pay reduction for 2007 but wanted to hit the open market in 2008 coming off what he expected to be a big season.

The feeling in our discussions was that we did not want to rent Randy for a year only to have him shop to highest bidder in a few months trying to recoup some of his lost earnings in 2007. We discussed different ideas, but in the end we were insistent on a two-year deal. While we haggled about an appropriate roster bonus to activate the second year of the deal, the Patriots relented on the length and agreed to a one-year deal. That was it; he was going with Brady.

Andrew Brandt  wrote:

I agree, Driver probably wouldn't as long as it made the team better. But I think it is (or was) Packers management general locker room management philosophy, and a specific player (in this case, Driver) opinion would not be asked or considered, as they would stick with their philosophy, that they believe the guy they want leading the position group, should be the highest paid.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
I do recall some talk at the time, that Moss would have to show respect to DD as a team leader. Bottom line is, Bert was making a power play. He wanted to show he was running the team. Fortunately we had an all time great GM in place who knew how to conduct business.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
Maybe Brett offered to renegotiate but no way did Moss go to Boston because of DD. The Brandt story sounds familiar.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (19m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (25m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (26m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (28m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (23h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.