KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
The problem is if the free safety is always deep cover then depending on where he lines up you know where there’s going to be help. Both safeties have to be able to help out corners deep. Whether they do so we’re not in the assigned scheme for the play is another matter
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
5 years ago

Perhaps I am too old school, but it doesn’t seem to me that it should be that hard to play either/both safety position(s).

I mean, are these guys pigeonholed that tightly… seriously?

Originally Posted by: KRK 

It all depends on system and talent... you're correct that in theory if they're that talented then it doesn't matter... but where your old school thought loses out is that they're not making Safeties like they used to. I don't think I could find it but 5 years ago there was this GREAT article which basically broke it down that the college (and highschool) spread systems are killing the talent and development at the Safety position.

The old school way was there was 2 WRs, 2 CBs and 2 S... and the natural progression of trying out talented guys (still) goes start at WR ... if they didn't make it there, more to CB, and if they didn't make it there more to S. And there was more talent than there were positions, so talented guys (like Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, LeRoy Butler etc) would get spread out to the Safety position.

Now with the spread systems there got 4 WRs, 4 CBs and 2 S... and with the natural progression of WR, CB then S.... less talent is getting to the Safety positions (so yes it might be more pigeonholed or specialized at the Safety position now). So there is less talent getting to the Safety position and superstar FS.... and even Nick Collins was a CB in college.

But the 'pigeonholed' or specialization, is more about can you play CB or LB? Because in todays football sometimes a Safety needs to be able to cover a WR one on one, or charge up and basically play LB against a big physical RB. I call Reid a SS because I don't think he could cover a WR one on one that well and because he has literally play 4-3 LB when injuries killed the LB core. I called Vaccaro a FS because he has covered WR well in one on one (mainly the slot) but has also down field.

The spread system is also killing Safety development in another way... according to former Safeties, it's supposedly extremely easy to mentally read to the spread system, it's more about physically reacting to it... but get in the pros and they're using less spread and more pro-style and there is supposedly so more more to mentally read that mentally guys are struggling more especially since the NFL has more complex systems and smarter QBs and the safeties are mentally further behind than where Safety rookies 10-20 years ago would of been starting.

UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I believe the biggest difference is speed. FS has a lot of deep field to cover, where a SS plays closer to the line.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Yes, but not pure speed (like 40 time alone)... it's about mental quickness to read what's happening and physical reaction quickness... but yes speed does play into that as well.

Also it depends on what system you're using... like I believe in Pettine's system they really need two FS as Pettine likes to go high risk and leaving the coverage in one on one man coverage... and below part as well.

The problem is if the free safety is always deep cover then depending on where he lines up you know where there’s going to be help. Both safeties have to be able to help out corners deep. Whether they do so we’re not in the assigned scheme for the play is another matter

Your right, and as Pettine mentions the offense can somewhat dictate which Safety is gonna be the FS ... so you need two just in case. And I wonder if that's why they're keeping Josh Jones at Safety hoping someday he'll develop that FS skill... as he has the physical talent... just need to work on mental and maybe foot quickness.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
OK then, who on the roster is currently capable to play free safety? If we have to have two, and we knew with Pettine scheme we were going to have two, then we either should have them on our roster, acquire them for our roster, or be able to quickly develop them from our roster.

Do we have a disconnect between front office and coaching staff?
beast
5 years ago

OK then, who on the roster is currently capable to play free safety? If we have to have two, and we knew with Pettine scheme we were going to have two, then we either should have them on our roster, acquire them for our roster, or be able to quickly develop them from our roster.

lol it's been less than half a season man lol...

the world isn't perfect and that doesn't mean their is a disconnect... the team had a lot of holes to fill, and just because every single one isn't filled doesn't mean the sky is falling. Personally, if you told me in February that we would lose Randall, Rollins, Nelson, Ryan and wouldn't be complaining too much about CB, WR or ILB... I wouldn't of believed you!

A lot of good has been done... I can't tell you what the Packers were thinking... but I'm thinking/guessing they were hoping one of these young Safeties would step up... especially between Brice and Jones.... and so far it's Whitehead who has stepped up! Though the coaches still seem to think Brice is better.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

Tramon Williams, Raven Greene, Breeland, House might be better at S, did they IR him?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago
PFF ranked teams pass coverage so far... and the Packers ranked 6th overall (good news)

Of course, we're about to face two of the top three teams in back to back weeks (so could be very bad)

6. Green Bay Packers

TEAM COVERAGE GRADE: 80.5

Forced Incompletion %: 8.2 (27th)

Team Passer Rating Allowed%: 100.5 (16th)

Top Coverage Defender (Coverage Grade): LB Blake Martinez (86.8)

ProFootballFocus  wrote:

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
nerd and beast...ty...I appreciate your oponions/observations
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (23h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.