wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

Bullshit. Retiring of numbers is stupid. 53 players, plus 10 practice squad. Only get 99 numbers as it is.

I would rather see the number removed from circulation for 10-15 years. I came to this belief after Dale Earnhardt Sr passed away. I hated the idea of seeing #3 racing around the track. And then when it came back, when that #3 was on the track, it brought up more and more stories and memories about Dale and I went, wow, if the number carriers on, so do the memories. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.

DO NOT RETIRE NUMBERS!

And Charles Woodson does not deserve his number retired, neither did Reggie White.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What's the crime if the NFL authorized 100's too?
There are plenty of numbers available. 900 more to be exact.

If they can fit Hoomanawanui or Houshmandzadeh across the shoulders they can fit 125 on the back and chest.

Let teams build tradition and retire as many damn numbers as they want.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

If they can fit Hoomanawanui or Houshmandzadeh across the shoulders they can fit 125 on the back and chest.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Acceptable option if you ask me.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago

Without question he was and I also credit his teaching of Nick Collins which helped Collins become the player he was.

As for Charles Woodson. I do not think his time as a Packers player merits a number retirement. I also don't think any number should be retired. I watched Charles in college, liked him then and was jumping for joy when Packers signed him. He's one of my favorite players. Hell, I love Barry Sanders and I don't think his number should be retired.

As for Reggie White. My issue is the retiring of his number was more because of what he did as an Eagle AND Packers player, not for what he did as a Packers player. Maybe he didn't deserve it is too strong. I wouldn't have been upset if his number was removed from circulation for 10-15 years. How many times are we going to see the #92 in Green and Gold and have old highlight clips of him? And for what? Why? Why remove his number permanently?

I like numbers being up in the rafters/whatever in the ring of honor to honor them, but keep the number out of circulation only temporarily.

I like your opinion on not retiring numbers. But my opinion is if they're going to continue to do it, Woodson is just as deserving as some of the other guys up there.
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I like your opinion on not retiring numbers. But my opinion is if they're going to continue to do it, Woodson is just as deserving as some of the other guys up there.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

If they mistakenly continue to retire numbers, and they do or do not retire Woodson, it will not upset me either way.
UserPostedImage
sschind
4 years ago

Bullshit. Retiring of numbers is stupid. 53 players, plus 10 practice squad. Only get 99 numbers as it is.

I would rather see the number removed from circulation for 10-15 years. I came to this belief after Dale Earnhardt Sr passed away. I hated the idea of seeing #3 racing around the track. And then when it came back, when that #3 was on the track, it brought up more and more stories and memories about Dale and I went, wow, if the number carriers on, so do the memories. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.

DO NOT RETIRE NUMBERS!

And Charles Woodson does not deserve his number retired, neither did Reggie White.

What started as a short post has evolved into something very controversial so I'll warn you in advance. I'm just killing time before I need to be doing something very important and things just got away from me.

I disagree on the retiring numbers thing. I understand what you are saying and that's why it needs to be reserved for someone truly special. If they run out of numbers maybe they can put an asterisk after the new ones.

I agree with you on Woodson. He was a great player but I just don't think he stands heads an shoulders above several other Packer DBs who probably did as much and meant as much to the Packers.

I mostly disagree with you on Reggie White. I get the reluctance because of his split career but His coming here along with Favre rejuvenated the Packers. Yes they had help but its those two who the vast majority of people think of when they think of the Packers of that era.

The Packers have retired 6 numbers Hutson, Canedeo, Starr, Nitschke, Favre and White.

Without question I'll agree with Hutson and Starr. Hutson was so far ahead of his peers at the time and Starr was the leader of the Lombardi Packers and it ddn't hurt that he was a great player as well. I don't know enough about Canedeo to say I agree without question but I wouldn't argue. Nitschke I feel falls into a similar category as Woodson. I'll agree with the nod because not only was he a great player he was who you thought of on defense at the time, much like Reggie White, which is where he sets himself apart from Woodson. Admittedly I was not around then so I don't know for sure but I do feel that even though they had many other great defensive players Nitschke was the central figure.

I already said I agree with White so that leaves Favre and IMO he belongs in the same category as Starr and Hutson. I won't go so far as to say that he was the reason for the Packer resurgence but given the exposure teams of his era had, compared to the 60's, with internet and cable and network TV and the like, I think and I have said this before, Favre is the most important Packer player of all time. Not because he was the best (I'd put Starr and Rodgers over him at QB) or because he won more championships (obviously Starr has him beat and hopefully Rodgers will soon) but because when you think of the shear numbers of people , Packer fans or otherwise, who knew him and loved him, or hated him because he wasn't on their team, the number of people he affected and the fans he brought to Green Bay I just think he is the player I think of when I think of the Packers.

