beast
5 years ago

The price for Brown would be too high.

Adams and the return of Allison will leave one "slot" for a WR. I'll bet that will not be a problem for one or more 2nd yr WRs.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

The price for Brown very well could be too high, but this also highlights part of the reason the Packers struggled last season, because they didn't have a #2 WR, and we're currently penciling in a guy that hasn't averaged 255 yards per season as a starter... those he did get 303 yards in 5 games (average of 970 yards over a 16 game period).

I think this shows the Packers should also be looking at potential options to upgrade their WRs too and not hoping they develop...

Also this is if Gute puts a tender on Allison as I believe he's an RFA this season, I'm thinking they will, but Gute also didn't tender some th a t I thought they would last season.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I read somewhere that he has a 21 million cap hit next year and 22 million the next

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

I believe if they trade him after June 1st, it's more than half of the $21 million that will be dead. I thought it was $7.35 million, but cannot remember where I heard it from. It was someone on NFL Network I think.

Actually, here's the numbers.
Dead money $7,040,000
Savings $15,125,000

https://overthecap.com/player/antonio-brown/1579/ 
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Not interested.

He's 30. More than likely his best years are gone. In general his best years were 13-17. I think his production will decline over the next 4 years of his contract but his salary won't.

He is getting $17 mil a year. He's the second highest paid WR (barring future deals) for the next 4 years. He was #9 in receptions and #11 in yards #3 in targets and #1 in TDs. You can't tell me that GB can't draft a WR who will put up good numbers for a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This is my biggest problem, as well. You're investing a lot of money in a guy who's most likely on the decline, already. That said, he does show the kind of awareness and ability on the field that makes you think you could get another 4 years of really good production out of him. Next to that, an AB at 80% is still better than anyone we've had on the field since 2004 Javon Walker. I'm on the fence about this one. It's a big gamble.

For the record, Adams was #2 in targets and TDs. If Brown was on the team both Adams and Browns numbers would drop.

I'd hope so. One of our biggest problems is that there's no viable starting WR next to Adams. I'd like for his targets to drop a bit. I don't know if Browns' numbers would take a big hit. He's already playing next to Smith-Schuster who caught 111 passes this year.

I seriously doubt Pitt would want anything less than a #1 pick for him. I want GB's #1 pick to last at least 7 years.

I agree if you're talking about the nr. 12 pick. The number 28-32 pick, I don't know. At that point you're getting into territory where you're not drafting the true top guys anymore. I know it's not a very good metric, but just to illustrate... Between '08 and '16, there've been 44 selections in that range, of which just 9 made the Pro Bowl. Again, not a great metric, but the chance you're drafting a Derek Sherrod, Kelvin Benjamin or a Beanie Wells is so much bigger than hitting on a guy like Eric Wood or Cameron Heyward.

Not taking the contract into account and looking at our current situation... I'd rather have 4 years of AB than taking a chance on a guy like Parris Campbell. AB would be ready to play immediately, something first year receivers usually can't do. Also, you're in a bit of a win now mode, with Rodgers most likely not having a lot more than 4 years of good play left.

Like most, though, I'm stuck on that contract. I don't see how you can make this big an investment in one 30 year old receiver, while you have holes at nearly every position on defense.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
How many were All Pro? Pro Bowl is a joke, we shouldn't ever discuss it or use it in any sentence ever. All Pro is where it's at folks!
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago

The price for Brown very well could be too high, but this also highlights part of the reason the Packers struggled last season, because they didn't have a #2 WR, and we're currently penciling in a guy that hasn't averaged 255 yards per season as a starter... those he did get 303 yards in 5 games (average of 970 yards over a 16 game period).

I think this shows the Packers should also be looking at potential options to upgrade their WRs too and not hoping they develop...

Also this is if Gute puts a tender on Allison as I believe he's an RFA this season, I'm thinking they will, but Gute also didn't tender some th a t I thought they would last season.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I fully agree. It's been this way for way too long. As much as we've been harping on McCarthy for his outdated schemes, Rodgers for holding the ball too long and (inexplicably), the o-line, our receiving group shoulders as much of the blame, if not more.

The best example of this, for me, is James Jones. He couldn't even make a roster one year after leaving us, only to return and get nearly a 1.000 yards in a season. There's been way too little effort to give Rodgers the weapons he needs, just because he's good enough without them.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

This is my biggest problem, as well. You're investing a lot of money in a guy who's most likely on the decline, already. That said, he does show the kind of awareness and ability on the field that makes you think you could get another 4 years of really good production out of him. Next to that, an AB at 80% is still better than anyone we've had on the field since 2004 Javon Walker. I'm on the fence about this one. It's a big gamble.

I'd hope so. One of our biggest problems is that there's no viable starting WR next to Adams. I'd like for his targets to drop a bit. I don't know if Browns' numbers would take a big hit. He's already playing next to Smith-Schuster who caught 111 passes this year.

I agree if you're talking about the nr. 12 pick. The number 28-32 pick, I don't know. At that point you're getting into territory where you're not drafting the true top guys anymore. I know it's not a very good metric, but just to illustrate... Between '08 and '16, there've been 44 selections in that range, of which just 9 made the Pro Bowl. Again, not a great metric, but the chance you're drafting a Derek Sherrod, Kelvin Benjamin or a Beanie Wells is so much bigger than hitting on a guy like Eric Wood or Cameron Heyward.

Not taking the contract into account and looking at our current situation... I'd rather have 4 years of AB than taking a chance on a guy like Parris Campbell. AB would be ready to play immediately, something first year receivers usually can't do. Also, you're in a bit of a win now mode, with Rodgers most likely not having a lot more than 4 years of good play left.

