WhiskeySam
15 years ago

I must say, WhiskeySam, that I am impressed with your in-depth analysis and I can do nothing to impeach your arguments or conclusions. I would argue, however, that when and how a quarterback throws interceptions has more of an effect than the raw number of interceptions alone. For example, both Marino and Favre, who enjoyed extraordinary regular season success, have a history of monumental breakdowns in the playoffs, and consequently, neither has attained any remarkable level of postseason success (Marino had no Superbowl victories and Favre had one). I would be curious to see your response to this article , entitled "The Lord of Postseason Stats," which addresses the issue of interceptions and their impact on playoff success.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I think it's being biased to say Marino and Favre did not attain postseason success. That statement is based upon their teams' performance which is not always indicative of their performance. Favre's TD% in the playoffs was 5.4, and his INT% was 3.8%. Both numbers are higher than his regular season career averages. The quality of defenses faced increases in the postseason. That his INT% is up is not surprising, but that his TD% also increased indicates he wasn't just a regular season wonder. Marino's numbers do, in fact get worse in both TD% and INT%. If you remember those Dolphins teams, though, this shouldn't surprise you. They were one-dimensional teams that couldn't run the football. No one objectively thought those were championsip caliber teams. Again, tougher defenses in the postseason aren't going to allow a one-dimensional offense dominate them.

For every Philly or Giants game that Favre gets blamed for losing, there's a Lions Wild Card game or Super Bowl performance he gets credited for winning. Too often the win-loss record is hung on a QB, especially in the playoffs, regardless of how the QB played. Winning championships is an indication of a balanced team. Although QB play is an important factor, it's not the only factor in a team's postseason success. Favre had one of his best games in the Denver Super Bowl, but the Packers lost because the defense couldn't stop Terrell Davis. Conversely, Namath is remembered as being a winner...even though he only made the postseason twice. What were his postseason stats? 3 TDs, 4 INTs exactly like his career numbers of 173 TDs and 220 INTs. He had one good game, beating the Raiders with 3 TDs and 1 INT to get to Super Bowl III. The following year, his Jets lost in the first round with him throwing 3 INTs and 0 TDs. Namath was a crappy QB with a loud mouth whose largest claim to fame was not throwing a TD or INT in the Super Bowl he played in. The Jets' defense gets no credit for forcing 4 turnovers or Matt Snell rushing for 121 yards and the game's only TD.

The article is slanted because it doesn't account for why Marino was throwing interceptions. His team was one-dimenstional, and as such was playing from behind a lot. When you have a team playing from behind, they take chances because let's face it, whether you lose by 1 point or 50 points you're done if you lose in the playoffs. Citing Phil Simms didn't help their argument. The Giants won the second Super Bowl because Norwood missed the FG that started Buffalo's curse. Aside from that, Simms didn't even play in that game. Jeff Hostetler was the starter. That article looked at one number, built an entire argument around, and failed to look at anything else. They'd have a stronger argument if they had looked into whether the INTs were the turning points in the game or whether they came as the team was playing from behind getting desperate.

If we want to roll rings on the table, Bart Starr is the best QB ever, and I don't see anyone making that argument. Starr was great, don't get me wrong. I see a lot of parallels between him and Brady. Low draft pick, not highly regarded early on. Great defenses, great coaches, and perfect fits for what they were asked to do. Both Hall of Fame QBs. But I think as far as pure passers go, they're trumped by Manning, Unitas, etc. The latter were better pure passers whose teams were not as loaded. That's why I don't think it's accurate to base team success in a team game on one player. There were 52 other men on the Dolphins, but only Marino is the one hung with the "never won a title" label, and that's unfair.
Nemo me impune lacessit
WhiskeySam
15 years ago

Interesting analysis. I would be curious to see you back up your last statement with some statistics. How does Favre's TD-pass percentage stack up against the all-time greats? It might be prudent to examine as well a couple of the current touchdown machines, most notably Peyton Manning.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I agree with this. But I still haven't seen Aaron bring us back. But yes I do agree, he protects the ball much better than Brett.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

That is true, but how much of that is a factor of Rodgers' ability versus the fact the league as a whole protects the ball better? This year's league average of 2.8 INTs per attempt is lower than Favre's career average, but that has more to do with passing offenses focusing on shorter, high-percentage passes designed to eliminate turnovers. It's why you shouldn't take one statistic and build an entire argument around it without factoring in as much other data as possible.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.