nerdmann
5 years ago
One thing’s for sure, if they were gonna make a play for Khalil Mack, they’d have to free up some cap space.

Personally, I’d stand pat, keep both firsts for next year. Get a coule blue chip pass rushers in a draft that will be deep in that position, have them for a decade.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

One thing’s for sure, if they were gonna make a play for Khalil Mack, they’d have to free up some cap space.

Personally, I’d stand pat, keep both firsts for next year. Get a coule blue chip pass rushers in a draft that will be deep in that position, have them for a decade.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Salary Cap Available
2018 : $11,210,535
2019 : $38,054,777
2020 : $96,955,833

Sign Khahil Mack to a 3 year $29 million contract that is fully guaranteed.
$7 million, $10 million and $12 million.

Of course, not the best example, but it wouldn't be hard to use that guaranteed cash to really push someone over the top of signing or a signing bonus that is spread out over the duration of the contract.

As Andrew Brandt says, if there is a desire to sign someone, the team can find a way to make it happen.

I would say throw a 1st round pick plus Clay Matthews and a 3rd rounder for 2020 Draft that can go up to 2nd round at the Raiders for Mack. That'll free up ~$10 million of 2018 cap, and it's an upgrade at the position. Win-Win.
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

Salary Cap Available
2018 : $11,210,535
2019 : $38,054,777
2020 : $96,955,833

Sign Khahil Mack to a 3 year $29 million contract that is fully guaranteed.
$7 million, $10 million and $12 million.

Of course, not the best example, but it wouldn't be hard to use that guaranteed cash to really push someone over the top of signing or a signing bonus that is spread out over the duration of the contract.

As Andrew Brandt says, if there is a desire to sign someone, the team can find a way to make it happen.

I would say throw a 1st round pick plus Clay Matthews and a 3rd rounder for 2020 Draft that can go up to 2nd round at the Raiders for Mack. That'll free up ~$10 million of 2018 cap, and it's an upgrade at the position. Win-Win.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If we could get Mack for a first and a third and Matthews AND get him to sign for 29 million over three years I'd say its a no brainer. The trade might be acceptable but I think Mack would laugh at that offer. Laugh loudly and for a very long time. Miller got 70 million guaranteed I doubt Mack would settle for 29 unless you are planning on adding a big signing bonus to that amount. He is scheduled to make 13 million this year and he is holding out I don't see him signing for the next 3 years for less than that.

Second those 2019 and 2020 numbers will likely go down after we sign all our FAs or their replacements. those numbers represent the players under contract for those years we will undoubtedly need to add a few more to get up to our full roster compliment. On top of that with the numbers I expect Rodgers to get I don't really see his new deal offering much in the way of first year cap relief (as some restructures do) unless it hits the back end very hard and I don't like that idea.

You can certainly make it happen but that does not mean its a smart move.

Zero2Cool
5 years ago

If we could get Mack for a first and a third and Matthews AND get him to sign for 29 million over three years I'd say its a no brainer. The trade might be acceptable but I think Mack would laugh at that offer. Laugh loudly and for a very long time. Miller got 70 million guaranteed I doubt Mack would settle for 29 unless you are planning on adding a big signing bonus to that amount. He is scheduled to make 13 million this year and he is holding out I don't see him signing for the next 3 years for less than that.

Second those 2019 and 2020 numbers will likely go down after we sign all our FAs or their replacements. those numbers represent the players under contract for those years we will undoubtedly need to add a few more to get up to our full roster compliment. On top of that with the numbers I expect Rodgers to get I don't really see his new deal offering much in the way of first year cap relief (as some restructures do) unless it hits the back end very hard and I don't like that idea.

You can certainly make it happen but that does not mean its a smart move.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Von Miller just got himself a ring months prior to getting that contract.
Khahil Mack does not have a ring.

I'm banking on Mack wanting a ring more than cashing in. He knows Aaron Rodgers gives you that chance. Even Jon Gruden is quoted to say 'We weren’t very good last year, on defense, with Khalil Mack.'.

Back to Miller's contract, he's scheduled to have cap hits of $25 million in 2019 and 2020 and another $22 million in 2021. Base salary is just ~$17 million each of those years. And there's an out in 2020 for the Broncos. Essentially making it a four year contract. I'm saying three year deal (and I even said the $29 million wasn't best example so back off [boxing] 😝 ) FULLY guaranteed with a legitimate Super Bowl contending team.

He gets one or two super bowl rings, then around 30 years old some team (e.g. Browns) sign him for some crazy $100 million after the 2020 season (remember, CBA expires after 2020 season).

What I'm getting at here is the allure of winning a ring, plus the FUTURE salary cap available of the Packers plus having that second 1st round pick in 2019 gives the Packers a lot of ammunition that with the right pitch to Mack and creative configuration of salary would not be as difficult as some are saying.

