Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I think the piece on Finley should quiet a little bit of the punk talk I have heard here.. he is a kid, but the coaches are happy with his attitude.

Anyway.. Ted speaks.. wonder how deep that cave was that he was hiding in. :lol:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/36481544.html 

Green Bay - General manager Ted Thompson warns that it's far too early to judge the Green Bay Packers' draft class of 2008 despite the fact that it offered little help in the first year.

"So far, I'm very pleased," Thompson said at midweek. "But none of us will really know for a few years. We think we've got some good players who are going to be good players for a long time. We know we've got some good people."

After trading down four times and up once, Thompson wound up with nine players. Of the nine, eight are on the 53-man roster and the final pick, wide receiver Brett Swain, was cut and re-signed to the practice squad.

Thompson said he was disappointed in neither the players nor himself for lacking a starter on what evolved into a losing team.

"Just the way it's turned out," Thompson said. "Some of them have limited play time, some of them have none. But I think they've done a nice job of what we've asked them to do."

The Packers placed Nick Collins on the all-rookie team in 2005, which was Thompson's first draft, and three more in 2006: wide receiver Greg Jennings, guard Daryn Colledge and linebacker A.J. Hawk.

They didn't have any selections in 2007 and probably won't have any this year.

Jordy Nelson, the only player with production, is fifth among rookie wide receivers with 30 receptions for 330 yards and two touchdowns. Thompson traded out of the first round (No. 30) for the No. 36 pick that became Nelson and a fourth-round choice that he used to trade up for defensive end Jeremy Thompson.

Most of the six players the Packers bypassed by trading down have performed well.

Tight end Dustin Keller (No. 30) has 45 receptions for 509 yards and three touchdowns for the Jets.

Safety Kenny Phillips (No. 31) still isn't starting for the Giants but is fifth on the team in tackles with 58. Defensive end Phillip Merling (No. 32) has 24 tackles and one sack off the bench for Miami.

Wide receiver Donnie Avery (No. 33) has 43 receptions for 578 yards and two touchdowns as a starter for St. Louis. Wide receiver Devin Thomas (No. 34) has 14 catches and eight tackles on special teams for Washington. Cornerback Brandon Flowers (No. 35) has 67 tackles and two interceptions as a starter for Kansas City.

Immediately after Nelson's selection, Curtis Lofton went to Atlanta. A starter at middle linebacker, he ranks second among all rookies in tackles with 100.

The No. 38 pick was John Carlson, who leads rookie tight ends with 51 catches for 601 yards and four touchdowns for Seattle.

The leading rookie wide receiver, Eddie Royal, has 75 catches for 847 yards and five touchdowns. He went No. 42 to Denver.

Thompson was asked if he considered trading down those six slots and taking Nelson to be a good move.

"I'm OK with it," he said. "Because I like Jordy. I'm not saying there's not good players in the draft."

Cornerback Pat Lee (five games) finished with one tackle before going on injured reserve Nov. 24. Tight end Jermichael Finley (12 games) has three catches for 10 yards. The oft-injured Jeremy Thompson has 13 tackles and no sacks in seven games, including three starts.

Josh Sitton started one game and filled in extensively in several others as the No. 3 guard.

Quarterbacks Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn as well as tackle Breno Giacomini have had little or no playing time.

In all, 28 of Thompson's 43 selections (65.1%) are on the 53-man roster, including nine starters (20.9%) and 11 situational substitutes.

How GM Ted Thompson assessed his fourth class of Packers draftees:

Round 2, 36th pick, Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State: "He does what we thought he could do. He's good after the catch. We think he catches the ball very good. We think he can assert himself down the field. There's a lot of guys to throw to in that receiver bunch so there's only so many balls to go around. We think he'll become even a better player. It wouldn't surprise me a bit (if he became a starter)."

2-56, Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville: "The preseason was rough on him because you're normally playing with the third group or whatever and teams get a little chaotic. He's got very good command of the position. You can tell he's played it his entire life and had a lot of instruction. Sometimes it takes a little while to get comfortable. During the time Matt and he had to take all the reps in practice we think as an organization both those guys really came on. We're not into comparing them but we think both (quarterbacks) have done a nice job this season even though they haven't played in a game."

2-60, Pat Lee, CB, Auburn: "Got hurt, which is a shame, but we like what we've seen. When he's been in the games we thought he's played pretty well. He's done a pretty nice job on special teams. I think he's got a chance to be (a starter), sure. Going from college corner to NFL corner is a little different deal but I thought he did OK. In practice, sometimes you think maybe he's a little behind the curve. But you put him in the game and he seemed to play much better. You've got to learn alignments and how to play splits. I think he's tough enough.

3-91, Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas: "We think Jermichael has tons of talent. He's got excellent hands. We feel he's got lots of room to get better. Athletically, he's fine. He's still learning the game a little bit. We knew what we were getting. We knew we were getting a kid that wants to be a good player, is very athletic, has remarkable hands. The question I guess would be is how soon you can put all that together. He's still a work in progress, but he's gotten a lot better this year. His attitude and toughness are good. He's actually done a nice job on special teams. I don't sense frustration (from the coaches). Sometimes when you're playing with young kids things don't always go like you planned."

