wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
Time is running out. More than likely they will wait until they are forced to make a decision.

Dairyland link 

The Green Bay Packers have been without their All-Pro cornerback Jaire Alexander since Week 4 against Pittsburgh when he injured his AC joint. Surgery ultimately would have ended Alexander’s season, so instead, Green Bay was patient and wanted to see if the injury would heal on its own–which apparently, to some degree, it has. Alexander, who is still on IR, came back to practice on December 8th and has participated in every practice since then. This return opened a three-week window for the Packers to elevate him to the 53-man roster.

Well, that 21-day window is coming to a close this Wednesday, and the Packers have two options. They can either place Alexander on the 53-man roster or keep him on IR, but doing so will effectively end his season.
Now, if Alexander is elevated, that doesn’t necessarily mean that he will be on the field this Sunday against Minnesota –although wouldn’t that be nice with Justin Jefferson coming to Lambeau Field — he just has to be placed on the 53-man roster. Green Bay faced a similar situation with David Bakhtiari coming off the PUP list in which he either needed to be added to the roster or shut down for the remainder of the season. As we all know, Bakhtiari has been on the 53 despite not yet suiting up for a game.

Although the Green Bay Packers have been without one of the league’s best cornerbacks, their pass defense has held up very well with the emergence of Eric Stokes and the midseason addition of Rasul Douglas. All of this has been a very pleasant surprise, as coming into the season, the cornerback depth was my biggest concern.

In Joe Barry’s defense where he utilizes lightboxes and a cover-2 shell, all of which provides some additional help to the corners, Green Bay is allowing only 6.1 yards per pass attempt this season, which ranks fourth in football. Also, the 216.0 total passing yards per game they’ve given up ranks 10th.

Stokes has been targeted 87 times, according to PFF ($$), allowing a completion rate of only 51.7 percent and 11.9 yards per catch. He also has one interception and nine pass breakups–tied for the ninth most among cornerbacks this season.

Douglas, meanwhile, has been just as, if not more effective, logging a 53.4 percent completion rate on 58 targets. He has surrendered only 9.9 yards per catch with five pass breakups, and Douglas leads the team in interceptions with five–two of which went for touchdowns.

Upon Alexander’s hopeful return, the Green Bay Packers will have some decisions to make in the secondary. Do they go with Alexander and Stokes on the boundary? Or perhaps Alexander and Douglas? Or maybe they keep Stokes and Douglas out wide and move Alexander to the slot?

Regardless of what they choose, and my guess is that it will change week to week based on the opponent and the matchup, this is a very good problem to have.

Over the last handful of games, this Green Bay defense has been trending downward, allowing 28.8 points per game during that span. While there is more than one reason behind their recent struggles, having Alexander back in the mix will certainly help turn things around–let’s just hope his shoulder is healed and he gets the opportunity to.

In four games this season, Alexander was targeted 19 times, giving up 11 receptions for 12.1 yards with a pass breakup, an interception, and a passer rating of 92.7 when thrown at per PFF.

“I don’t get caught in the hype of players,” said Alexander via Forbes. “I think the first battle starts within and it starts with myself. If I focus on myself more, I will ultimately be able to win (against) my opponent because I’ll know what I need to do. Being able just to sit around all week or all day, even, and just know what I have to do and know where I need to improve and know where my strengths are, that allows me to be dominant with no hesitation.”

Stokes wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
So, he'll probably be activated, but not active on Game Day. Bummer.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago

So, he'll probably be activated, but not active on Game Day. Bummer.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

yep. Probably send Shawn Davis back to the PS and let Jaire ride the pines.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago
At this point I'm just hoping he'll be back for the playoffs.
blank
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

At this point I'm just hoping he'll be back for the playoffs.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

It feels bogus to even think this, but should we hope he's back? Is a rusty Jaire who's dinged up better than Eric Stokes and/or Rasul Douglas? Or do we ask ourselves is said Jaire better than Kevin King? My initial thinking is if he's active, he's going to start though.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago

It feels bogus to even think this, but should we hope he's back? Is a rusty Jaire who's dinged up better than Eric Stokes and/or Rasul Douglas? Or do we ask ourselves is said Jaire better than Kevin King? My initial thinking is if he's active, he's going to start though.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah, that's a good point. It would be great to get him at least a few series in the Lions game to see where he is before the playoffs. But yes, I think a rusty Jaire Alexander at 85% or so is probably better than Kevin King, certainly better than Chandon Sullivan. Keeping Stokes and Douglas at outside corner and putting Alexander in the slot, and having King as the dime back would seem to be a very good lineup, on paper at least.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago

Yeah, that's a good point. It would be great to get him at least a few series in the Lions game to see where he is before the playoffs. But yes, I think a rusty Jaire Alexander at 85% or so is probably better than Kevin King, certainly better than Chandon Sullivan. Keeping Stokes and Douglas at outside corner and putting Alexander in the slot, and having King as the dime back would seem to be a very good lineup, on paper at least.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Right. King has moved over to Safety and is the dime back. He took over for Black. Let him cover the TE. He should be able to keep up with him.

Jaire will take Sullivan's spot in the slot. Stokes and Douglas keep doing what they are doing.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Well it's hard tracking the 53 man roster with the Covid list, but the Packers should have an open spot after putting LB Summers and WR Taylor on the IR.

So I think Alexander should be on the 53, even if he's not ready to play.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Reading on the Tweeter that Packers WILL activate Jaire today. I doubt anyone is surprised, but that's the rumor.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago
It had to be done if he's going to play in the Super Bowl.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (3h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (19h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (19h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (22h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.