beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
Part of Brian Flores lawsuit against the Dolphins states he was offered an additional $100,000 per loss as the owner was trying to tank for the #1 QB.

Former Browns head coach Hue Jackson stated he was also paid additional amount of money to tank. And some organization connected to him, claimed they had proof of the payments.

1) How do you feel about teams tanking I'm general? (Tanking = Losing on Purpose) Is it a fair part of the game, or is it dirty?

2) How do you feel about them paying additional money for it?

3) Should the NFL do something about it to try to stop it? If so what? And should the Dolphins and Browns owners be punished? What about other teams (such as the Eagles, whom were winning, and then suddenly put in their 3rd string QB and suddenly kept turning the ball over).

4) Technically, offering to pay money for someone to lose is illegal due to gambling rules, so technically the owner making these offers is illegal. Though the laws were more made for people betting on the games, the owners are still paying money to gain a benefit they otherwise might not have. Should law enforcement go after them (assuming there is decent proof).

5) Any other thoughts or comments on this?
UserPostedImage
2 years ago
What an interesting Question/Subject!!!!

Tanking really does destroy the integrity of the game...and I am sure the gamblers don't care for it either (unless they know about it of course)

Perhaps they could do a lottery type system in regard to WHEN in the season the draft order is set. For example, after the season they draw a ball out of the hopper (ala lotto) with balls numbered weeks 8 through 17. If you sucked at week 8, you just suck and probably deserve a high draft pick. But, you might still have incentive to play well.

That way teams would not have an incentive at week 12 and beyond to 'tank it' if they are out of (or likely to be out of) the playoff picture

TANKS for bringing up the discussion point!!! 🙂
Go Packers!!!!
dhazer
2 years ago

What an interesting Question/Subject!!!!

Tanking really does destroy the integrity of the game...and I am sure the gamblers don't care for it either (unless they know about it of course)

Perhaps they could do a lottery type system in regard to WHEN in the season the draft order is set. For example, after the season they draw a ball out of the hopper (ala lotto) with balls numbered weeks 8 through 17. If you sucked at week 8, you just suck and probably deserve a high draft pick. But, you might still have incentive to play well.

That way teams would not have an incentive at week 12 and beyond to 'tank it' if they are out of (or likely to be out of) the playoff picture

TANKS for bringing up the discussion point!!! :-)

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Teams have been tanking for years to get the higher draft pick, I remember the Colts did it twice once for Peyton Manning and then again for Luck. And apparently, the Browns must really suck at doing things because their coach couldn't even tank enough to get the 1st draft pick lol.

But as you bring up I kind of agree with, I like the lottery style but why not make it like the NBA and take the 10 worse teams and they all get a chance at the #1 but make them all equal amount of balls so it would eliminate the idea of tanking for more balls. I think that would help eliminate it but I can still see a team with the 11 worst record tanking the last 2 games to try and get to 10th worst.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
If they do a lottery type system, then I don't want it to be a ton of teams. Maybe say the bottom 5 teams?

Which this year would be all the teams with less than 5 wins; Jaguars, Lions, Texans, Jets and Giants.

Or maybe just say all the teams will less than 5 wins get into the lottery?

In 2021 that would be 5 teams.
2020: 6 teams
2019: 4 teams
2018: 4 teams
2017: 4 teams
2016: 5 teams

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Did Hue Jackson say that or suggest it?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Did Hue Jackson say that or suggest it?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33202029/hue-jackson-accuses-cleveland-browns-paying-tank-2016-17 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33202029/hue-jackson-accuses-cleveland-browns-paying-tank-2016-17

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yikes. I was scoping out the Tweeter and people were saying he was suggesting it, not explicitly saying it.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Part of Brian Flores lawsuit against the Dolphins states he was offered an additional $100,000 per loss as the owner was trying to tank for the #1 QB.

Former Browns head coach Hue Jackson stated he was also paid additional amount of money to tank. And some organization connected to him, claimed they had proof of the payments.

1) How do you feel about teams tanking I'm general? (Tanking = Losing on Purpose) Is it a fair part of the game, or is it dirty?

2) How do you feel about them paying additional money for it?

3) Should the NFL do something about it to try to stop it? If so what? And should the Dolphins and Browns owners be punished? What about other teams (such as the Eagles, whom were winning, and then suddenly put in their 3rd string QB and suddenly kept turning the ball over).

4) Technically, offering to pay money for someone to lose is illegal due to gambling rules, so technically the owner making these offers is illegal. Though the laws were more made for people betting on the games, the owners are still paying money to gain a benefit they otherwise might not have. Should law enforcement go after them (assuming there is decent proof).

5) Any other thoughts or comments on this?

Originally Posted by: beast 

What do I feel about tanking? Well, let me sum up my feelings with a quote from a man in whom we all respect in these parts.

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
It is more difficult to tank in the NFL than it is in the NBA. 11/22 players in the game vs 5. Tanking using requires the assistance of the QB. The very person you are wanting to replace. Even average QBs are excellent athletes and it's possible for them to throw the team on their back and drag them down field to victory.

If the NFL takes the last 5 or 6 teams and does a lottery, I don't think it would hurt. They have dumber rules than this. The NBA weighted lottery is a little different. Once again only 5 players and getting the very best in a draft can and will improve their record the next season. Getting the best QB won't if the OL is horrible, they have no WR at all or their defense is outrageously poor.

Granted the coach can put the backup QB in the game but the other players are still trying to keep their jobs too. The line will block to the bet of their ability. The RB is going to run. Subbing out one or two players isn't exactly throwing the game. Even when the OC calls a terrible play, the QB can change it at the line.

The worst 5 this year are
NYG
NYJ
Texas
Detroit
Jax
there is one game separating them. Carolina has one more win. Do they try to throw a game or two to get into the Forgetful 5? Who knows. The bares were only 2 wins away. The GM and HC were laying for their lives. No way do they want to throw games. They lost their jobs anyway. Which can and was the same for other bottom teams. Coaches won't want to try and lose unless they are in the first year of their contract. Then again more than a few have lost their job after only one year. Packers canned Ray Rhodes after only one season.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Well.....if he’s going to sue for that, he better have actual proof that he was being told to tank on purpose. Otherwise it’s just his word against the owners.
Being a NFL coach can be a tankless job.🤪
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (2h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (2h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (2h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (3h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.