Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081214&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=81214038&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]JACKSONVILLE, Fla. Its one thing to accept responsibility for the Green Bay Packers horrendous slump; its another to do something about it.

Thats the difficult place quarterback Aaron Rodgers finds himself in following another demoralizing Packers loss, this time at the hands of the lowly Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Packers are out of playoff contention and out of explanations for their repeated failures to win close games this season. A 20-16 loss at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium Sunday was more of the same old tired routine for the Packers, who for the sixth time this season had a chance to mount a winning drive in the final minutes but failed.

Its frustrating, because it seems to be the same thing every week, guard Daryn Colledge said. I get tired of doing the same interview. Its like, Oh man, its so close, you guys had an opportunity, what happened at the end? Right now, we need to find out a way to get it done in the end so we can stop talking about what we didnt do.

The way to get it done begins with Rodgers, the leader of the offense who has played respectably for a first-year starter but has come up short with games on the line.

None of Rodgers teammates blame him for the Packers offensive shortcomings in crunch time. Quite the contrary, theyre quick to defend him.

Its not one person at all, tackle Chad Clifton said. Aarons been playing his butt off this year, no question about that.

But theres a reason Rodgers is the highest-paid player on this team, and theres a reason he starts at the most important position.

Rodgers must be the player to lead this team out of its death spiral. Rodgers must be the one to strap the free-falling Packers on his shoulders and carry them out of the abyss.

Its too late to salvage much from this season other than pride, but if the Packers have any hopes of turning things around next season, it must start with Rodgers.

He couldnt rally the Packers against the Jaguars in the final 2 minutes for a game-winning touchdown, but instead threw an interception to end their hopes.

Rodgers is a stand-up guy who has not deflected blame for the Packers plight.

I get paid to make plays, Rodgers said. So, I need to make plays. I havent been doing that as well or as often as I want to be or should be. So, I take it on myself. Its disappointing. Ive got to make the throws. I get paid to make those plays down the stretch. I havent been making them. I take that right on my shoulders.

The problem is Rodgers said much the same thing after losses against Houston, Carolina, Minnesota, Tennessee and Tampa Bay. At some point, he has to turn those admirable words into action and guide the Packers to a victory in a tight game.

When asked if Rodgers was to blame for the Packers inability to score against the Jaguars on yet another late-game possession with the outcome in the balance, coach Mike McCarthy replied: I think its on the whole offense. The quarterback is a big part of it.

The offense is an 11-man unit, so singling out one player for repeated failures isnt necessarily fair. But thats life in the NFL, where quarterbacks have the greatest impact on winning and losing.

They make a play, weve got to come back and finish it off and we dont do it, Rodgers said. Thats kind of been the script, unfortunately. Its disappointing. I take as much blame as anybody should.

Its not as if Rodgers has completely gone in the tank with games on the line. He led the Packers to a fourth-quarter go-ahead field goal on Sunday, but the Jaguars responded with a touchdown. The same thing happened against the Panthers two weeks ago. In both cases, Rodgers performance wasnt good enough.

Rodgers entered the weekend as a top 10 NFL quarterback in several statistical categories. Theres no question he has the tools necessary to become a special player, but for that to happen, he has to start leading the Packers to victories. Thats the only statistic that matters.

I agree with this...

Also I think it's time for Rodgers to get on board or keep his mouth shut.

... "They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut."...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Hmmm where have I seen this before, but we now agree.. hmmm :lol:

Just yanking the chain.. but this whole team better get on board quickly or just shut up.

Prove it on the field.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I'm sure I'll get ripped, but I find it interesting that as the team continues to lose, more and more fans are pointing at Rodgers.

I'm not saying the kid's perfect or doesn't still have some things to learn -- he's obviously still a work in process. But seriously, just how many times is he supposed to drive the team down the field? If he drives them down to a score that puts the team up, aren't we supposed to look to our DEFENSE to keep that lead?

Now, I get that the D can't keep that end of the bargain this year, but I don't get how it then becomes Rodgers' fault if he can't do it yet again.

