Zero2Cool
2 years ago

@TomSilverstein → Maurice Drayton will not return as #Packers special teams coordinator, a source said. Story to come shortly.

There were many mistakes on special teams, but front office never got Mo Drayton a long-snapper, returner or veteran cast of players and must share blame. The long-snapper issue proved devastating in the playoff game.

Some good news on your Tuesday afternoon. I also agree with what Tom said. Unless we have a change in how we value Special Teams as an organization, it will never matter who the coordinator is.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

Some good news on your Tuesday afternoon. I also agree with what Tom said. Unless we have a change in how we value Special Teams as an organization, it will never matter who the coordinator is.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Absolutely, the long snapper issue is ridiculous and I think you can put that blame directly on Gute.

2018, Gute first year as a GM, the Packers signed LS Zach Triner at the end of the 2017 year... but in the 2018 draft Gute used a 7th rounder on LS Hunter Bradley.

Bradley was more athletic, but by all accounts, Triner out snapped Bradley. And the Packers went with Bradley, with reports later coming out that the ST coach wanted Triner, but Gute out ruled him.

And Triner went on to sign with the Buccaneers and has but with them ever since, so he now does have a Super Bowl ring.

But I never remember seeing a team have so many issues with blocking off the edges like this year... I don't follow STs, but, what were we doing differently that all other teams seemed to get right but we didn't?

Also, I'm extremely used to backup Safeties having extremely huge roles on STs, as they're normally more athletic than everyone but WRs and CBs, but usually more physical than WRs and CBs. Our 4th and 5th string Safeties we're basically healthy scratches all year. I mean, maybe those guys aren't the best at STs, but again, that feels so odd to me.

Also, the Packers are focused on large WRs, well, for returners, usually small explosive WRs do best. And while I like WR Amari Rodgers (though I thought they reached to draft him), he's not the most explosive, he's more smooth clean route runner.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
I will not disagree with beast. It would be foolish to do so.

Some of it may be Gute's fault. The last decent LS in GB was Brett Goode. At least the last consistent one. It must be a little difficult finding a decent one. So many teams struggle.

Here's one sites  list:

Long Snapper
Don’t disrespect the long snappers. Here is my first look at the best long snappers in the 2022 NFL draft:

Cal Adomitis, Pittsburgh
Damon Johnson, USC
Cameron Kaye, Troy
Erik Dickerson, Arizona State
Billy Taylor, Rutgers
John Taylor, Duke
Keegan Markgraf, Utah

It came out in April 2021

Another  list is more current but most of the names are different.

1 Cal Adomitis Pittsburgh
2 Daniel Cantrell Boise State
16 Caleb Cantrell Texas-San Antonio
999 John Aloma California-Davis
999 John Berard Maryland
999 Preston Brady Memphis
999 Conrad Brake Towson
999 Danny Caracciolo Virginia

My guess is the 999 players are not very good.

What upsets me about Mo I that I listened to a podcast where a HS coach predicted blocked punts and FG attempts based on how the offense lined up. He talked about what they had to do differently to protect against his happening. Other teams do have this issue. Matter of fact most defenses sit back and don't even try to block most PATs and FGs because it is so rare to do so. Not when playing GB. That's coaching.
How is it possible to have only 10 men on the field? Doesn't the ST captain count them? Isn't there someone up in the booth counting? The ST team coach has about 15 plays a game. Shouldn't he or one of his assistants be counting? You would think he would have one extra guy standing by his side, JUST IN CASE something happens. That's on the coach.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
I’m getting so tired of our STs sucking. The team works so hard all season to win the division, and get home field for the playoffs, only to have the STs implode, costing us the game.
That said, our offense did us no favors after the first drive. They deserve a lot of the blame as well.
I’m not sad to see the ST coach gone. But they ALSO need to get guys that can make plays on STs. The coach can only work with what he has.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

I will not disagree with beast. It would be foolish to do so.

Some of it may be Gute's fault. The last decent LS in GB was Brett Goode. At least the last consistent one. It must be a little difficult finding a decent one. So many teams struggle.

Here's one sites  list:

It came out in April 2021

Another  list is more current but most of the names are different.

My guess is the 999 players are not very good.

What upsets me about Mo I that I listened to a podcast where a HS coach predicted blocked punts and FG attempts based on how the offense lined up. He talked about what they had to do differently to protect against his happening. Other teams do have this issue. Matter of fact most defenses sit back and don't even try to block most PATs and FGs because it is so rare to do so. Not when playing GB. That's coaching.
How is it possible to have only 10 men on the field? Doesn't the ST captain count them? Isn't there someone up in the booth counting? The ST team coach has about 15 plays a game. Shouldn't he or one of his assistants be counting? You would think he would have one extra guy standing by his side, JUST IN CASE something happens. That's on the coach.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The bit about the high school coach, you mean stuff like this?

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
Exactly Mucky. Kuhn played a lot of ST in his day so he knows. My point using a HS coach as an example is even guys who have not advanced up the food chain of coaching recognize the problem. Not only was he a HS coach, he was the jv coach at that. I've posted a couple of his youtube videos in the past. Coach Hawn. He's down a lot on the Packers even though he is not a GB fan. He's interesting.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (8h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (10h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (12h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (12h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (13h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.