Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I quoted this part because I was one who didn't think loss of Jordy Nelson was going to be that big of a hit to our offense with the likes of Adams, Cobb and Allison. After all, we watched Rodgers turn average WR into productive WR's for us (e.g. Jarrett Boykin comes to mind).

The best example of this, for me, is James Jones. He couldn't even make a roster one year after leaving us, only to return and get nearly a 1.000 yards in a season. There's been way too little effort to give Rodgers the weapons he needs, just because he's good enough without them.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I wonder if it was actually Mike McCarthy who said to get rid of Jordy Nelson, and Aaron Rodgers knew that and that's why he was throwing the ball away so much. And all of his "gotta build trust with the WR's, gotta be at the right depth, right place, etc" comments and all that.

It feels conspiracy special from nerdmann, but we all know how Rodgers holds a grudge. Aaron's comment "Well, we like young receivers, so I'm assuming that's the way they're going to keep going, I don't know why you'd cut Jordy [Nelson] and bring in Dez." also makes me put some more thought into that "theory".
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

I quoted this part because I was one who didn't think loss of Jordy Nelson was going to be that big of a hit to our offense with the likes of Adams, Cobb and Allison. After all, we watched Rodgers turn average WR into productive WR's for us (e.g. Jarrett Boykin comes to mind).

I wonder if it was actually Mike McCarthy who said to get rid of Jordy Nelson, and Aaron Rodgers knew that and that's why he was throwing the ball away so much. And all of his "gotta build trust with the WR's, gotta be at the right depth, right place, etc" comments and all that.

It feels conspiracy special from nerdmann, but we all know how Rodgers holds a grudge. Aaron's comment "Well, we like young receivers, so I'm assuming that's the way they're going to keep going, I don't know why you'd cut Jordy [Nelson] and bring in Dez." also makes me put some more thought into that "theory".

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If Rodgers is going to throw a hissy fit whenever we release one of his security blankets it doesn't show much leadership to me. If that is the case and you thought he threw the ball away a lot this year look out next year if they let Cobb go.

I'm also a bit concerned that you thought Boykin was average to begin with and was a productive WR for us.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I'm also a bit concerned that you thought Boykin was average to begin with and was a productive WR for us.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

You really missed the context that badly huh?

The point was we have had WR's produce above their (my opinion) talent level and I cited Boykin as an example that came to mind.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoykJa00.htm 
UserPostedImage
earthquake
5 years ago
A lot of things are possible I suppose. I would tend to go with Occam's razor here though.

As far as the younger receivers needing more time to get on the same page, perhaps Rodgers said this simply because it is true? If we look at the early part of various WRs that GB has drafted they tend to not contribute much in the first year. It's reasonable to assume that the way the Packer's offense is designed and set up requires more experienced players, this is evident if we look at the receivers production. I recall various players and coaches mentioning precisely this over the years but can't remember a specific quote at the moment.

Adams didn't get over 500 yards until year 3. Cobb didn't do much in his rookie season, but had a solid 2nd year before getting hurt in his 3rd and bouncing back for his best season in year 4. It took Nelson until year 4 to break out. James Jones had a fairly productive 1st year but his 2nd and 3rd were nothing to write home about. We have to go back to Greg Jennings to find a Packer's WR that had over 500 yards in each of his two seasons. All of these guys are 2nd round picks except for Jones who went in the 3rd round.

With this in mind, it's both indicative of the depth (lack thereof) at the position, and frankly rather impressive that MVS, a 5th round pick, managed to have a 500+ yard season this year. MVS start in some ways mimic's Jennings'. When Jennings was drafted GB had a clear #1 (Donald Driver), but not much else to speak of at the position after trading Javon Walker (Robert Ferguson anyone?). I think MVS is well positioned to be the Packer's most productive WR in his first two seasons since Jennings. With a new HC and likely new OC I'm not sure I would bet on it though.