It's been discussed and proven that even the greatest don't pull that feat off very often (what was it, 12 come-from-behind @ the end of the game drives for Favre, who's known for exactly that?). So why the hate on Rodgers for not being able to do it like 3-4 times in his first season? Is this just frustration over a disappointing season, or are Packer fans as impatient as any other NFL fan?
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Yeah, when you look on Packers.com, you see that the vast majority of his much-lauded "4th-quarter game-winning drives" came with between 9 and 13 minutes remaining. He wasn't the master engineer of the 2:00 come-from-behind victory that the fanatics have him made out to be.
UserPostedImage
gotarace
15 years ago

I'm sure I'll get ripped, but I find it interesting that as the team continues to lose, more and more fans are pointing at Rodgers.

I'm not saying the kid's perfect or doesn't still have some things to learn -- he's obviously still a work in process. But seriously, just how many times is he supposed to drive the team down the field? If he drives them down to a score that puts the team up, aren't we supposed to look to our DEFENSE to keep that lead?

Now, I get that the D can't keep that end of the bargain this year, but I don't get how it then becomes Rodgers' fault if he can't do it yet again.

It's been discussed and proven that even the greatest don't pull that feat off very often (what was it, 12 come-from-behind @ the end of the game drives for Favre, who's known for exactly that?). So why the hate on Rodgers for not being able to do it like 3-4 times in his first season? Is this just frustration over a disappointing season, or are Packer fans as impatient as any other NFL fan?

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I think it is a double edged sword with the fans being impatient for the Packers to produce. First in this stage of the season the costly mistakes we incure with dumb mistakes surely points to a lack of being prepared on both sides of the ball. We can't and shoudn't expect a pro football team to have mental breakdowns week after week even with a rookie qb at the helm. This is a glaring reflection to the entire coaching staff.

Also after a great season we had last year it tears the guts out of the fans to see our beloved Packers take a turn due south like this. Over reaction sure...But it's only because we bleed green and gold.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
yooperfan
15 years ago
It has been brought up in other threads about Rodgers holding the ball too long and I could see their point a little but wasn't raelly concerned.
Yesterday it seemed to me that he held the ball way too long to the point I was becoming downright angry.

I believe his decision making will get better with time but I think he has actually regressed as the season has worn on.
Packnic
15 years ago

I would agree... The Green Bay Packer fan of yesteryear, is no where to be seen these days. I have been as disappointed in the greatest fan base on the planet, as I have the team this year.
blank
El3ment12
15 years ago

This is true. We can't just agree its the defense, even though it is. Rodgers has taken us down, and scored. Then he has to do it again, with like 40 seconds left?? Thats extremely hard because then the defense plays prevent. Thats where those picks came from. Rodgers is a good QB, and once our defense is improved I think we are NFC North champs again, for at least 4 years in a row.
Pack93z
15 years ago

I would agree... The Green Bay Packer fan of yesteryear, is no where to be seen these days. I have been as disappointed in the greatest fan base on the planet, as I have the team this year.

"Packnic" wrote:

Nah.. we are still a outstanding fan base.. just one that had too lofty of expectations coming into this season.

The drama didn't help either.

I am more or less believing that we weren't a 13-3 team last season.. we had a ton of things go our way.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
alldaybaby
15 years ago
i think the fan impatience comes from this packer team was so close last year , and this big step backwards really isn't going to help , the problem is i think people expected too much this year , guys don't come in and replace HOF quarterbacks without a drop off , the only problem is too many key players are up in age , so i don't see this getting better overnight unless Ted Thompson gets the check book out this off season , and tbh i don't see him as that sort of GM

And stuff like this doesn't help either

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports//index.php?ntid=318603 
a classic Aaron rogers quote\r\n\r\nquote: \"I\'ve got a roommate, a guy I met in town. He works for the Packers now as an athletic trainer....He\'s been great for me...Our friendship goes a lot deeper than what we do. \"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (2h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (13h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (15h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (15h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (15h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (15h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (22h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.