Like most, though, I'm stuck on that contract. I don't see how you can make this big an investment in one 30 year old receiver, while you have holes at nearly every position on defense.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

One of the many reasons I would never make a good GM. It's too easy for me to see the potential negatives in a deal. I struggle to accept the benefits for our team are real.

UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago
Our receiving corps was once the best in the NFL and not too long ago at that. It has been going downhill steadily for a while now. Trying to replace proven veterans with late round potential hasn't been very effective. Whether it is because Ted bought into the WR guru label many fans bestowed on him (mistakenly IMO) or the idea Aaron Rodgers could make any WR into a good one the fact is in the last 20 years we have only had 1 decent WR who wasn't drafted in the 3rd round or higher. Every now and the we drafted a WR on day 2 and in other years try to support him with day three projects who have not panned out.

IMO its time to spend another early pick on a WR or bring in another via FA to complement Adams. Unfortunately I don't think there are many FAs who would really fit the bill. Antonio Brown would be expensive but for what run of the mill #2 WRs have been signing for in recent years he just might be worth it.

I know some people don't like the idea of spending a high pick on a WR because they point to guys like Driver and Brown himself and say "see, its a waste of a pick to take a WR high because you can get guys like this in the 6th and 7th rounds" Yes you can but you had better plan on drafting a bunch of them because the vast majority will flop.

If we bring in Brown I doubt either he nor Adams would lead the league in any passing categories (maybe average) simply because the targets would be split up but I could easily see both of them hovering around the middle of the top 10 and I would take that in a heartbeat.

Brown would certainly be worth the #32 pick IMO. I even think his salary could be justified. Still I'm not convinced. I'm a bit like WPR in that his age and the fact that in the first year he was overshadowed by a fellow WR he seemed to throw a fit throws up red flags.

I'm going to treat this like I did the Mack thing. Overall I would say I am opposed but I certainly see the advantages of bringing him in and if we do I'm not going to be upset about it.

One thing I feel for certain is that we need help art WR. Allison is a wild card but he is still unproven. Super Jake and the wonder triplets will probably produce 1 above average and 1 average WR at best between the 4 of them and I am not sure I have seen anything from any of them to make me think any of them will be that full time #2 guy.
Porforis
5 years ago

Our receiving corps was once the best in the NFL and not too long ago at that. It has been going downhill steadily for a while now. Trying to replace proven veterans with late round potential hasn't been very effective. Whether it is because Ted bought into the WR guru label many fans bestowed on him (mistakenly IMO) or the idea Aaron Rodgers could make any WR into a good one the fact is in the last 20 years we have only had 1 decent WR who wasn't drafted in the 3rd round or higher. Every now and the we drafted a WR on day 2 and in other years try to support him with day three projects who have not panned out.

IMO its time to spend another early pick on a WR or bring in another via FA to complement Adams. Unfortunately I don't think there are many FAs who would really fit the bill. Antonio Brown would be expensive but for what run of the mill #2 WRs have been signing for in recent years he just might be worth it.

I know some people don't like the idea of spending a high pick on a WR because they point to guys like Driver and Brown himself and say "see, its a waste of a pick to take a WR high because you can get guys like this in the 6th and 7th rounds" Yes you can but you had better plan on drafting a bunch of them because the vast majority will flop.

If we bring in Brown I doubt either he nor Adams would lead the league in any passing categories (maybe average) simply because the targets would be split up but I could easily see both of them hovering around the middle of the top 10 and I would take that in a heartbeat.

Brown would certainly be worth the #32 pick IMO. I even think his salary could be justified. Still I'm not convinced. I'm a bit like WPR in that his age and the fact that in the first year he was overshadowed by a fellow WR he seemed to throw a fit throws up red flags.

I'm going to treat this like I did the Mack thing. Overall I would say I am opposed but I certainly see the advantages of bringing him in and if we do I'm not going to be upset about it.

One thing I feel for certain is that we need help art WR. Allison is a wild card but he is still unproven. Super Jake and the wonder triplets will probably produce 1 above average and 1 average WR at best between the 4 of them and I am not sure I have seen anything from any of them to make me think any of them will be that full time #2 guy.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I think a lot of the reason why we haven't invested a high round pick in a WR is because we've been having so many issues on defense for so many years. Since 2012, we've barely spent any 1st-3rd round picks on offense because of glaring needs elsewhere.
sschind
5 years ago

I think a lot of the reason why we haven't invested a high round pick in a WR is because we've been having so many issues on defense for so many years. Since 2012, we've barely spent any 1st-3rd round picks on offense because of glaring needs elsewhere.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

That is a good point and I agree (gee didn't I just type the same thing in reply to one of your other posts) but whether they didn't choose a WR higher because they didn't think they needed to or because they didn't think the could afford to doesn't change the fact that they didn't and it has put us where we are today. One stud and a bunch of young potential. I don't care who it is or how we get him, we desperately need another WR to take the pressure off of Adams. It would be great if that guy was already on the roster because that would save the draft pick or the FA money but I'm not convinced he is.

I realize the a 1st round draft pick is also nothing but young potential juts like late round picks and that lots of them flop but in general they are 1st round picks, as opposed to day three picks, because they either have more talent, more potential or a better track record in college or they are simply perceived as a better option and I would feel much more comfortable about one of them panning out.

beast
5 years ago

Jerry Rice on Monday said Antonio Brown wants to play for the 49ers, after the two FaceTimed on Sunday.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,” Rice said during an appearance on 95.7 The Game. "He wants to come here really badly."

nbcsports  wrote:

I'm not sure why Brown want to go to the 49ers... but if it's system and QB related, the LaFleur might have a system like one of his mentors in Kyle Shanahan and I think Rodgers could be considered the same level or better as Jimmy Garoppolo.

Just saying...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (59m) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (1h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (1h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (17h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (20h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (22h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.