Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. As Brett Favre sought to identify the greatest challenge he has ever faced, he could not help but reflect on all of the obstacles he has overcome in building a storied, 18-year NFL career.

Was his greatest test the summer of 1990, when he was involved in a horrific car crash and willed his way back into the Southern Mississippi lineup one month after having 30 inches of his intestines removed?

GIANTS: Defending champs raising already-high expectations
JETS' KEYS: How they sustain momentum

Was it 1992, when he needed to prove that he was worth the first-round draft choice the Green Bay Packers used to obtain him from the Atlanta Falcons and responded by becoming the youngest quarterback to play in the Pro Bowl at 23?

Was it the end of the 1996 season, when he responded to the enormity of the Super Bowl by firing a 54-yard touchdown pass to Andre Rison on a first-throw audible and went on to lead Green Bay to a rousing 35-21 win vs. the New England Patriots?

No, Favre decided, it was none of those. He settled instead on the here and now. He focused on the expectation that, at 39, he can help the New York Jets to soar in what might be an all-or-nothing, one-year stop before he retires once and for all.

"I think it is probably the toughest challenge up to this point," he says.

Heck, he'd barely left Green Bay, had yet to throw his first pass in a different shade of green, when he was presented the keys to New York at City Hall. That's pressure.

But it is typical of laid-back Favre that he hasn't blinked.

Of greater significance, the Jets showed grit they lacked in past years when they ventured to New England and emerged with a 34-31 overtime decision Nov. 13 and followed it up by handing the Tennessee Titans their first loss Sunday.

Favre is not at all content at having helped to transform a 4-12 team into 8-3 AFC East leaders and a Super Bowl contender. "Believe me," he says, "we can get a lot better."

As carefree as the league's only three-time MVP acts, as quick as he is to smile and joke with teammates, the competitive fires that caused him to unretire burn brightly. For many reasons, Favre is exactly what the Jets needed as he commands an offense that averages 29.4 points, second in the league.

"He's got a great way about him at the games, that poise, that confidence, all those things," says Jets coach Eric Mangini. "But during the course of the week, he's also got a very good personality in the sense that he can be focused, get his work done, but keep the group light, keep practice fun, keep the guys excited about each day. He's got that passion for football, that love of the game, that is very contagious."

Favre possesses what few quarterbacks have ever had supreme confidence developed by succeeding for almost two decades.

And that quality helped make the difference in New England.

"Same old Jets!" Patriots fans chanted gleefully after their team forced overtime two weeks ago after trailing 24-6. "Same old Jets!"

But New York won the coin toss to begin overtime and Favre, sensing doubt on the sideline and in the huddle, took over. "The first thing he said," says running back Leon Washington, "is he assured us that we were going to go down there and put points on the board."

And so they did. A precise drive of 64 yards in 14 plays led to a nerveless 34-yard field goal by Jay Feely that rocked the AFC East, if not the NFL. "We know what we're going to get from Brett. He's going to go out and leave it all on the field," says receiver Jerricho Cotchery. "He's going to have fun, and we have to feed off of him."

Despite the ongoing process to learn a new offense, despite the struggle to keep his body together amid whispers that he has a sore arm, Favre continues to prove he can still compete at a high level, completing a league-best 70.6% of his passes for 2,461 yards, 20 touchdowns and 13 interceptions, also an NFL high.

Favre acknowledges that age, when combined with years of pounding, will undoubtedly cause his performance to eventually fall off. "I don't know when that point will be," he says, adding that he will not contemplate whether he will play next year until he has devoted all of his effort to this season.

New York, with an eye toward selling suites, personal seat licenses and corporate sponsorships as it prepares to enter a new stadium, had taken dramatic steps to improve the club even before Favre suddenly became available. The Jets devoted $140 million to player acquisitions before Favre came aboard in August.

That investment, on both sides of the ball, is being rewarded.

It helps, too, that Favre has a much bigger arm than Chad Pennington, his predecessor. "When you have a quarterback who can throw the ball downfield, they have to respect that," says AFC rushing leader Thomas Jones. "You don't have to worry about nine guys in the box."

Same old Jets? Don't think so.

KEYS TO JETS' CONTINUED SUCCESS

Good gambles by Favre: Quarterback Brett Favre is the career leader in touchdown passes (462), but there is a significant "but" with him. He's also thrown more interceptions (301) than anyone else in NFL history. While he's renowned as a gambler, there are some balls during the course of his career that should have never left his hand. Even a few ill-advised throws could dash this team's hopes at some critical juncture.

Run, Thomas, run: Top tailback Thomas Jones leads the AFC and ranks fourth overall with 950 rushing yards this season. Now in his second season in New York, the Jets have never lost in the nine games in which he scored a touchdown either rushing or receiving. That's hardly a coincidence.

Special special teams: Special-teams coach Mike Westhoff is as good as they come. The Jets have returned an NFL-high 11 kickoffs for touchdowns since 2002. This oft-overlooked aspect of the game can be a real difference-maker. Even when special teams don't produce points, field position is huge. To that end, return-man extraordinaire Leon Washington is fifth in the league in kickoff returns (28.8-yard average) and sixth in punt returns (12.1).

Keep stuffing the run: New York is not always viewed as one of the top teams at stopping the run, but it is; the 78 rushing yards the Jets allow a game rank third in the NFL. Of greater significance, they are perfect through seven games in which they held the opposition to fewer than 100 yards on the ground.

Withstand adversity: Past editions of the Jets didn't always react well when adversity struck, leading fans to complain they were the "same old Jets." There has been a different feeling around this team since laid-back Favre arrived. It will be interesting to see if those good vibrations continue in the big games ahead.
Heathiee
longtimefan
15 years ago
just a month ago this team was set to take on everyone
Pack93z
15 years ago
Should of.. would of... whatever...

We could drag up 100 articles on the Packers up to about week 8 about how good we are..

They collapsed.. so did Tampa.. so did the Bears.. so did we.. so did the Cards.. so did the Cowboys.. so did the Redskins..

Tampa and the Boys probably collapsed harder than the Jets..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Good gambles by Favre: Quarterback Brett Favre is the career leader in touchdown passes (462), but there is a significant "but" with him. He's also thrown more interceptions (301) than anyone else in NFL history.

"Heatherthepackgirl" wrote:

He ended the season with 464 and 310, respectively.

5:3 career TD:INT ratio. Ouch.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

Should of.. would of... whatever...

We could drag up 100 articles on the Packers up to about week 8 about how good we are..

They collapsed.. so did Tampa.. so did the Bears.. so did we.. so did the Cards.. so did the Cowboys.. so did the Redskins..

Tampa and the Boys probably collapsed harder than the Jets..

"pack93z" wrote:

Heh. Now, THAT would be an interesting debate - whose fans have it worse.

Buc fans, Cow fans, or Jets fans. Who collapsed the hardest this year?

Wasn't there a time in '08 when the Cow O looked completely unstoppable?

EDIT: Never mind. This is such a non-issue. If anyone says it's harder to be a fan of their team than being a fan of the Lions, then they need to be slapped upside the head.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
15 years ago
The only difference is: The Lions are never expected to do anything, the Jets were expected to at LEAST make the playoffs.

We were 5-5 at one point, and collapsed too.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (2h) : damn those vikings
beast (3h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (3h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (3h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (3h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (10h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (11h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.