Zero2Cool
5 years ago

To sum up, what I believe has been said about McDaniels at the time.... he was an extremely cocky S.O.B. that wouldn't listen to nobody, came in and pissed a lot of people off by being an a-hole .... who thought he could coach up anybody to be great (Tebow into Tom Brady)... made fairly easy situations that needed to be worked through worse by being a major dick...

Originally Posted by: beast 

Being 33 years old, and then starting off with a six game winning streak, I'm not too surprised he was a cocky son of a bitch. I'm more surprised that Sean McVay isn't, than I am that someone else was. Not sure if I said that in a way that it makes sense.

Interesting video though.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Rumors were flying that Gase was the frontrunner for the job, but I think it's telling that he still doesn't have an interview scheduled in Green Bay. Unless the Packers are just playing coy to throw other teams off the scent, this would seem to indicate to me that McDaniels is the favorite at this point.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

At first, I was thinking the Packers are interviewing candidates that are on BYE, but that doesn't stop them from scheduling an interview with Gase on say Tuesday of next week. I've only read two guys saying Gase was a lead candidate for the Packers. One of them was Jason McIntyre  and the other I cannot recall.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Do the Packers really run a West Coast offense these days? When was the last time we saw a system resembling a West Coast offense in Green Bay? Isn't it past time to put that baby to bed?

Also, this tweet had me rolling:

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Beast's edit

I figure either the article is true, or McDaniels is trying to get the Browns interested, or trying to use this as leverage of some sort.

...perhaps both. This is a chess game and he wants to have options for negotiating with both sides. This reported 'mutual interest story' is designed, at the very least to give leverage. BYW, Beast, awesome earlier post with interview.

Journal article quoted by MacBob

“I don’t see that working out too well myself,” the source said. “… Josh is not going to change what he does. To his credit he does it very well, but Josh only knows one system. Aaron Rodgers knows one system. And they don’t know the same system. So which one is going to budge?”

Rodgers is going to budge. And my guess is, he will want to budge. Every DC in the league knows the hell out our system. Our plays are called out pre-snap by the defense, way too often. Rarely do we see guys wide open past 5 yards....not so with the Patriot offense. Further, if Carmichael or any other coach other than Philbin comes in, he is going to have to "budge"

I am tired of our church-league, flag-football passing attack, which is what it amounts to with young receivers. They have to read and react (i.e. think) way too much, and as a result, it take way too long to get them on the field and when they are on the field, they aren't immediately productive.

I want to see rubs, picks, slants, and outs....quick decisive routes with our guys going full speed instead of trying to read and change direction every 4 steps.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Rockmolder
5 years ago
A good article on Matt LaFleur.  

There seem to be two prevailing opinions as to who the Packers should hire to be their next head coach. First, the Packers should hire an offense-oriented coach. And second, that coach should be part of the wave of young, new coaches who are having success in the league.

If those are truly the credentials worth considering, Matt LaFleur should be on the Packers’ radar. He’s only worked on the offensive side of the ball, he’s just 39 years old, and he’s demonstrated progressive growth toward bigger and bigger roles the longer his career has worn on.

But if that makes him seem like a slam dunk candidate, a word of potential caution: despite being close to success, it’s not clear exactly what role LaFleur has played in it.

They're running into the same problem I have with him... He's being called a sharp offensive mind, but there's really nothing to back that claim up. He's worked under and with some good coaches, but it's hard to say what his hand was in all of those good offenses. They also never did their best to keep him around. As in, Atlanta retained Dan Quinn as HC, who didn't promote him after Shanahan left. McVay rather let him go than give him play-calling duties.

And now that he is calling the plays in Tennessee, it's not looking all that great. Mariota missed some games and they added little talent on offense, but they did go from 19th in points scored to 27th, from 23rd to 25th in total offense and from 23rd to 29th in passing. Only the running game got stronger when compared to last season.

Again, they didn't add a whole lot of talent on offense, but it's also not a great selling point for him. And it's pretty much the only selling point we can judge him on.
beast
5 years ago

They're running into the same problem I have with him... He's being called a sharp offensive mind, but there's really nothing to back that claim up.

He's worked under and with some good coaches, but it's hard to say what his hand was in all of those good offenses.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Agrred, but that's true.for all coaches that haven't been top dog on their side of the field, including Saints Carmichael, who success has been under Sean Peyton.

Though I think the same (to a much lesser degree) could say the same about if McDaniels has the leadership, discipline and personality to be a successful head coach and if Gase can win the big one with his simplier scheme after the Seahawks DBs said they were so successful in he Superbowl against him, saying they could read what the Broncos were gonna do and then star Dolphins WR saying he begged Gase to run more diverse route tree, to throw off defenses more.

Every one has some questions that teams must ask themselves about.

They also never did their best to keep him around. As in, Atlanta retained Dan Quinn as HC, who didn't promote him after Shanahan left. McVay rather let him go than give him play-calling duties.

And now that he is calling the plays in Tennessee, it's not looking all that great. Mariota missed some games and they added little talent on offense, but they did go from 19th in points scored to 27th, from 23rd to 25th in total offense and from 23rd to 29th in passing. Only the running game got stronger when compared to last season.

Again, they didn't add a whole lot of talent on offense, but it's also not a great selling point for him. And it's pretty much the only selling point we can judge him on.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Yeah for what ever reason the Falcons didn't see him as their offensive coordinator, and I'm not sure anyone publicly knows why....

I think the Rams might of let him go to build his resume of play calling, some teams allow moves like that, and apparently they didn't feel the need for an OC as they didn't replace him with someone else there. It seems to be becoming common for the offensive head coach to also be the coordinator.

For the Titans, I don't think it mattered who the coaches were, with the personal moves and injuries (losing important people, including the top 4 in catches from last year) that Titans passing game was getting worse no matter what.... they had a good WR and backup RB for the passing game and that's about it. And the WR probably got tons of double coverage... only option was run the ball, especially with the starting QB and starting RT missing some games and not being fully healthy when they played.

Again, no idea how LaFleur will play calling a passing team with options because we haven't seen it.... much less head coach. But I think the failure of the Titans passing attack might be more on the GM (and injuries) than the.play caller.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
Can we all just agree that the word is personnel and move on please?
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
I think many of us use talk to text and don’t take the time, or have bad eyesight, and don’t edit our comments. Perhaps we should all be a little bit more lenient and less nitpicky with language and syntax.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

I think the fact that Fitzgerald has a contract that runs through 2026 is part of the calculus keeping him in Evanston.

And before anyone asks, yes, Bryan Harlan is the son of Bob Harlan.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (2h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (3h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (3h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (3h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.