dingus
15 years ago

Embarrassed in ways they never were last year?

The Brett Favre portion of the Dallas game, both losses to the Bears?

We've been blown out once this year, New Orleans. A couple of different bounces and we'd have a completely different record.

I'm not saying that we're a great Football team but we've held our own against great teams this season.

I didn't know what to expect this season, I think next year will be a whole different ballgame.

"obi1" wrote:

Losing to the Cowboys was NOT an embarassment. IT was expected. Were they NOT the first seed last year?

A mediocre Saints team BLEW us out this year.

"dingus" wrote:

It was expected? Didn't both teams have identical records? Wasn't it billed as THE game of the season and possible Home field advantage. Maybe you expected us to lose but I don't think that was the general consensus.

And yes, NO is a mediocre team but did we get blown out by Carolina, or Atlanta or Tampa or Indy or Tennessee? We did not, NO was the exception, not the rule.
blank
dingus
15 years ago

We are seeing the... shall I say it? Brett Favre difference. What he meant to this team last year is on showcase here........

"greenwhiteandnogold" wrote:

bravo! I couldn't have said it better myself. +1

"obl1" wrote:

You have said it yourself, over and over.

As most football fans on this forum have noted, Brett Favre does not play defense.
blank
obi1
15 years ago

YES Packers defense stinks and the team is hurt in several key positions but Packers were missing players last year also.

"longtimefan" wrote:

1st off give us the starting D players from last year, then put the ones from this year..

Let us really see how much different this D is?

Then after that look at this

For 16 games last year

D last year gave up 1597 yards rushing

4.1 per carry

13 tds

they gave up 20+ yards 20 times

40+ yards 4 times

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So far this year

1841 yards ( over 16 games that 2265 yards )

4.8 yards per carry

17 td ( over 16 games thats almost 20 tds )

Gave up 20 + yards 14 times

Gave up 40+ yards 4 times

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our D compared to last year SUCKS

Brett would not have made Harrell, Montgomery, Bishop play any better and btw those were starters last week or played lot more then they should have\

So stop with the Brett would have made the D better thats BULLSHIT

Maybe the offense could have played a notch better but IMO that would have only been one more win, vs Tampa

"obi1" wrote:

There was once a U.S. Karate team consisted of 5 men who traveled to versus other national teams. They were 5 on 5, with individual fights and the winning team declared by the TOTAL points scored.

The U.S team consisted of 3 relative unknowns, relatively young and inexperienced, one seasoned veteran with some talent and was anchored by a true star of the sport. Due to the lack of experience by the team, they were expected to do little in international competition.

However, they stunned the world when they upset Japan to take the world championship. The anchor of the team carried the team through many of the matches but, because he was doing so well and his reputation and legendary performances so motivated his teammates that they went above and beyond their limits to stay even and sometimes even outscore their opponents. Knowing that if given a chance, their anchor would pull it out for 'em at the end. The fighters fought with more confidence, intensity, amd grit.

They also considered it a great honor to be on the same team with a fighter and a warrior of this legendary caliber and though unspoken, found themselves digging deeper to fight harder.

2 years later, the same team but with anoter anchor, found that the team wasn't the same. The motivation was not their and the new anchor, though a fighter of extreme talent as he needed to be wasn't enough to propel the team to victory.

Yes I believe their are those out there due to their reputation, psyche, moxie, or whatever, propels their team to greater heights. Who by his presence makes each and EVERY player better.

I think 2007 season was an example of that...

Aaron Rodgers has the makings of a great QB. And in a few years, after he continues to prove himself could be every bit as important in the hearts of the players, fans, and the coaches alike but, this year isn't it.

I think the Packers performances bear that out.
blank
macbob
15 years ago

You hear Packer players saying we are what we are and our record is who we are. For the past two year and half years, I've looked at Mike McCarthy and was duly impressed with his coaching staff. I thought he had really coached his team up and that their record was better than the talent because they were so well coached. This year I don't see that same high level of coaching. I see a team making mistake upon mistake and missing assignments all over the place. Certainly that isn't a sign of good coaching.

I've heard the discussion about how injured we are, but even before Barnett went down, he wasn't playing very well. Both Tauscher and Clifton along with the rest of the entire line has struggled mightily. So what has happened to this team? Are we really this bad?

"djcubez" wrote:

I don't think we're as bad as our record. Just look at our points for/points against.

Last year, in our first seven games 6 were decided by a touchdown or less, and we were 5-1 in those games. This year, we're 1-5 in games decided by a touchdown or less. That's the main difference.

If we had gone 1-5 last year in close games, we would have been 2-5 instead of 6-1 after seven games. That whole season would have gone differently. If we had the same record this year (5-1) in close games we'd be sitting at 9-4 right now.

What we have is a very young team--led by a young quarterback--that is inconsistent and hasn't figured out how to finish out a game yet.

The defense has been a lot worse than I expected, and (in my opinion) a lot of that falls to the coaches and defensive schemes.

We're essentially one play/stop in each game away. But we didn't/couldn't make the play/stop in any of those games. And that says a lot about the youth and about the coaches preparing the players.

"macbob" wrote:

I agree a lot with this post. Pretty much all of it in fact. A lot of stupid mistakes/blown plays are a factor, as well as youth, coaching, injuries, etc..

