Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I catch myself doing this all the time, and once in a while I am able to reflect upon it and come full circle in my thinking.

Sitting in a cold tree stand last night, listening the to the wind howl and a baron woods for the most part, my mind was wandering about many topics.. the economy, home budget adjustments, how to pay for Christmas.. then as I became tired and frustrated with that.. my mind moved to football and more directly, this Packer team.

No stat sheet or internet available, I started to reflect upon the early 90's and more in the crosshairs, 1992-1995.

I remember the 1992 season as being on of great joy.. coming off a coaching tenure of excitement yet frustration in Lindy's group.. sometimes coined the Cardiac Pack.. the 92 season was a breath of fresh air, new coaching fundamentals, a guy on the sideline that was a tyrant yet brought a game plan that you could see that worked on offense. They finished, as I looked it up this morning 9-7.. but progress..

Fast forward to 1993.. could they take the next step.. Favre was named the starter for good, holes and depth being filled in; including a major one in Reggie White.. but in my mind I remember being a little let down with the team, expected more. Again.. I thought yesterday, knowing Favre and Holmgren never had a losing or 500 season.. that it must have been the same.. yep 9-7 but a step.. the playoffs.

But the year that I distinctly remember is 1994.. I remember Sean Jones being added.. Paup becoming a threat in the pass rush and White coming off a strong year.. expectations were very high for that growth we were waiting for.. and it was an up and down year.. we progressed a bit but Favre has great year but we were still losing games.. I remember being frustrated that year.. why weren't we taking the next step.. year three of this coaching staff.. year four of this GM and the team is not elevating.. yes Brett was growing into a full blown star.. but the team was average in the standings..

Then it came.. the Falcon game with all the chips on the line.. we needed a win to have a chance at the playoffs that year.. disappointing for a team that should have grown... and guess what.. you knew.. right then that this team, this collection of a brass nutted GM.. a fiery yet players coach and a band of players was going to get it done someday.. you just knew it. I was there.. it was electric an atmosphere I have ever been in.. amazing, I wish I could have bottled that energy.. speechless for the most part yet today.

We went on to get crushed by the Cowboys in the playoffs that year.. a trend that would be familiar to us by that time.. but there was something about that Atlanta game.. an under performing team breaking through..

1995 we took that step in growth that we striving.. it ended short that year but we were on our way, the window opened to the Superbowl than cold but thrilling day in Milwaukee against Atlanta...

Why bore you with these wandering thoughts of a cold and twisted mind.. we are only in the fourth year of Ted's control and third of a bright and creative coach in Mike... might not have the noted fire of Holmgren but just as dynamic of an offensive mind.

I bore you because back then, before they became legends and Superbowl champs, that crew of Wolf, Holmgren, Favre, White and others.. had disappointments, underachieving seasons and games.. just as this group is going through today..

Will this group make that next leap?

Will they have a signature game yet this season?

We don't know.. I wish we did.

But that is part of the reason we love this game.. you never know what is going to happen..

Think back to 1994.. or post season 1995... things didn't look all rosy then at times either...

It is a good thing we had patience... Superbowl 31 was in the waiting for that patience.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I think the team is on the verge of making a leap. I'm just struggling to have optimism in which direction that leap is going to be in.
UserPostedImage
Roddyboy
15 years ago
Pack,

I see what you're saying, but this is not the same situation at all.

First off, Ted Thompson has been here for FOUR YEARS already...by the 4th year...Wolf had already had his SB trophy.

Also, Wolf was adding a butt-load of good, solid, veteran FA talent along the way...same can't be said for TT.

Third, and most importantly, this team was 14-3 last year for a reason, and that reason was BF. This was to be the year that the Packers were supposed to make a run for the SB, if Ted knew anything about building a championship team, like Wolf did, instead of merely being a collector of talent. Instead of making that run, this team has clearly regressed....and why? Because Ted Thompson wanted to rush his pet project, Aaron Rodgers into the fray while the guy who got you there was willing to come back and help you take a crack at it again. And what does Thompson do? In a classless (and gutless) move, he locks him out of the locker room and mumbles some nonsense about the "train leaving the station". Well, it seems to me that the train has left the station and is piled up on the tracks, somewhere...

It also seems like many people in Packerland are continually making excuses for Ted Thompson as to why we are still rebuilding in his FOURTH YEAR as GM of the GB Packers....

Why was Mike Sherman ushered out when all he did was get in the playoffs for a guy who is continually "rebuilding" the Packers in the hopes for some pipe dream that will never be realized?

What is the time-table for Ted Thompson to bring home a championship....2015? .....2020?