I know I'll catch a lot of flack for saying that and by no means do I wish to diminish what many others have done. I don't necessarily think he had the biggest impact on the team winning games. I just feel that Favre's emergence along with his style and pretty much everything about him came along at the perfect time when the NFL was ready to explode. It was already big but when Favre came along it was like people were looking for one more reason to watch and he was it. Since I really began following the NFL in the late 70's early 80's I would say Favre, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Walter Payton and Peyton Manning are probably the top 5 most important players to the NFL. It just so happened that when all those people fell in love with Favre they fell in love with the Packers as well. I'll throw Reggie into that mix as well and there are probably a few others who desrve consideration

I'm not going to try and convince anyone to agree with me. I have stated my reasons why I feel this way and you will all have your own very valid reasons to say it was someone else. I doubt you will convince me otherwise but feel free to try if you want but right now I have to go get ready for some football.
sschind
4 years ago

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Retired numbers and ring of honor are different things if that is what you mean by up there. I don't think Woodson compares to the 6 players who have had their numbers retired. With the ring of honor guys, yes.

beast
4 years ago

I would rather see the number removed from circulation for 10-15 years.

I agree, I rather see them remove the number for X-amount of years, than completely take it away.

That being said, I think it needs to be a larger number of years, as I'd worry that we'd see Owners like Jerry Jones (ones that want to be the center of attention) semi-retiring every single freaking star player... like Romo would get it, Ezekiel and Dak would get it too... and it's be more BS about Jones being a great draft mind, grabbing all these great players that got their numbers semi-retired...

Basically I'd worry about it becoming basically a 5 year Pro-Bowl contender nod, etc

I feel like it should be more like 25 to 50 years... a generation or two thing.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

"if" is the key word here... and considering the NFL has been extremely reactive, and has failed many many times to be proactive, the NFL is very unlikely to randomly change... especially over something they've found so hard (and possibly stupidly) to keep certain positions in certain number ranges even.

But yes if they were to do that, if the actually pig (instead of pigskin) were to suddenly fly, that could change the context and positions on this subject, but based on what they have been doing the last 100 years...

As far as letting them retire as many numbers as they want... like I said, I don't it want it to feel like a joke, which the pro-bowl has become... and some glory-hound owners would surely make it.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
I think one of my hangups on this -- as I think more about it -- is a Packers number being retired for a player who wasn't synomously known for his days as a Packers player rubs me wrong. Packers Hall of Fame, yes. Packers Ring of Honor, yes. Retired number? No, but I don't want any number retired. I want the stories to continue for ever!!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

I agree, I rather see them remove the number for X-amount of years, than completely take it away.

That being said, I think it needs to be a larger number of years, as I'd worry that we'd see Owners like Jerry Jones (ones that want to be the center of attention) semi-retiring every single freaking star player... like Romo would get it, Ezekiel and Dak would get it too... and it's be more BS about Jones being a great draft mind, grabbing all these great players that got their numbers semi-retired...

Basically I'd worry about it becoming basically a 5 year Pro-Bowl contender nod, etc

I feel like it should be more like 25 to 50 years... a generation or two thing.

"if" is the key word here... and considering the NFL has been extremely reactive, and has failed many many times to be proactive, the NFL is very unlikely to randomly change... especially over something they've found so hard (and possibly stupidly) to keep certain positions in certain number ranges even.

But yes if they were to do that, if the actually pig (instead of pigskin) were to suddenly fly, that could change the context and positions on this subject, but based on what they have been doing the last 100 years...

As far as letting them retire as many numbers as they want... like I said, I don't it want it to feel like a joke, which the pro-bowl has become... and some glory-hound owners would surely make it.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Boy we are a long way from switching jersey numbers.

Someone said the it's the same for all major sports. I remember a few years ago when St Louis traded for Jason Heyward. It was still spring training (maybe before spring training.) but he wanted # 22. The manager had it so you wouldn't think it was a big deal but they had to run it by the league and whoever made the jerseys. It took several weeks before it worked it's way through to approval.

beast- Don't look backwards over the past 100 years. There is no need to change today or in the next 5 years. Look forward to new owners. New circumstances. They may need to change in 20 or 30 years.

Yeah perhaps. But they own the team. I don't care if Jerry Jones retires 20 jerseys. It don't matter to me. If it panders to their fans and devalues the honor what do I care?

Who is to say how to determine who is "good enough" to have their number retired? If Kuhn was considered to be the heart and soul of the Packers for 15 years but as a FB never got many carries or receptions is it wrong to give him the honor? If the front office had a poll from the fans and he got a 90% approval rating to retire it, if he still had huge jersey sales numbers 10 years after retirement, why not?
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago

Retired numbers and ring of honor are different things if that is what you mean by up there. I don't think Woodson compares to the 6 players who have had their numbers retired. With the ring of honor guys, yes.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Yep. You're right. This is what I was thinking.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (12h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (17h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (19h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (19h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (22h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (22h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (22h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (23h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (23h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.