beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
This is the story some announcers we're talking about, Nelson tough love on Adams, and sounds like Adams is now realizing tough love is the right approach, though maybe not Nelson's old school version of it.

Note: I didn't copy the entire article, because the systems are making it difficult, to copy and paste and I got a huge chunk of it, plus hopefully you can just go read it should you want to read the end.

Fueled by tough love (not hate), Davante Adams morphs into Jordy Nelson

GREEN BAY — Jordy Nelson has been a lot of things to Davante Adams over the years.

Teammate. Mentor. Friend. Hater.

Wait, hater?

Yep. At least if you ask Adams

Adams enters the Green Bay Packers’ regular-season finale against the Detroit Lions having caught 117 passes for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns — meaning he needs 22 yards to break Nelson’s franchise single-season receiving yardage record of 1,519 set in 2014, when Adams was a rookie.

And Adams does so believing that, upon his arrival as a second-round pick from Fresno State, Nelson, the team’s No. 1 receiver and quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ established go-to guy, hated him.

“I don’t know if he’s told you guys, but he’s told me multiple times: He thought I didn’t like him, that I hated him, that I didn’t want him there,” Nelson recounted during an interview on ESPN Wisconsin earlier this season. “But I was just hard on him.”

As you might guess, Adams remembers that time a bit differently.

“No, he hated me,” Adams replied, smirking, when told of Nelson’s comments. “Well, I take it back. Jordy didn’t hate me (specifically). But he hated rookies.

“I came in mouth shut, quiet, just coming in and doing my thing. I never thought I knew everything. He told me I thought I knew everything, but I literally didn’t even speak in the meetings. I think he was just trying to justify his being mean to me.”

That eventually changed, of course, as Nelson saw Adams grow and improve. But Adams never forgot.

That eventually changed, of course, as Nelson saw Adams grow and improve. But Adams never forgot.

“When I called him out about it — I didn’t say anything until we were best friends by that point — I just told him that I didn’t appreciate that. And that I thought he hated me. He said that that wasn’t the case. He said it was just rookies. (He said), ‘You thought you knew everything coming in.’ But he was just making stuff up at that point.

“For everybody out there, Jordy did hate me when I first got here. But now I couldn’t ask for a better friend. So, we’re good.”

On Sunday at Ford Field, Adams can get back at his friend by breaking his record. And if Nelson wants to cite the NFL’s first 17-game season as being the reason Adams breaks it — assuming he plays, as coach Matt LaFleur insisted throughout the week that he and Rodgers will — it’s worth pointing out that Adams missed the Packers’ Oct. 28 win at Arizona while sidelined with COVID-19, despite being vaccinated.

“It’s been impressive,” Nelson said. “Talk about a guy who’s grown over (time). This is Year 8 for him now. From a guy who came in very young, obviously very explosive and very talented, but just needed to fine-tune everything and become that professional where it was week-in and week-out, every practice, every game.

“The confidence and mindset that he obviously now has is that, no matter who it is across from him, they have no chance. And it might be two or three guys and they still don’t have a chance sometimes.”

Strong leader
What might be just as impressive about Adams, in talking with LaFleur, Rodgers, wide receivers coach Jason Vrable, offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett and wideout Allen Lazard, is Adams’ evolution as a leader.

Because for as good as Adams has been in recent years — after his 11 receptions for 136 yards and a touchdown in last Sunday’s win over the Minnesota Vikings, no one in the NFL has caught more passes (575) for more yards (7,137) and more touchdowns (69) since the start of the 2016 season than Adams — somewhere during that time, the 29-year-old morphed into the grumpy old man he claims Nelson was to him.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/fueled-by-tough-love-not-hate-davante-adams-morphs-into-jordy-nelson/article_7b9a95d2-1c6b-5f33-8a9b-14702d4097a6.html  wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
Exactly how huge is the chick? Inquiring minds want to know.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
2 years ago

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (13h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (13h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (13h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (14h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (16h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (21h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (21h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.