And why does he get such leeway when Mike Sherman did not? (I'm not even a MS fan....but his record is better than TT's is so far).

When do some fans start to see the writing on the wall...???

And also, after FOUR YEARS, why isn't there more of a sense of urgency amongst some fans around here?
blank
4PackGirl
15 years ago
if you honestly believe Ted Thompson is to blame for every poor decision made, that's cool with me - i really don't know if he's completely to blame or not. i'd venture to guess that NOBODY knows exactly who made which decisions except for the packers board so constantly blaming one person for ANYTHING is dumb.

what i do know is that no one can predict injuries in any given season nor do i believe that a team can be 100% covered in key positions - no WAY would salary cap allow that.

patience is a virtue for a reason, guys. this is not life or death - i love my packers & i'm willing to see where this team, GM, & coaching staff leads us. and yes, even if that means we have a couple "lean" years.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Why was Mike Sherman ushered out when all he did was get in the playoffs for a guy who is continually "rebuilding" the Packers in the hopes for some pipe dream that will never be realized?

That right there cost you a lot of credit in your post. BIG TIME.
UserPostedImage
Roddyboy
15 years ago
Zero,

I'm not a Mike Sherman fan by any stretch, but you have to admit that Ted Thompson has been rebuilding for some time now, and to introduce a new QB and say that you are "still" rebuilding is stretching the bounds of believability, imo.

I just don't think that TT's philosophy of hoping to hit on all your draft picks is going to work, in the long run.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

Zero,

I'm not a Mike Sherman fan by any stretch, but you have to admit that Ted Thompson has been rebuilding for some time now, and to introduce a new QB and say that you are "still" rebuilding is stretching the bounds of believability, imo.

I just don't think that Ted Thompson's philosophy of hoping to hit on all your draft picks is going to work, in the long run.

"Roddyboy" wrote:

Sherman had a great team, and underachieved with it.
Thats fact.
Now all the good players from those teams are gone, and you HAVE to rebuild.
Thats fact too.
NO team stays on top....and with Sherman, we never even made it to the top.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
15 years ago
Roddy,

It was 14-4 or 13-3 if you don't want to include the playoffs, not 14-3. How many times are you going to get that wrong? It's literally in every other post you make, it's unbelievable. And are we really going to have the whole Sherman debate come up again? I thought that was dead years ago. As Cheesey said he underperformed. He made blunder after blunder as GM, and brought in almost no one of value. Most of the players he had that were any good he inherited from Wolf and the rest of the team corroded from the inside, finally revealing itself with our 4-12 year. He was also an absolute coward of a coach and there's a reason why he's not getting another head coaching job in the NFL. And the whole point of Pack's original post was not to make an excuse of it being rebuilding but to point out we had extremely frustrating years leading right up to our Super Bowl victory and that's exactly what this year has been, frustrating. We've had moments of brilliance followed by sheer stupidity. We've run into humps we thought we passed, just like in '94. Pack's whole point is that we may just need one signature game (maybe Carolina tomorrow?) to turn this season and this team around.

Pack, great post +1.
Born and bred a cheesehead
longtimefan
15 years ago

Zero,

I just don't think that Ted Thompson's philosophy of hoping to hit on all your draft picks is going to work, in the long run.

"Roddyboy" wrote:

dude wtf?

YOU stated only REASON we had a 14-4 record ( you forgot the 4) was cuz of Brett

Fine..then you state this

Mike Sherman WITH Brett Favre NEVER got to the NFCG
...Even tho people SAY MS did what Brett wanted in free agency

But you will not bash MS cuz he got to the playoffs..

But Ted Thompson got to the NFCGG, and your going to bash him??????

Do you not see how fing stupid that sounds???
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Zero,

"Roddyboy" wrote:

Sherman inherited a team assembled by Ron Wolf, how dare you give him any credit for the work of another man. Then you want to blast Ted for having to rebuild what Sherman drove into the ground?

We were getting into the playoffs not by talent, but by skill and weak division. We were ousted fairly quickly too. Even a HOME loss in the playoffs!

We were a team that was long in the tooth and no depth because our GM (Sherman) couldn't draft talent if he was spotted a Hall of Famer.

I also blame Sherman for a lot the poor games by Brett. He refused to man up and COACH his QB. Instead he coddled him and let him do things others couldn't.

Ted is a good GM when it comes to drafting. He's fairly well signing free agents too, BUT he doesn't have the 'IT' factor to pull off the BIG ones. Atleast that's what I fear.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (1h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (1h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (1h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (2h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.