nerdmann
3 years ago

PFF GB Packers @PFF_Packers -Among draft eligible CBs, Eric Stokes had the highest man coverage grade during his career (89.3) at Georgia

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah, saying he's just a track guy is very disingenuous. His physicality and football IQ are prominent in the scouting reports.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Super fast but can't tackle. Eh. Kind of typical for a lot of CBs.
Ok pick. Fits a desperate need. King will begin the season as the starter but Stokes will take over the gig before the playoffs. As the CB2 he should work out fine. He's better in zone than man but GB plays zone so not so much of an issue. Some of his weaknesses will be mitigated by coaching.
With his speed and (hopefully) elusiveness, might see him return punts.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I don't know how accurate the information in this tweet it. Here it is anyway.

UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago

PFF GB Packers @PFF_Packers -Among draft eligible CBs, Eric Stokes had the highest man coverage grade during his career (89.3) at Georgia

Yeah, part of that is probably because they ran zone coverage so dang often that man coverage was a surprise change up for the offense and because of his pure speed. I think he would of been lit up more if they ran it more often.

But this defense does like mixing it up and throwing change up between Cover 2 and Cover 3 for sure... then some also like to mix in Cover 1 and Tampa 2.

So we need verstility in out DBs and he has that, plus the new defensive coach kept talking about slot guys and the ability for guys to be in the slot and to my surprise it sounds like Stokes has some experience in the slot as well. So I think he could be replacing Sullivan more than King this year with Stokes or Alexander in the slot.

I don't know how accurate the information in this tweet it. Here it is anyway.

Hmm 🤔 Is he talking about the right Georgia CB? I could of swore I've read about not missing tackles about Georgia CB Campbell.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
3 years ago
Here's another thing. Dude went up against top competition. He's seen it. Been thrre done that. Dude held up against the best.

Gutey 

– On tape vs. top competition: “We probably watched the Alabama tape this year more than (the rest)…with those cats they had running around. We always start with the best competition. So when you’re watching a corner you immediately go to the high-powered offenses and receivers and there was none better than Alabama this year. Spent a lot of time on that. Certainly LSU’s offense last year. Spent a lot of time there. I’ve seen those games more than I wanted to.”

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
3 years ago
Bukowski confirms  Stokes played at 185-195 lbs last year.

I had him downgraded, because my info was 175 lbs. That appears to be from a previous season in college. So i inaccurately downgraded him to the middle of the 2nd. This pick is not a reach imo.
beast
3 years ago

Here's another thing. Dude went up against top competition. He's seen it. Been thrre done that. Dude held up against the best.

Gutey 

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Based on that Gute quote, he's watched him directly against the Vikings successful 1st round WR from last year...

Interesting, guess they'll get to pick up where they left off.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
draft analysts on CB Eric Stokes 

Dane Brugler, The Athletic (draft guide): “A two-year starter at Georgia, Stokes lined up at right cornerback in head coach Kirby Smart’s 3-3-5 base scheme, seeing time inside and outside. After moving to cornerback as a senior in high school, he quickly adapted to the position in the SEC, impressing the coaches with his ability to apply coaching and trust his skill set. Stokes enjoyed his best season in 2020 with four interceptions and allowing only 38.5% completions when targeted. Stokes has elite NFL play speed and won’t lose many foot races. He uses body control, patience and footwork to stay square and in phase. While his competitiveness downfield is a positive trait, he panics at times and needs to be more subtle with his contact (nine penalties in college). Overall, Stokes must correct his play recognition and transition flaws, but his size, speed and promising ball awareness are undeniable and scheme-versatile traits that will help him compete for starting reps early in his NFL career.”

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com: “Stokes is a size/speed cornerback with good ball skills. He flashes a one-hand jam to re-route in press coverage, but he’s a little rigid when he has to open up and turn/run. He has plenty of recovery speed if he’s beat off the line. He has good eyes to key/read and drive on the ball in off coverage. He is very aware in the deep third, showing the ability to find and play the ball. He isn’t a smooth/fluid mover, but he is very explosive in a straight line. He’s an effective blitzer with timing and burst to close. He is a reliable tackler in space, as well. Overall, Stokes has some tightness, but I love his size/speed combination. He has a chance to develop into a solid starter at the next level.”

Lance Zierlein, NFL.com: Depending upon scheme, need or preference, Stokes offers teams the potential to play him outside or from the slot. Speed and quickness should allow him to stay with route runners or within close-out distance when he gets behind. Stokes played with better press technique in 2020 and he’s willing to get physical near the goal line, but his play strength is below average. While there have been mild flashes of playmaking potential, he’s more likely to play the receiver rather than attacking the football and looking for takeaways. He’s twitchy in tight quarters with the potential to become more disruptive in zone. His size, speed and athleticism could make him a Day 2 pick as a future CB3, but his weakness as a run defender will be challenged quickly by NFL offenses.

Mike Renner, Pro Football Focus (draft guide): “One thing is for sure: Georgia is going to miss Stokes in its secondary. He’s been easily the most consistent corner in the SEC outside of Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II over the past three seasons. In 2020, Stokes had five full games where he allowed fewer than 10 yards. He goes about his business very quietly and rarely gives opponents clean opportunities. He’s no stranger to college football’s lack of an illegal contact penalty, though, and does a lot of his dirty work via contacting receivers. He might struggle transitioning to the NFL when that’s not the case.”

