KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
Let's not forget, on offense and defense, it all starts up front....

Offensive lines play crucial roles for both Patriots, Rams
By Kyle Hightower The Associated Press January 27, 2019 - 11:08 pm
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/super-bowl/offensive-lines-play-crucial-roles-for-both-patriots-rams-1583732/ 
ATLANTA — The Los Angeles Rams and New England Patriots are bringing two of the top scoring offenses in the NFL to the Super Bowl.

The reason they’ve both played so well has a lot to do with the big guys playing up front.

Los Angeles had the same offensive line starters for all 16 games and both playoff contests. Their consistency has been key to everything Rams coach Sean McVay does with a team that averaged 32.9 points per game, ranked second in the league.

A line that has nobody who has ever played in a Super Bowl is being rewarded.

“Having that consistency is big in everything we do,” left tackle Andrew Whitworth said. “We know each other very well at this point, and that’s something that you can rely on when you’re in a tight game, when you need to execute at an important time in the game.”

‘Incredible’ performance

The line has been just as dependable for the Patriots.

Tom Brady has not been sacked in either of New England’s two playoff wins, with defenses getting only three quarterback hits while chasing an offense that is part of a team averaging 27.3 points per game, ranked fourth in the NFL.

It hasn’t gone unnoticed by the Patriots’ 41-year-old quarterback.

In the days after their AFC championship game victory over Kansas City, Brady posted a picture on Instagram of his spotless jersey. He tagged each of his offensive linemen in the post, writing, “Not even 1 grass stain!”

The last time Brady wasn’t sacked through two playoff games was the 2003 season, when he wasn’t sacked at all during the Patriots’ three wins, including their Super Bowl victory over Carolina.

“I think they’ve performed incredible all year really,” Brady said. “We really haven’t had many sacks this year and I think they’ve done such a great job protecting, and the run game, I think that speaks for itself. That was just an incredible effort last week and we’re going to need it again because this group is obviously exceptional at (the defensive line).

“The D-line is certainly a great strength of theirs. We’ll be challenged. All those guys will be challenged.”

Rams show continuity

The 37-year-old Whitworth is the cornerstone of the Rams’ offensive turnaround, providing brilliant blocking and steady leadership ever since he left Cincinnati to join McVay on the West Coast two years ago. He has started every game except one in the past two seasons — and so have left guard Rodger Saffold, center John Sullivan and right tackle Rob Havenstein.

The Rams’ continuity on the line is remarkable in the modern NFL. Their only change from 2017 to 2018 was made at right guard, where Austin Blythe replaced the suspended Jamon Brown for the first two games of this season and played so well he never relinquished the spot.

The Rams’ offensive line is a reliable barometer for the success of their powerful offense. When the linemen are playing well, as they did through the first 10 weeks of the season, quarterback Jared Goff operates smoothly behind his protection and Todd Gurley finds gaping holes in their opponents’ defensive fronts.

When the line struggles, as it appeared to do at Detroit and Chicago in December, the offense stalls. Goff was pressured 51 times in a four-game stretch late in the regular season after getting pressured just 78 times in the first 10 games, directly leading to the Rams’ losses to the Bears and the Philadelphia Eagles.

“Everybody knows how much I love those guys,” Gurley said. “They’re responsible for everything. We’ve got the best line in the game, in my opinion, and they show it on the field every week.”
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Smokey
5 years ago
As much as I like your thread/post, I can't make others respect it too. Stomping on threads like the Chinese Army in muddy boots , seems to be the norm. If it's any consolation, my threads get walked on too. Sometimes the forum reminds me of a crowd of blind people in a fine China store, they mean well but still valuable pieces will get damaged.

🤷

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

As much as I like your thread/post, I can't make others respect it too. Stomping on threads like the Chinese Army in muddy boots , seems to be the norm. If it's any consolation, my threads get walked on too. Sometimes the forum reminds me of a crowd of blind people in a fine China store, they mean well but still valuable pieces will get damaged.

🤷

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago
Yes and it's a good thing the Packers also have a very talented OL as well 👍
Need to upgrade a little bit and stay healthy, but the Packers starting OL is quite talented also.

