Zero2Cool
15 years ago

The more I see Aaron Rodgers play, the more I like.

Rodgers didnt have one of his best games on Monday night in the Green Bay Packers lopsided loss to the New Orleans Saints, but how he handled the adversity was telling.

In his first 10 games as a starter, we learned Rodgers can run the offense efficiently, has added a new dimension to the Packers attack with his mobility, is willing and able to play hurt and is first in line to take blame when things dont go his way.

On Monday, we learned something else. Rodgers displayed his aggressive on-field demeanor in laying out Saints cornerback Jason David on a dead-to-rights tackle that prevented an interception return for a touchdown.

It will go down as the best tackle by a quarterback this season.

Some will call it a foolish act born out of frustration over a bad interception that could have resulted in a serious reinjury to his throwing shoulder.

Rodgers doesnt see it that way and repeatedly has said he would do the same thing again. Although Rodgers used his right shoulder to deck David, coach Mike McCarthy didnt seem to have a problem with it.

I think you want to see that attitude throughout your team, regardless of the position, McCarthy said.

Aaron is a competitor, and the fact that he covered the interception the way hes supposed to and kept him out of the end zone, thats what theyre trained to do.

This was more than just a bone-jarring tackle. It sent a message to the rest of the team, intended or not. Rodgers threw a bad pass, but instead of hanging his head or ducking for cover, he owned up to it. Dont think his teammates didnt notice.

I think that just shows you what type of player he is, tight end Donald Lee said. A lot of guys throw an interception and dont finish the play by trying to help make a tackle. Hes not that type of guy. Hes going to try and finish everything he does.

If your quarterback puts his body on the line, its bound to rub off on everyone else around him.

Guard Daryn Colledge wasnt surprised by Rodgers tackle. What he didnt expect was how hard it was delivered.

The force he popped him with, that surprised me a little bit, Colledge said. Aarons not the biggest man in the world, but hes a good athlete and an aggressive player. I expected him to make a tackle but I didnt expect him to rail him like that.

Rodgers has made it clear he wasnt happy about the interception that preceded the tackle. But he had no intention of watching David waltz into the end zone. He also wasnt about to make a half-hearted grab for the cornerbacks ankles, as some quarterbacks might have done.

Rodgers only regret was he didnt hit David harder.

I like the matchup I had, Rodgers said. I felt good about it. I knew I was bigger than him and he didnt see me until about the last minute. I thought he might cut back on me. I wish I had just full speed hit him even harder.

When it was suggested it might not be the smartest thing to do, Rodgers scoffed at the idea that a quarterback should avoid contact.

Im going to do whats in the best interest of the team at that point and thats making the tackle any way I can, said Rodgers, speaking like a true football player and not a prima donna worried about getting hurt.

Rodgers said he could have used better form. I never was a very good tackler when I played cornerback back in eighth grade, he said. Thats why they moved me to quarterback. Hopefully I wont throw any more interceptions that have a chance to get run back for a touchdown.

If he does, theres a good chance someone will get hurt, and it likely wont be Rodgers.

I liked this article.

Remember when Kitna threw an interception to Nick Collins and just sunk his head, took his helmet off, BEFORE THE PLAY WAS EVEN OVER? That's a QB who just gave up. I like that Rodgers didn't give up and laid a helluva hit on the guy.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago
Funny how a lot of people were praising Jon Kitna and saying he was the best QB in the division entering the season. Right now it's Aaron Rodgers and Kyle Orton followed by everyone else.
RedSoxExcel
15 years ago
This is kind of lame. I think it was stupid with his shoulder injury. He was just frustrated he threw an INT and didn't think. What's the upside to this versus pushing him out of bounds?

I would be 100X more impressed if he showed an ability to excel when playing from behind or in a close game.
blank
doddpower
15 years ago

This is kind of lame. I think it was stupid with his shoulder injury. He was just frustrated he threw an INT and didn't think. What's the upside to this versus pushing him out of bounds?

I would be 100X more impressed if he showed an ability to excel when playing from behind or in a close game.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

It was a sweet hit to watch, but I am inclined to agree with you.

I would much rather see him celebrate after throwing a touchdown pass then putting a nasty hit on a player after they intercepted him and almost returned it for a touchdown.

=(
IronMan
15 years ago
His pad level was too high.
doddpower
15 years ago

His pad level was too high.

"IronMan" wrote:

He needs to work on his fundamentals.

Back to the basics.
15 years ago

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

So you would rather see him play it safe and just give them the 6 points when your still in the game? Now that is kind of lame.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
15 years ago

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

So you would rather see him play it safe and just give them the 6 points when your still in the game? Now that is kind of lame.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

I don't even know how to respond to this. Have you ever played football or even watched a game for that matter? There is more than one way to get someone of bounds than running your shoulder into them.

The way the CB was running down the sideline, and Rodgers was coming into him, he could have easily just pushed him out of bounds.

blank
15 years ago

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

I don't even know how to respond to this. Have you ever played football or even watched a game for that matter? There is more than one way to get someone of bounds than running your shoulder into them.

The way the CB was running down the sideline, and Rodgers was coming into him, he could have easily just pushed him out of bounds.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

He made sure he got him out of bounds. What if he cut back? Then what?
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Maybe it's a bit over the top, but hey, isn't that what we want to see in Football?

I asume he felt right about. Ofcourse frustration had a part in this, but you don't just jump into someone like that if you feel this can have big consequences. I think he knew what he was doing.
Fan Shout
TheKanataThrilla (36m) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (39m) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (16h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (19h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (21h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (23h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (23h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (23h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.