Jordan Reid, The Draft Network: “From 2019 to 2020, Eric Stokes has certainly improved at being more opportunistic with regards to securing turnovers. He can mirror from a press position, but he can afford to clean up his technique—particularly his eye discipline in man coverage and getting “grabby” at the top of the route. He has shown the ability to play in man or zone from a press and occasional off position, but he does not play to his high-level timed speed with his play. He’s not a dynamic closer at the top of the route and lacks elite short-area, stop-and-start agility. His skill set may be best suited in a predominantly zone situation where he can play with vision and utilize his ball skills to make plays.”

Bleacher Report Scouting Department: “Stokes is a speedy, cover first corner. Playing in the SEC, he has the speed to run with most receivers he came up against. He is able to mirror and stay in receivers’ hip pockets; though at times he struggled to drop his hips when open in full stride. He has shown the vision and awareness needed in zone coverage. He will need to improve his physicality in the run game. Even with his open-field tackling being a bit of a concern at times, he is able to hold his own and get the ball-carrier down for the most part. With the potential to be an NFL starter, Stokes will need to sure up his consistency.”

Mark Schofield, Touchdown Wire: “If an experienced cornerback who played at a high level in the SEC and is ready to handle a variety of coverage responsibilities in the NFL sounds like your cup of tea, then Stokes might be the player for you. He is a schematically-diverse cornerback with man coverage skills, including from press alignments, as well as the ability to handle zone coverages without panicking or bailing out of his drop early in the down. He is very patient in press alignment, waiting for the receiver to make his move before firing out his hands to get into the receiver’s body. A perfect example of this comes from his game against Florida, where he was aligned in press down near the goal line and prevented a touchdown on a slant route. He is physical off the line, and if you remember Malcolm Butler’s interception at the end of Super Bowl XLIX you might also remember what Brandon Browner did on that play, driving into the receiver off the snap. Stokes did the exact same thing on a similar design against the Gators this year.”
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
SI ran a nice story  on him before the draft.

Few people knew about Stokes on the early morning car rides to school from the housing authority in Covington, Ga., where Stokes would tell his assistant football coach and track coach, Frankey Iverson, that he needed to figure out some way—any way—to get grandma out of this place (he plans on using his first paycheck to buy her a house).

A coach from Ole Miss recommended switching the kid from running back, where he’d been living out his juke-happy boyhood Reggie Bush fantasy, to cornerback. He went to Georgia Tech to watch the Yellow Jackets play Florida State and glued himself to Derwin James and Jalen Ramsey, selling himself on the position and the plan to make it out of Georgia.

“We’ve had some fast kids, but, he’s … lightyears ahead,” Iverson said. “We always feel like speed is speed. If you’re fast on a track, you’re fast on a football field. The difference with Eric is that he’s so competitive. Eric has a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality. Off the football field, he’s the warmest and sweetest kid. When it’s competition time, I don’t even recognize him.”

“The film speaks for itself,” Stokes said. “Every year, historically, I’ve faced supposedly the best historical offense each year. In 2018, Alabama. Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, that was a nasty offense and I believe I did my thing. In 2019, [LSU]. Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson. I did my thing again.

“This year, I did decent against DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle. I played my best against some of the best.”

According to Pro Football Focus' premium college stats, over three years when matched up against a horde of first-round picks from Alabama and LSU (Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Devonta Smith, Henry Ruggs and Jaylen Waddle) Stokes allowed a total of seven catches on 11 targets for two touchdowns. The longest completion against any of those players was 23 yards.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
Draft Grades on Packers Central  

Where would we be without getting the annual "F" or two?

The Draft Network’s Ryan Fowler gave the Packers a B-minus.
Yahoo!’s Eric Edholm gave the Packers a C-minus.
NFL.com’s Chad Reuter gave the Packers an A-minus.
Bleacher Report’s Brent Sobleski gave the Packers an F.
The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia gave the Packers a C.
The Sporting News’ Vinnie Iyer gave the Packers a B-minus.
USA Today’s Luke Easterling gave the Packers a C-minus.
Pro Football Network’s AJ Schulte gave the Packers a B.
The Ringer’s Danny Kelly gave the Packers a C.
FoxSports.com’s Rob Rang gave the Packers a C-plus.
Football Outsiders’ Mike Tanier gave the Packers a B.

Follow the link to get more details.

The irony is year after year so called experts give teams grades on there perception of what happened a few hours ago. Even though they KNOW it takes a few years to evaluate a pick. Not just for GB. All teams. All players. Sometimes it was the right choice. Other times not. It is really comical. I have yet to read one expert tell us he got it wrong. By the time we get to next year, the past has been forgotten and the writer is clairvoyant and omnipotent again.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
I agree WPR!
The only draft “experts” we will here from down the line are the ones that guessed right.
The others just ignore what they said about the kids and move on to the next story.
I have learned more about Stokes on this site then anywhere else. Truth is, before last night I never even heard of him.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (23h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (23h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

56m / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.