4-102, Jeremy Thompson, DE, Wake Forest: "He's had some good moments in games and had some other moments not so good. We think he's got a good future. He's been hampered a little bit with nicks but he's tried to suck it up and play through them. The more he learns the game and the speed of the NFL, I think he could be a potential pass-rushing guy. He's got that kind of talent. He can play all the downs. He's an athletic guy. He's a little different than some of the guys we've got in terms of some of the things he can do with his flexibility. I think he can play. We're kind of glad we've got him."

4-135, Josh Sitton, G, Central Florida: "We like him. He's a big guy that knows how to play big. He's played in some games and done OK. I don't think the game's too big for him. He can stand over there and all of a sudden he has to go in a game. He just puts his helmet on and goes in and plays. Doesn't seem like he's all that nervous about it. He appears to have confidence in his ability to play the game. I certainly don't micro-manage that much but nobody's come to me and said anything like that (he should lose weight). We like guys that can move and stay on their feet, and he can do that. In terms of how big he is, big's OK with us."

5-150, Breno Giacomini, T, Louisville: "We think he's got a bright future. We've had him at right tackle but I think he has a little versatility to play on the other side. His improvement during the season has come from understanding the techniques our (coaches) teach. Talking to them, he has really improved. He's a tough guy. As guys mature, especially in the offensive line, they generally put on a little weight. But 300-plus pounds is pretty good. I'm not good predicting stuff for guys. But I know we're very glad we have him. He studies and tries to get better every day. That's a good trait."

7-209, Matt Flynn, QB, Louisiana State: "He's done a nice job learning the offense and getting ready to play. He's pretty good but we thought he was pretty good in college. Every time he played he did a nice job at LSU. I think he has a chance to be a pretty solid quarterback. I don't know if it's a No. 2 or what. He's got plenty of arm strength. But he has to play in games to know for sure."

7-217, Brett Swain, WR, San Diego State: "He's a kid that has worked hard all year. We think we've seen some improvement. We think he's got a future. He's quick and he's got speed and a pretty good feel for space."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
TOPackerFan
15 years ago
Wow, so Ted Thompson likes all of his draft picks from last year. I'm shocked.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
longtimefan
15 years ago

Wow, so Ted Thompson likes all of his draft picks from last year. I'm shocked.

"TOPackerFan" wrote:

If you read closer, there are some he says he likes and some he just says good stuff about them 😉
dhazer
15 years ago

Round 2, 36th pick, Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State: "He does what we thought he could do. He's good after the catch. We think he catches the ball very good. We think he can assert himself down the field. There's a lot of guys to throw to in that receiver bunch so there's only so many balls to go around. We think he'll become even a better player. It wouldn't surprise me a bit (if he became a starter)."

"pack93z" wrote:

This strikes me wrong and with Ted Thompson and his youth movement makes me wonder if maybe DD is on the trading block? It wouldn't surprise me at all. I was thinking that when i read the Al Harris comments about not expecting to be in GB next year.

One thing i don't understand is all the praise for Ted Thompson because his draft picks become starters or are on the team, well if he is getting rid of all the vets doesn't that kind of seem like you have to keep the players on the roster?

Just wondering if anyone else has looked at it that way.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
15 years ago

[quote="pack93z"]

"dhazer" wrote:

I don't think there is any possibility of a DD trade. Ted Thompson would use all the fans if he traded away Donald Driver the year after he traded Brett.
blank
Fred
15 years ago
Wow.

I guess the Ted Thompson plan is to be really competitive in the year 2020.

I guess everyone's ok with this, and if you are, why are you ok with it?
blank
Stevetarded
15 years ago

Wow.

I guess the Ted Thompson plan is to be really competitive in the year 2020.

I guess everyone's ok with this, and if you are, why are you ok with it?

"Fred" wrote:

What are you talking about? The article is his evaluation of this years draft picks. Where do you get your idea of being competitive in 2020 out of this article?
blank
Fred
15 years ago
No reason, really. Except the fact that the guy doesn't seem to be in a particular hurry to put together a winning team, imo.

But if that doesn't bother you, I guess it doesn't bother you.

It bothers me though.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago
I see your points Fred I am so damn tired of hearing building for the future BS or we are the youngest team. To me these are like built in excuses for Ted Thompson IMO
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

No reason, really. Except the fact that the guy doesn't seem to be in a particular hurry to put together a winning team, imo.

But if that doesn't bother you, I guess it doesn't bother you.

It bothers me though.

"Fred" wrote:

I was all aboard the lets rebuild our core roster, etc moves, but now we have a solid core. We need those superstar players on our roster to put us over the top. Superstar might not be the right word or phrase, we need a big gun, we need another Charles Woodson type signing.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders