wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

For Green Bay Packers' 2019 sixth-round pick, Dexter Williams, his rookie season came with a lot of lumps during training camp and the preseason, followed by little playing time - [URL=https://www.pff.com/" target="_blank]10 offensive snaps[/URL] to be exact - in the regular-season.
In one practice, we saw Matt LaFleur remove Williams from a drill because of his lack of execution. Then in preseason games, we saw a runner who was indecisive at times, struggled as a pass-catcher, and someone who couldn't hold his own as a run-blocker. 
However, in Williams' defense, as a sixth-round pick that we all knew had a raw skill-set, to some extent, this should have been expected. But what can't be denied is the big-play ability that he displayed during his career at Notre Dame, [URL=https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dexter-williams-1.html" target="_blank]averaging 6.3 yards per carry[/URL] during his final season, and his natural fit for the LaFleur offense. 
The LaFleur run game is built around the outside zone run scheme, and while Williams certainly isn't the fastest back by any means, he's an explosive runner that can get north and south very quickly, which allows him to burst through any hole that the offensive line opens for him. Although initially, I pointed out what went wrong last summer for Williams, he also displayed that one-cut burst that is essential to this offense and racked up 128 rushing yards and one touchdown on 37 attempts last preseason. 
This is what we saw at Notre Dame from Dexter Williams: one cut and get downhill with explosiveness. Such a perfect fit for Matt LaFleur. pic.twitter.com/Dr2tmUfiuP 
— Peter Bukowski (@Peter_Bukowski) August 9, 2019 
Even with a loaded running back room, in a recent Zoom call with reporters,[URL=https://www.packers.com/" target="_blank] LaFleur mentioned[/URL] how excited he was to see Williams in training camp:
“The guy that I’m excited to see more too, is Dexter Williams. He’s a guy that’s really been working really really hard in all the video I’ve seen of him in the conditioning phases.”
With his rookie year now behind him, and all of our attention turned to the 2020 season, when it comes to the Green Bay Packers' running back room, Williams remains a bit of an afterthought, and it's easy to understand why.
Aaron Jones is coming off a breakout season where he posted nearly 1,100 rushing yards, nearly 500 more through the air, along with 19 total touchdowns. Jamaal Williams is about as reliable as they come in all three phases, and the Packers did just spend the 62nd pick on running back A.J. Dillon from Boston College. 
So, naturally, when many are putting together their roster predictions - including myself - the common theme is to keep four running backs. The three mentioned above, along with Tyler Ervin, given his special teams prowess and his ability as a gadget player within the offense. I'd certainly consider this a reasonable projection.
But as Lee Corso says, "not so fast!"
With training camp underway this past week, we've learned a few things. One being that Ervin was working out with the receivers and not the running backs. Now, this shouldn't come as a total shock to anyone. With Jones, J. Williams, and Dillon, Ervin was unlikely to see many snaps out of the backfield, although I'm sure there will be a few. Even in his short time with Green Bay last season, 35 of his 46 total offensive snaps came either out wide or in the slot. So as I said, Ervin going through practice with the receivers isn't breaking news. 
What this means for Dexter Williams, however, is that there appears to be a much more clearer path to the final roster, which even just a week ago seemed bleak. At the receiver position, I would consider Davante Adams, Allen Lazard, Equanimeous St. Brown, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling as locks. But with Devin Funchess opting-out, that leaves a spot or two open that LaFleur could give to Ervin depending on how players like Jake Kumerow, Reggie Begelton, Darrius Shepherd, and Malik Turner perform. 
With Ervin's skill-set and ability as a return man, he is going to be on the final roster, but what's important is what position he is listed at. And if it is, in fact, as a receiver, then Williams could very well be the Packers fourth running back in 2020. 
Now, having said all of that, there is still plenty that has to play out before these decisions are made, and ultimately, it's up to Williams to show that he's deserving of a roster spot. Last season he just squeaked on the team, but it was evident that he didn't have LaFleur's trust. I mean, Tra Carson saw more action than him before he was eventually cut.  
Dexter Williams is in Year 2 of the offense, he's a great fit for it, and he's on LaFleur's radar. Now it's time to perform and capitalize on this opportunity.  
Filed Under:[URL=/blog/category/featured" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Featured[/URL][URL=/blog/category/paul-bretl" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Paul Bretl[/URL][URL=/blog/category/columns-and-features" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Columns and Features[/URL]---------------------
Born and raised in Green Bay, WI and I still call it home. After my family, watching the Packers, sharing my opinions on the team through my writing and interacting with other fans is my greatest passion. You can find me on Twitter at @Paul_Bretl .

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

With Jones and J. Williams contracts expiring at the end of the season and with Dillon now in the mix there is no reason to think GB can pay both Aaron and JWill. That leaves Dex waiting in the wings. Even so he's fourth or fifth (if you include Ervin. And yes I know he's lining up in the slot.) Nevertheless Dex is still in a precarious position.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
I love Dex, but he hasn't got pass pro down yet. Second year. Gotta get that shit down.

He seems to have the playbook down, catching the ball better. Maybe they'll only keep 5 WR.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
3 years ago

I love Dex, but he hasn't got pass pro down yet. Second year. Gotta get that shit down.

He seems to have the playbook down, catching the ball better. Maybe they'll only keep 5 WR.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah, if everyone stays healthy it could come down to the 6th WR Kumerow vs 4th RB Dexter Williams for the last spot.

I have a random gut feeling that Gute doesn't love Kumerow, because Gute strongly favors guys will large ceiling, and Kumerow is the opposite. And LaFleur seems to be fairly interested in Dexter. So that would favor Dexter.

But WRs would have 6 WR spots for 2.5 spots, as 3 WRs are used often. But RBs would have 4 RBs (and Ervin) for 1 RB spot, maybe two if they use Jamaal Williams as a FB, which he slightly did last year, but not too much. Which would favor keeping another WR over RB.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago

Yeah, if everyone stays healthy it could come down to the 6th WR Kumerow vs 4th RB Dexter Williams for the last spot.

I have a random gut feeling that Gute doesn't love Kumerow, because Gute strongly favors guys will large ceiling, and Kumerow is the opposite. And LaFleur seems to be fairly interested in Dexter. So that would favor Dexter.

But WRs would have 6 WR spots for 2.5 spots, as 3 WRs are used often. But RBs would have 4 RBs (and Ervin) for 1 RB spot, maybe two if they use Jamaal Williams as a FB, which he slightly did last year, but not too much. Which would favor keeping another WR over RB.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Matt has said a nice thing about Dex, but did really not like him last year.

I could see Ervin as a slash guy, RB/WR, could save a roster spot at both positions. After all they'll be keeping 4 TEs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nyrpack
3 years ago
With aj Dillon in the mix , no playing time for this kid !!
jimmy b.
nerdmann
3 years ago
they should keep him around imo. Jamal doesn't figure to be around next year. He's got skills imo
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (2h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (16h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (21h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (23h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (23h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.