wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

The Green Bay Packers are 9-3-0 and have a solid hold on first place in the NFC North division. But that doesn’t mean the team still doesn’t have areas that need improvement. One of those areas in recent games has been special teams.
The Packers have struggled on special teams in recent years, usually ranking near the bottom of the league overall in that category. This year has been no exception. The Packers are struggling in almost every area of special teams, especially in recent weeks.
While kicker Mason Crosby has been a perfect 14-for-14 on field goals, he has already missed three extra points this season including missing them on back-to-back games against the Bears and Eagles. It’s been a challenging season for Crosby who started training camp on the Covid-19 reserve list and has dealt with several nagging injuries that nearly kept him out of several games. For a few weeks, Crosby was unable to kickoff although he has since resumed those duties.
Meanwhile, punter J.K. Scott has had another slump in November and that has carried on into early December. Scott has shanked a few punts during that stretch, costing the Packers valuable field position. He has also had one punt blocked this season. The former Alabama star has also allowed a pair of punt returns for touchdowns in recent games and made embarrassing efforts at tackles on both of those scores.
Head coach Matt LaFleur wasn’t pleased with the punt coverage and said so after the win over the Eagles on Sunday. “We can’t have that happen,” LaFleur told reporters. “I don’t think that was J.K.’s best punt by any stretch. I know and he knows we have to be more consistent in that regard. And just, the coverage, we just can’t have that happen.”
LaFleur added, “We’ve just got to get better. We’ve got to make sure we’ve got the right people in there to go down and make a play because that can’t happen and you’re right, that can get you beat.”
The return game has also struggled. The Packers were on pace for a record poor punt return mark last season before the signing of Tyler Ervin for the final four games. In fact, the Packers had negative punt return yardage over the first 12 games in 2019.
This year, Ervin has struggled with injuries and is now on the IR. His numbers as a punt returner have been down when he’s been in the lineup. Last season, Ervin averaged 9.6-yards per punt return with Green Bay. This season, he is averaging just 4.0-yards per runback. On kick returns, Ervin averaged 26.7-yards per runback in 2019, this season, he’s averaged only 19.6.
When Ervin has been out of the lineup, the Packers have not had any alternatives that have struck fear in the hearts of opposing teams. Malik Taylor has averaged just 17.7-yards per kick return while the since departed Darrius Shepherd averaged 20.6-yards per return and had issues holding on to the football.
On punt returns, Shepherd averaged just 6.0-yards per runback while Josh Jackson has averaged just 6.5.
The overall numbers aren’t pretty. The Packers as a team are averaging 4.9-yards per punt return while their opponents are averaging 19.4-yards per runback. Meanwhile, on kick returns, Green Bay is averaging 18.8-yards per return while opponents are averaging 22.6.
The Packers will now turn to the recently signed Tavon Austin who is expected to make his Packers debut on Sunday against the Lions. Austin has played seven years in the NFL with the Rams and Cowboys and is considered a dangerous punt returner.
Austin ran back one punt return for a touchdown in each of his first three NFL seasons including a 98-yard jaunt in his rookie season against the Colts.
Packers special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga spoke about Austin in his press conference with reporters last week. “He’s an established returner that’s created big plays and had a lot of big things happen,” Mennenga said. “He’s definitely dangerous with the ball in his hands.”
Austin at least provides the Packers with hope that the return game can be revitalized until Ervin is healthy again or perhaps beyond that if Austin proves himself an upgrade at the position.
Mennenga perhaps said it best when he added, “It’s frustrating when you put the time and the effort in like we do. You always want good results. We want to help the team win and when you don’t do those things, it’s very frustrating.”
The Packers have four games left to get things straightened out before the playoffs begin. A big play on special teams either way could make the difference between an early playoff exit or a trip to the Super Bowl.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Why is it a struggle to have a decent ST every single year?
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

Why is it a struggle to have a decent ST every single year?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I figure a number of reasons... but one of them include that our depth at CB/S/ILB which usually make up a large portion of ST... the depth of those positions have sucked.

Another reason is that the Packers really haven't looked for returner types outside of one on the roster at a time... then they get injured.

And then injuries take a lot of the STer and ask them to play more with the starters and less with STs.

And maybe coaching... ?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

I figure a number of reasons... but one of them include that our depth at CB/S/ILB which usually make up a large portion of ST... the depth of those positions have sucked.

Another reason is that the Packers really haven't looked for returner types outside of one on the roster at a time... then they get injured.

And then injuries take a lot of the STer and ask them to play more with the starters and less with STs.

And maybe coaching... ?

Originally Posted by: beast 

It's more than just a fast guy running with the ball.

There are a lot of components to a complete ST team. Kickoff coverage and return. Punt coverage and return along with FG teams.

Injuries do play a factor but other teams have the same exposure but don't consistently have the same problems. If it was mainly injury it would be one year good next year not so good. It's year after year that GB has issues mainly in coverage.

Coaching could be part of the problem but GB has had a few ST coaches in the past 10 years.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

It's more than just a fast guy running with the ball.

There are a lot of components to a complete ST team. Kickoff coverage and return. Punt coverage and return along with FG teams.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yes but on STs especially, speed kills!

STs scores are larger ranked by Kickers, Returners and Coverage units... which most number of people is needed for cover unit part, which is smart, fast guy, tackling the guy with the ball.

And we've lacked good depth at returners and the positions that usually make good coverage units.

And yes there is also blocking... but usually kicks aren't blocked, no matter who's out there. In theory, our return blocking should be better as we look for big physical WRs and lots of TEs.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
To me, it seems the coverage unit is trying to get downfield so fast, that they can’t make the needed change of direction it takes to match the moves the returner makes. I’d rather give up a few extra yards to the returner and to get him down, then to over run him and watch him as he runs past you.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
I've heard Hunter Bradley has been very shaky with his long snapping. Crosby has missed TWO extra points lately because of it.

JK Scott needs to figure out how he's gonna kick it. If you're going for the coffin corner, you want more of a line drive, so the wind doesn't carry it. But punters don't do thst anymore. So get some hang time. These shitheads can't maintain lane intrgrity. Help them out.

Let's see how Tavon can hold onto the ball (not to jinx him of course.) See if he's still got some of that 4.3 left over. Might even get him on a Jet sweep or two.

The rap on Ervin was always his availability. Dude gets hurt a lot. That's how we were able to pick him up off the street. He's got skills, he just can't hold it all together.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
3 years ago

I've heard Hunter Bradley has been very shaky with his long snapping. Crosby has missed TWO extra points lately because of it.

JK Scott needs to figure out how he's gonna kick it. If you're going for the coffin corner, you want more of a line drive, so the wind doesn't carry it. But punters don't do thst anymore. So get some hang time. These shitheads can't maintain lane intrgrity. Help them out.

Let's see how Tavon can hold onto the ball (not to jinx him of course.) See if he's still got some of that 4.3 left over. Might even get him on a Jet sweep or two.

The rap on Ervin was always his availability. Dude gets hurt a lot. That's how we were able to pick him up off the street. He's got skills, he just can't hold it all together.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

It all starts with the long snapper.
If he fucks up then the holder more than likely fucks up.
And the kicker gets the blame for a miss.
Perhaps the long snapper is the problem with the horse shit punting.

Cheesey
3 years ago
I used to live next door to a guy that was known as “special”.
So I think the name “special” teams fits, for our guys.
😜😝
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (3h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (9h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (10h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (10h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (13h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (13h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (13h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (14h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (14h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.