MintBaconDrivel
2 years ago

Marquez Valdes-Scantling is starting his fourth NFL season in 2021 and the former South Florida star is at a crossroads in his career. In three years, he has proven he can use his speed to be a dangerous deep threat. But he has yet to find the consistency he needs to become a top-notch number two receiver in the NFL. This year at training camp, MVS has shown signs that he may be ready to take a big leap forward.

Last season was the best of Valdes-Scantling’s career so far. He led the league (among qualified receivers) with a 20.9-yard average per catch. He also scored six touchdowns, more than the four he caught in his first two NFL campaigns combined. He also had 690 receiving yards, a new career best.

Valdes-Scantling showed he was one of the league’s best deep threats. With his elite speed, he was able to beat almost any corner downfield to create big plays. Four of his six touchdowns were on long passes including scores of 45, 52, 72 and 78 yards.

But despite these accomplishments, MVS still struggled with consistency. His catch percentage was just 52.4 percent. While that was his career best, it was still a far cry from where you want a receiver to be. By comparison, Allen Lazard had a catch percentage of 71.7 percent while Davante Adams was at 77.2 percent. Running back Aaron Jones had a catch percentage of 74.3 percent while tight end Robert Tonyan had an impressive 88.1 percent catch percentage.

According to Pro-Football-Reference.com, Valdes-Scantling dropped seven passes last season or roughly one of every nine passes thrown his way. That was the second highest drop total out of all the receivers who were targeted at least 60 times in 2020. The Packers need to see more consistency and fewer drops from MVS if he is to become a more consistent pass catcher. He also needs to be more precise with his routes.

There were positive signs in the postseason. In the Packers two playoff games, Valdes-Scanting caught eight total passes and had 115 yards and a touchdown in the NFC Championship Game against the Buccaneers. The touchdown came on a 50-yard strike from Aaron Rodgers that tied the game at 7-7 early in the second quarter.

In training camp this season, MVS seems to be getting more consistent. Packers wide receivers coach Jason Vrable has been pleased with what MVS has done so far this summer.

“People were talking about that the other day,” Vrable told reporters. “They’re like, ‘Man, I almost feel like he hasn’t dropped a ball.’ We always keep track of drops, but with him, I think it’s just confidence in our system and confidence in himself.”

Vrable added, “He’s just really confident right now, he’s playing at a high level. He’s in attack mode at all times. Typically, when you’re confident, you trust yourself. Things just start going in the direction that you want and that’s what I see with him. He’s worked at a lot of things that he wanted to get better at as opposed to pushing those away. He’s bought into the saying, ‘Whatever my weakness was, I’m going to make it my strength,’ and he’s bought into that type of coaching. He’s done a great job. I’m really pleased with him.”

The Packers are hoping MVS takes his game to the next level this season. Many Packers fans may recall that Davante Adams also struggled early in his career. In his first two seasons, Adams had catch percentages of 57.6 and 53.2. He had issues with consistency, running precise routes and holding on to the football. Many fans were ready to right Adams off as a bust.

But in 2016, Adams’ catch percentage went up by nearly 10 percent over the previous season. He caught 75 passes for 997 yards and 12 touchdowns and established himself as one of the team’s best and most reliable pass catchers. A year later, he made the first of what are so far four straight Pro Bowl appearances.

Obviously, MVS may never become as consistent as Adams who is now considered by many to be the best receiver in the NFL. But if Valdes-Scantling can become more consistent while remaining a dangerous deep threat, he can take his game to another level and give the Packers a more dangerous weapon opposite Adams.

If Valdes-Scantling can become more consistent and add a set of short and medium patterns to his route tree, he can give the Packers a higher level WR2 opposite Adams and an even better receiving corps than the one they had in 2020. He can also take his own career to the next level and establish himself as a bona fide starting wide receiver in the NFL.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

There has been a lot of good things being said about 83.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Davante agrees.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Probably can't resign everyone... Adams, MVS and Tonyan are all FAs... hell, might only be able to sign one with our tight cap.

Also Lazard and Funchess are FAs too... which is why I think the Packers could potentially be playing Funchess more to shop him like they did CB Jackson. And Lazard is an RFA, which might be cheaper for one more year.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

Probably can't resign everyone... Adams, MVS and Tonyan are all FAs... hell, might only be able to sign one with our tight cap.

Also Lazard and Funchess are FAs too... which is why I think the Packers could potentially be playing Funchess more to shop him like they did CB Jackson. And Lazard is an RFA, which might be cheaper for one more year.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Let Davante walk. He won't be worth "best in the league" money after he turns 30. Remember, a year too early, not a year too late.

Agreed on Funchess. It's redundant to have both him and Lazard. And 6 TEs lol.

MVS is a huge wildcard. He reminds me of Donald Driver the way he came in raw and is perfecting his craft. Not to jinx him but he could really become a weapon. I liked his route running down the stretch late last uear.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
2 years ago
Suggested trade... if the articles about the Jets seriously be ready to give up on WR Denzel Mims are true (I don't know they are)...

Then we can trade Funchess (who's ready to play now) for Mims (who's under contract for cheap for two years longer than Funchess, but might never develop). Heck we can probably throw in St. Brown as well.

It could be a win all around, as Funchess and St. Brown will get more playing time with the Jets. Jets will get guys that can play in the NFL, and Packers get a developmental program to go with Cobb and Rodgers as the only WRs currently signed up for 2022 season.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (20h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.