However, obi1 brings a valid point. While I don't see us being a better team with Favre on the roster, I do believe that we have been seeing a lot less fire from our players. That extra bit of aggression that gives players a push. The one that the Giants had last year in the playoffs, or the tenacity that a player like Merriman/Haynesworth/Ray Lewis brings. I agree to the point that we lost a leader on our team, and we've struggled to replace their presence. Rodger's is in his first season as a starer so we can't expect too much, but no veteran has really stepped up to the plate. We don't have a fiery player that gets us pumped up and I think if we got one our team would play different.

"packedhouse02" wrote:

Agree 100% on the fiery leader. Reggie White started it when he came to Green Bay--he inspired the team with the way he played the game, and the whole team badly wanted to win a Super Bowl for him. Last year, I think there was a lot of the same effect with Brett.

This year, the closest we've got to that same superstar quality are Charles Woodson, Al Harris, and Donald Driver, but it doesn't appear any of them of stepped up into the leader role.
UserPostedImage
obi1
15 years ago

We've been blown out once this year, New Orleans. A couple of different bounces and we'd have a completely different record.

I'm not saying that we're a great Football team but we've held our own against great teams this season.

I didn't know what to expect this season, I think next year will be a whole different ballgame.

"dingus" wrote:

Losing to the Cowboys was NOT an embarassment. IT was expected. Were they NOT the first seed last year?

"obi1" wrote:

It was expected? Didn't both teams have identical records? Wasn't it billed as THE game of the season and possible Home field advantage. Maybe you expected us to lose but I don't think that was the general consensus.

And yes, NO is a mediocre team but did we get blown out by Carolina, or Atlanta or Tampa or Indy or Tennessee? We did not, NO was the exception, not the rule.

"dingus" wrote:

Dingus,

Haven't the Packers lost in Dallas over and over for the last decade or so?

And IF you don't know me by now, I expect the Packers to win EVERY game.

I expect 16-0 EVERY year as I have often posted here.

I think you missed my point. The differnce isn't in the players but in their hearts and no amount of statistics are going to measure the heart of the players.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago

"obi1" wrote:

"dingus" wrote:

"obi1" wrote:

Dingus,

I think you missed my point. The differnce isn't in the players but in their hearts and no amount of statistics are going to measure the heart of the players.

"dingus" wrote:

Heart yes

but from what we are told

Harrell sucks, Bishop sucks, Montgomery sucks

So how in the F$%&$% are those guys going to up their level of play then if they really suck?

They can't cuz they do not have it in them

GOD him self could not make them play any better
obi1
15 years ago

"longtimefan" wrote:

"obi1" wrote:

"dingus" wrote:

Dingus,

"obi1" wrote:

Heart yes

but from what we are told

Harrell sucks, Bishop sucks, Montgomery sucks

So how in the F$%&$% are those guys going to up their level of play then if they really suck?

They can't cuz they do not have it in them

GOD him self could not make them play any better

"dingus" wrote:

Let's keep GOD out of it. GOD can make anything happen. :thumbright:

My point is that the heart isn't there for those people. And may be that is the difference that #4 made for the Packers. I don't know how to fix it, is there another Reggie White around somewhere?
blank
greenwhiteandnogold
15 years ago

We are seeing the... shall I say it? Brett Favre difference. What he meant to this team last year is on showcase here........

"dingus" wrote:

bravo! I couldn't have said it better myself. +1

"greenwhiteandnogold" wrote:

You have said it yourself, over and over.

As most football fans on this forum have noted, Brett Favre does not play defense.

"obl1" wrote:

13-3 vs 5-8... enough of the excuses. This team would have been better with Brett at the helm for one or two more years, period.

If the Packers were 11-3 right now, you'd all be singing the praises of TT, MM, and Buck Rodgers, You can't have it both ways! I was ready to eat crow for being a darksider. If the Packers did just as well this year, I was willing to say that Ted Thompson was right, but you know what... he wasn't right. You're not leaving the table until you eat your crow.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

Stats don't bear out the What Favre brought to the field.

"obi1" wrote:

Your argument sounds compelling at first blush, except it fails utterly to explain either the 2005 seasons (4-12) or the 2006 season (8-8). Where was Favre's mystical influence those years?

Oh, wait, what's that I hear? It was all the defense's fault those years?

Figures.

In the face of empirical facts, your argument falls flat on its face.
UserPostedImage
greenwhiteandnogold
15 years ago

Stats don't bear out the What Favre brought to the field.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Your argument sounds compelling at first blush, except it fails utterly to explain either the 2005 seasons (4-12) or the 2006 season (8-8). Where was Favre's mystical influence those years?

Oh, wait, what's that I hear? It was all the defense's fault those years?

Figures.

"obi1" wrote:

Are we talking about 05 or are we talking about 08? Last I checked, we were talking about 07 and 08.

The team was very different from 2005 to 2008 than it was form 2007 to 2008. Completely different teams. Granted, there were a couple of new players from 2007 to 2008, so you can't say that Favre was the only difference. Albeit, he was the only major move.

In 2005 we had a completely different team, different receivers, different O-line, different defense. Completely Apples to Oranges. Let me see... we had Driver in 05, we had Favre in 05, we had KGB in 2005... hmm... didn't have Jones, didn't have Jennings, didn't have Grant, didn't have over half of the starters we had then.

blank