Back to Gruden's comment ... maybe Mack is playing hard ball in spite of Gruden and would take less with the Packers than he would with Raiders?

Every NFL player's dream is to win the super bowl. Mack won't be getting there with Raiders. He could be what puts the Packers over the top. The Packers can/should take some of a risky deal (saying go kinda crazy) because I highly doubt we'll continue our fortunate of Favre to Rodgers to ...
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Von Miller just got himself a ring months prior to getting that contract.
Khahil Mack does not have a ring.

I'm banking on Mack wanting a ring more than cashing in. He knows Aaron Rodgers gives you that chance. Even Jon Gruden is quoted to say 'We weren’t very good last year, on defense, with Khalil Mack.'.

Back to Miller's contract, he's scheduled to have cap hits of $25 million in 2019 and 2020 and another $22 million in 2021. Base salary is just ~$17 million each of those years. And there's an out in 2020 for the Broncos. Essentially making it a four year contract. I'm saying three year deal (and I even said the $29 million wasn't best example so back off [boxing] 😝 ) FULLY guaranteed with a legitimate Super Bowl contending team.

He gets one or two super bowl rings, then around 30 years old some team (e.g. Browns) sign him for some crazy $100 million after the 2020 season (remember, CBA expires after 2020 season).

What I'm getting at here is the allure of winning a ring, plus the FUTURE salary cap available of the Packers plus having that second 1st round pick in 2019 gives the Packers a lot of ammunition that with the right pitch to Mack and creative configuration of salary would not be as difficult as some are saying.

Back to Gruden's comment ... maybe Mack is playing hard ball in spite of Gruden and would take less with the Packers than he would with Raiders?

Every NFL player's dream is to win the super bowl. Mack won't be getting there with Raiders. He could be what puts the Packers over the top. The Packers can/should take some of a risky deal (saying go kinda crazy) because I highly doubt we'll continue our fortunate of Favre to Rodgers to ...

Sir I respectfully disagree. There are many professional players in all sports that care more about the paycheck than awards including championships. I won't look into their hearts and minds and tell you it is 10% or 40% but there are many who would not be there if there wasn't the chance of the huge payday. It's a generalization and to take it one step further I suspect that the larger number of these men are younger and thus are still in their rookie contracts. They know they may only get one chance at the big contract and they don't want to miss out. They will work hard and get through the first 4 or 5 years and then cash in. Once they have that under their belt they can then look around for other things like championships.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Sir I respectfully disagree. There are many professional players in all sports that care more about the paycheck than awards including championships. I won't look into their hearts and minds and tell you it is 10% or 40% but there are many who would not be there if there wasn't the chance of the huge payday. It's a generalization and to take it one step further I suspect that the larger number of these men are younger and thus are still in their rookie contracts. They know they may only get one chance at the big contract and they don't want to miss out. They will work hard and get through the first 4 or 5 years and then cash in. Once they have that under their belt they can then look around for other things like championships.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Before I attack you viciously over the interwebz like a true keyboard warrior, what specifically are you disagreeing with? (before the police get phoned, I know Wayne personally and he knows I'm being facetious, so relax your titties)
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
Trade Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley straight up for Carr and Mack.

Packers don't have to worry about extending Aaron, Carr is under contract, Mack could be signed.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Before I attack you viciously over the interwebz like a true keyboard warrior, what specifically are you disagreeing with? (before the police get phoned, I know Wayne personally and he knows I'm being facetious, so relax your titties)

What a dog you are Z. I hate it when you try and pen me down and make me work this hard.
😠

In part this line:

I'm banking on Mack wanting a ring more than cashing in. He knows Aaron Rodgers gives you that chance.

More specifically this:

Every NFL player's dream is to win the super bowl.

Is this clear enough for you or do I need to 'splain it to you Lucy? 🤤

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

What a dog you are Z. I hate it when you try and pen me down and make me work this hard.
😠

In part this line:

More specifically this:

Is this clear enough for you or do I need to 'splain it to you Lucy? 🤤

Originally Posted by: wpr 

WHERE ARE THE SCRATCH AN SNIFF PICTURES!!!

Okay. I'm banking Mack wants a ring more than money based on the few interviews I've heard.

And 'every' was too strong. I think a vast majority of NFL players dream of winning the Super Bowl. There are certainly some who play because of the financial side of things. I just think those are really far and few inbetween because to excel at this level, you really have to work your ass off.

UserPostedImage
isocleas2
5 years ago
How much were the Raiders offering Mack? I imagine any negotiations start there and usually the team trading for a player pays more than that.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (12h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (16h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
5h / Random Babble / Novalee

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.