According to PFF grading (not perfect, but the best we currently got), the OL rankings, the Packers are still in the top 10 with half of the playoffs teams (including 3rd best OL in the NFC), and right in between the top two NFC teams.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Patriots
Another year, another well-oiled machine blocking in New England. Shaq Mason finished the season as PFF’s All-Pro right guard and all five starters were among the top-75 graded offensive linemen in the league.

Eagles
It wasn’t quite the dominant line they had hoped for with Jason Peters back healthy, but it was still easily one of the best units in the league. Jason Kelce was the top overall graded center, while Brandon Brooks and Lane Johnson were top five at their respective positions as well. The almost 37-year-old Peters though didn’t fare as well. His 34 pressures allowed were the second-most of any season in his career, and he didn’t even make it through the full year.

Rams
After such a hot start, the Rams offensive line getting exposed over the second half of the season was one of the more significant reasons for their offensive lull. Most notably, center John Sullivan’s play fell off a cliff down the stretch. After allowing four pressures through the first seven games, he allowed 32 over the last nine. Still, it’s one of the few lines in the NFL to have five starters play over 1,000 snaps.

Packers
Green Bay had their issues at right guard all season long, but it’s hard to overlook the fact that they sent out the best pass-protecting tackle duo in the league. David Bakhtiari had the highest pass-blocking grade among all tackles while Bryan Bulaga ranked second among right tackles in the NFL this season.

Saints
The Saints were similarly built to the Packers this season with two dominant tackles, but they struggled more when injuries struck. None of their starters on the interior had top 80 grades among all linemen, and Jermon Bushrod only earned a 62.2 overall grade in Terron Armstead’s place for much of the year.

profootballfocus  wrote:

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
5 years ago
You are only as strong as your weakest link...this isn't the NBA
beast
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: KRK 

No this is the NFL, where you can easily scheme around a single weak link... as there are 5 OL and 4 rushers... if they blitz a 5th guy, you then got a RB blocker for 6th blocker, OR you have 3 receivers in single coverage... which one of the 3 should win if the scheme is good and has quick routes.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
5 years ago

I never have liked Basketball, so I'll have to take your word on it.

I've always gaged the success of football teams by the success or failure of their O-line play. While they don't catch the footballs, or make the spectacular throws , or slash their way into endzones, they do make it possible for others to.

What I question is teams that cannot lose a starting lineman as it creates a position that defenses exploit. That is why Cole Madison was drafted last year and his failure to overcome his personal problems has the packers , once again looking at restocking it's stock of Beef.

As for relevant threads being buried by weaker ones, it happens all the time (Arnold).

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
5 years ago
Beast said

No this is the NFL, where you can easily scheme around a single weak link

I guess I am not willing to settle for a weak link with 40mm of cap money and a draft.
Cheesey
5 years ago
Brady gets rid of the ball fast. That’s why he isn’t hit much. Rodgers needs to take the short pass that gains 6 or 7 yards and not always look for the long ball. I can’t count the amount of times I have seen Aaron Rodgers have a guy open short, and he ignores him and holds the ball, forcing the o-line to have to block longer then they should have to.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Brady gets rid of the ball fast. That’s why he isn’t hit much. Rodgers needs to take the short pass that gains 6 or 7 yards and not always look for the long ball. I can’t count the amount of times I have seen Aaron Rodgers have a guy open short, and he ignores him and holds the ball, forcing the o-line to have to block longer then they should have to.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Exactly! If the scheme is changed and Rodgers gets rid of the ball quicker, and they run the ball more often (which usually offensive linemen prefer because they get.tonhit the defenders) then the same OL might look a lot better.

And Rodgers pissed me off in the Seahawks game, as there were a number of plays where they didn't seem to put anyone on Aaron Jones
In routes and Rodgers kept refusing to throw/look short... a wide open Jones might be able to catch it and take it a distance.

I guess I am not willing to settle for a weak link with 40mm of cap money and a draft.

I completely agree! You demand no weak links! 😁

But it's football, you can't be strong at every position, there just aren't enough good players and cap space to go around.

UserPostedImage