Now, what did Rodgers really mean with his comment about Dez Bryant? Again, I'm not sure what lines we're trying to read between here, but perhaps he meant exactly what he said? Once Jordy was cut it was clear they wanted to go younger at the position. So why swap one past his prime veteran for another past his prime veteran? I suppose he could have just said nothing to the question or given some generic Patriot's-esq response, but I'm not convinced that a non-statement there wouldn't have been analyzed and criticized even more than what he said, as seems to be the nature of things these days. He was rather direct and yet we're sitting here trying to figure out the true meaning of what he said, just imagine if he would have been vague lol.

Unfortunately they swapped a past his prime WR for a past his prime TE, but there was at least some logic to that one, that perhaps Jimmy Graham was a poor fit in the run-first SEA offense.
blank
gbguy20
5 years ago
Can't think of any reason mike would have gotten jordy gone as he seemed pretty unhappy with teds lack of aggressive approach to building his roster.
nerdmann
5 years ago
Jordy couldn't run after he had knee surgery. Happened to Driver too, had em "cleaned out." BOOM.

Mike's not a hater. He wasn't secretly plotting against Jordy, even if he did want to drop him. It was time.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
5 years ago

You really missed the context that badly huh?

The point was we have had WR's produce above their (my opinion) talent level and I cited Boykin as an example that came to mind.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoykJa00.htm 

I don't think I missed the context at all. You seem to think that Aaron Rodgers can turn any WR into a good WR and IMO that is simply not the case. I'll leave the three rookies out of it and even Allison for now because of the injury so excluding those 4 the last average WR Aaron Rodgers has turned into a productive WR for us was ... Um ... still thinking ... OK, I've got nothing.

A no talent WR playing with Aaron Rodgers may be a slightly better no talent WR but that doesn't make him productive.

If you are referring to the context of your conspiracy theory I chose to ignore it because I didn't think it deserved comment.
sschind
5 years ago

A lot of things are possible I suppose. I would tend to go with Occam's razor here though.

Now, what did Rodgers really mean with his comment about Dez Bryant? Again, I'm not sure what lines we're trying to read between here, but perhaps he meant exactly what he said? Once Jordy was cut it was clear they wanted to go younger at the position. So why swap one past his prime veteran for another past his prime veteran? I suppose he could have just said nothing to the question or given some generic Patriot's-esq response, but I'm not convinced that a non-statement there wouldn't have been analyzed and criticized even more than what he said, as seems to be the nature of things these days. He was rather direct and yet we're sitting here trying to figure out the true meaning of what he said, just imagine if he would have been vague lol.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Good points quake but this hits the nail on the head. Its the way I read it when he said it and its how I read it now. Have we all become so cynical that we have to question everything anybody says and try to figure out what he really meant. Maybe he really did mean exactly what he said.

nerdmann
5 years ago

Good points quake but this hits the nail on the head. Its the way I read it when he said it and its how I read it now. Have we all become so cynical that we have to question everything anybody says and try to figure out what he really meant. Maybe he really did mean exactly what he said.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Ever since the Packers hired Ari Fleischer during the Bert Favor unretirement fiasco, this team has strongly promoted the idea of an "official narrative."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago

I completely agree, this is a nerd conspiracy theory, but to the point, what part of this makes it seem like Rodgers is blaming Mike McCarthy for the loss of Nelson?

Seems like he's taking a shot at Dez, saying he's not as good as Nelson...

Plus Mike McCarthy always did individualized post season players talks, so he had no problems giving players the bad news when it's on him and even did so with Favre.... and yet Gute is said to be the one that met with Nelson and told him they're going in a different direction.

While I don't believe either of them, I'd take buckeyes conspiracy theory that it was Murphy idea, over this one that it was Mike McCarthy... but of course that's just opinion and I could be wrong, but it seems to be Gute as the main person that choose Cobb over Nelson for some reason.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (17h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (17h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.