KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
Dillon Graff wrote

Why the Packers should let Davante Adams walk after the season
by Dillon Graff

I’d like to first start things out by acknowledging this isn’t going to be a popular take. Davante Adams is the best receiver in football and among the best to ever suit up for the Green Bay Packers.

Davante is beloved by many, myself included, which makes this such a difficult point to make. However, this is about more than talent, and more than production – it’s about money.

Davante Adams has made no secret about wanting to become the highest paid receiver in the NFL, and he should be – just not by Green Bay. As it stands, Adams is the 15th highest paid wide receiver and yet that has turned out to be a massive bargain for this front office.

Unfortunately, in an effort to go all in this season, the Packers find themselves in salary-cap hell moving forward – to the tune of nearly $50 million over the cap before the off-season even begins. This all but ensures that the front office is going to have to make some difficult decisions in regards to some of the team’s most decorated players, possibly even Davante Adams.

So before you chastise me, at least hear out my rationale for why the Packers would benefit from letting Adams walk after the season.

Reasons not to pay the best receiver in football
[list]

• Davante Adams hasn’t played a full 16-game season in the last four years
  • The Packers are 6-0 in games Adams has sat out the last two years and averaged more than 30 points per game (I’m not insinuating the Packers are better without him, because they aren’t – simply stating a fact)
  • In the last decade, the team that has employed the highest paid receiver in the NFL has only posted a record over .500 one time (Julio Jones – 2016 Atlanta Falcons)
  • To take it a step further, the team that has employed the highest paid receiver hasn’t won the Super Bowl since 2008 (Marvin Harrison – Colts)[/list]Even though Adams is undoubtedly in the prime of his career (28 years old), during the lifetime of this contract he’s searching for, it’s likely the team will be getting a lesser version of the player that they have today.

• The Packers’ contracts given out over the years have been relative to the player they expected them to become, not for what they’ve already done. The bottom line is, it just doesn’t pay to shell out top dollar to wide receivers, especially when they’re going to have so many other positions with significant needs.

The Packers have proven under Coach LaFleur that a receiver room full of players that play specific roles can produce in his offense. The Packers have just one receiver signed beyond this year (I’m not counting Randall Cobb because he’ll be a cap casualty in the off-season).

In an obvious transition year for the Packers, it gives them a chance to re-tool and possibly move forward with some cheaper extensions like MVS or Allen Lazard and pursue a much more cost-effective option via the draft.

As much as it breaks my heart to say, it just might not make financial sense for the Packers to commit top dollar to Davante as they prepare for a transition year in 2022. Just be thankful for everything he’s given the Packers and prepare for the very real possibility of wishing him well in the off-season.

I would be surprised if Rodgers, Adams, or Z Smith were on the 2022-23 roster.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    beast
    2 years ago
    The first question is do you release, trade or resign Rodgers... yes he absolutely has one year left but the Packers can't reasonably get under the cap with the contract as is. So first thing first is what do you do with Rodgers?

If Rodgers is resigned, then you do everything in your power to get Adams back (franchise tag or long term contract are options).

If Rodgers isn't resigned, then how is the chemistry between Love and Adams? Because Love certainly isn't going to get as much out of Adams as Rodgers did. And the Packers might even want to consider franchise tagging Adams and offering whatever team that wants Rodgers as a package deal.

Which if Rodgers (or Adams) is traded, he (they) absolutely has some say in where he (they) go as they have to resign long term deals... or it isn't worth it to whomever is trading for them... and at least the rumors had it, that Rodgers wanted to West to be closer to his Wife and offseason location in California and both Rodgers and Adams are from California. And the other West team that really needs a franchise QB right now is the Broncos. Which they have a number of interesting pieces that might interest the Packers (younger WR/TE)/ defensive players playing in the scheme we're trying to copy.

Also if Rodgers is traded got to get rid of Cobb, and Preston Smith contract needs adjusted, not sure about Z, depends on his injury.

But If Rodgers agrees to long term deals with the Packers, I think their is the slim chance that Gute can keep the majority of the band together and keep going after the Super Bowl, though it might be Adams vs MVS and Tonyan decision, as there would be no extra cap space left over for all three of them. And no outside FAs unless extremely cheap because we're so over the cap, that Rodgers contract would have to be set up to be extremely low on cap in year 1 and we'd barely make it.
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    2 years ago
    They will find a way to work out a deal. He won't get $27 mil a year but he will get top dollar.
    UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    2 years ago
    Tag him (or sign him) and trade him. He's too expensive and he's gonna be wrong side of 30.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    Fan Shout
    beast (6h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (7h) : damn those vikings
    beast (7h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (7h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (7h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (14h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (15h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (15h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
    wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
    Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
    Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
    Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.