Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I've read from fans that the Packers better not draft a QB in 2019 draft. Better surround Aaron Rodgers with as much talent as possible because he's not getting any younger!!!!

2004 we finished 10 - 6 winning the division. Favre was 35 at the end of 2004 season.
2018 we finished 6 - 9 - 1 and whiffed on the playoffs. Rodgers was 35 at the end of 2018 season.

This would lead me to believe --relatively speaking-- we were in a better position to go for broke in 2005 than 2019.

Do we think Aaron is better at 35 than Brett was at 35?

If there's a QB for the future sitting there with that Saints pick, by all means, take him!!
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I couldn't agree more. I root every year for the Packers to draft players that cab legitimately replace their current starters, because that means they're getting better. My dream scenario would be to see Aaron Rodgers playing for another team next season—not because I have anything against Aaron Rodgers but because I would love for Green Bay to be so lucky in the draft that such a thing were possible. I'd be just as delighted if they took a talent who had a realistic shot at stealing Rodgers' job in two or three years. Wouldn't it be nice not to have to resign ourselves to a lost season every time our starting quarterback goes down for any length of time?
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago
I think Rodgers is, indeed, better than Favre at that age, but that isn't really the big point.

First of all, Rodgers hasn't been contemplating retirement every single off-season. According to an NBC article thant I can't even open via the waybackmachine anymore, Brett started that BS as early as 2003.

Secondly, the chance that something like that will ever happen again is miniscule. I doubt there's even two QBs in this class who would qualify as 1st rounders on talent alone, let alone two QBs who could be the 1st overall pick like back in 2005.

Lastly... I think there stil might be some hope that we could develop Kizer into a viable starter. It was obvious to everyone but the Browns that he wouldn't be able to start in his first season. He has all the attributes, but was way too raw. In 2004 we had Craig Nall as our only serious candidate to groom...

That said, if Drew Lock does fall to our pick, I wouldn't mind taking a shot. I don't think it's a very good year for QBs the way it's looking now, so I imagine he'll be pushed up the boards, rather than down, but we do have to start thinking about the future real soon.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I think Rodgers is, indeed, better than Favre at that age, but that isn't really the big point.

First of all, Rodgers hasn't been contemplating retirement every single off-season. According to an NBC article thant I can't even open via the waybackmachine anymore, Brett started that BS as early as 2003.

Secondly, the chance that something like that will ever happen again is miniscule. I doubt there's even two QBs in this class who would qualify as 1st rounders on talent alone, let alone two QBs who could be the 1st overall pick like back in 2005.

Lastly... I think there stil might be some hope that we could develop Kizer into a viable starter. It was obvious to everyone but the Browns that he wouldn't be able to start in his first season. He has all the attributes, but was way too raw. In 2004 we had Craig Nall as our only serious candidate to groom...

That said, if Drew Lock does fall to our pick, I wouldn't mind taking a shot. I don't think it's a very good year for QBs the way it's looking now, so I imagine he'll be pushed up the boards, rather than down, but we do have to start thinking about the future real soon.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Actually, excellent point on on the retirement limbo. It actually started after the Super Bowl win. He mentioned something about "what do I now, do I keep playing?". Personally, I try not to hold that against him, but I would rather my QB be more of the "This was great, I want this feeling against next year!" rather than opining outloud if he should keep playing.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
Rodgers worst years are better than favres better years. I'd say 3-4 of Favres years rival Rodgers average years. It was a different era and Brett Favre got rid of the fucking ball even if he'd want it back afterward.
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
Here are the 3 qb's with a day 1 rating.

Grier, Will rSr West Virginia QB
Haskins, Dwayne rSo Ohio State QB
Lock, Drew Sr Missouri QB

Haskins must have just decided to go pro.
He showed up on the list today.

Still very young but he is amazingly calm under all circumstances .
Heard him compared to a young Ben Roethlisberger.
Big strong kid who can already make all the throws.
Can run when needed, but prefers to stay in the pocket.

I know next to nothing about the other 2.

I think it's time to start looking.

Haskins wouldn't be a wasted pick at the bottom of the 1st round.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Why? because he's the youngest of them three.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Why? because he's the youngest of them three.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

As I said, he is the one I saw quite a bit of.
I know nothing about the other 2.

Just putting what info I know out here.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
5 years ago

2005 Draft vs 2019 Draft -- What's the difference?

About 14 years! (someone had to say it!)

But I would say the big difference is Craig Nall (and Favre seem to almost actually retire one year) vs Kizer and Boyle... I don't know if Kizer or Boyle will develop, but I think they have more physical potential to possibility develop than Nall.

Also Rodgers (IMO) was clearly the best QB in that draft, fell to us at what, 24? So if the best QB falls to our draft pick in the last first, then yeah, maybe pull the trigger and see what happens.

But the need for other positions is the same....

That being said, I see more similar with the 2017 draft.... the Packers had Gute as GM, they seriously needed CBs and it was supposed to be a CB deep draft class.... in 2018 the Packers biggest need based on current contracts signed (or in this case being up) is the defensive front at edge rusher and DL and this draft class is said to be deep at DL and edge rusher, at least at the very top 45 picks or so.... so the draft class and Packers needs sorta worked together and I could see the Packers using two high draft picks on defensive front, just like they did last year with CB.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (12h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (15h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (17h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (19h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (19h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (20h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

59m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.