gbguy20
  • gbguy20
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

The Packers settled their backup QB battle and got a draft pick for next year. The Green Bay Packers  have apparently settled their backup quarterback situation for 2018. On Wednesday morning, ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Rob Demovsky reported that the Packers have traded fourth-year quarterback Brett Hundley to the Seattle Seahawks  in exchange for a draft pick in 2019. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport later reported that the pick would be a “mid-to-late rounder.”  (Update: Rapoport now reports that it is a 6th-round pick. )
The Pa ckers had given Hundley  and DeShone Kizer  roughly equal snaps throughout this preseason in an effort to evaluate the two quarterbacks who were competing to be Aaron Rodgers ’ backup. Kizer will likely get the start in the Packers’ preseason finale in Kansas City on Thursday.
On Tuesday, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy laughed off a question about whether the Packers might give Kizer playing time ahead of Hundley on Thursday.  He then went on to say that rookie Tim Boyle would get “more snaps than the other two” quarterbacks due to not playing in Oakland. With Rodgers sitting out this week’s game, expect Boyle to get at least the entire second half as an audition for a spot on the 53-man roster.
The Packers selected Hundley in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft with the 147th overall selection. He spent his rookie year as the third-string quarterback behind Rodgers and Scott Tolzien, then took over as Rodgers’ backup in 2016. Last season, he started nine games after Rodgers broke his collarbone, completing 60.8% of his passes for 1836 yards, 9 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions. That was good for a passer rating of 70.6, and he also added 270 yards and two touchdowns rushing. Hundley will likely back up Russell Wilson in Seattle, perhaps competing with Austin Davis for the number two job in the Seahawks’ final preseason game.
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/8/29/17795834/packers-trade-qb-brett-hundley-seahawks-6th-round-draft-pick-reports-deshone-kizer-backup]Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

This is the only place I see the 6th round pick reported. Kind of low. Mixed between happy and disappointed
nerdmann
5 years ago
Brett “Trade Value” Hundley!

If he comes back and beats us, Mike will be FIRED! 😂
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
5 years ago
Sixth rounder ain't bad.
I wasn't expecting any more than a bag of practice balls.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

This is the only place I see the 6th round pick reported. Kind of low. Mixed between happy and disappointed

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I know. I have been texting my son. My first reaction is they used a 5th to get him. They spent several years developing him and in return they only get a 6th back. Seems a little low.

On the other hand, after some of his games last year they are lucky to get anything for him.

It's a far cry from whom ever it was that said GB would get a 1st for him. (That was before his 2017 performance.)

Overall I am relieved they don't have a bottleneck. GB traded for Kizer so barring a catastrophic PS, he was clearly going to be #2.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

The Packers plan to keep both Kizer and rookie Tim Boyle, an undrafted free agent, on their 53-man roster, barring something unforeseen between now and Saturday's final cuts, a source said.

ESPN Rob Demovsky  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I'm surprised we got a 6th for Brett Hundley, I was expecting undisclosed future pick, which would be a 7th rounder. And I found this "report" interesting, Packers plan to keep DeShone Kizer and Tim Boyle on 53-man roster.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
A 7th would have been a slap in the face. A 6th at least shows some respect. Breaking even would have been ideal but this is the next best case scenario. Depending on how Kizer and Boyle develop, perhaps an even better trade looms in the future.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
In a bizarrely shittily written article, NFL.com has the compensation as a sixth-round pick as well. Hell of a comedown for a player drafted in the fifth round.

It's a little concerning to me that the only quarterback on this roster besides Rodgers with any experience is a second-year player who lead the league in interceptions last year. I don't know what Kizer showed this preseason to beat out Hundley. Maybe he just won on potential alone. His ceiling is theoretically higher than Hundley's, and potential does seem to command a high price in this league.

In any case, for what it's worth, the Packers have managed to upgrade their backup quarterback position from a fifth-round pick to a second-round pick for a relatively minimal price. Hopefully it will never matter!
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I think this is more about making room for Kizer and Boyle, who have better upside potential, than getting value for Hundley.

On one hand, I'm surprised to get anything other than a conditional pick for Hundley... on the other hand, some have mentioned that veteran back-up QBs are sometimes getting comp picks. So in theory, the Seahawks could get a 5th or 6th comp pick back, if Hundley signs with a different team and they qualify for comp picks and Seahawks might be able to get that pick back.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

It's a little concerning to me that the only quarterback on this roster besides Rodgers with any experience is a second-year player who lead the league in interceptions last year. I don't know what Kizer showed this preseason to beat out Hundley. Maybe he just won on potential alone. His ceiling is theoretically higher than Hundley's, and potential does seem to command a high price in this league.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Being without Hundley is no more concerning, to me, than with Hundley... I mean if Rodgers goes down the Packers are screwed with or without Hundley so my concern level hasn't changed one bit based on Hundley being gone.

Kizer has shown a hell lot better pose in the pocket than Hundley, who (as a QB) gets alligator arms after being hit... and Kizer can watch down field, watch the pass rush and chew bubble gum all at the same time, which Hundley could only do two at a time and he wouldn't put down the bubble gum.

In preseason Hundley throwing looked better, but that's because he's experienced with everything for 3 years now... where as the Packers were asking Kizer to completely flip his passing footwork (or the other side of the family as Mike McCarthy put it), also new scheme, system.

The Browns last year had a ton of pressure and Kizer was stupidly putting it all on himself. Kizer did great until the redzone and the huge pressure moments where he'd screw up... but if this team can run the ball, you can use him and his great awareness to use him as a game manager and not a play maker and take the pressure off of him.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (2h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (2h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (2h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (2h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (2h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (5h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.