MintBaconDrivel
2 years ago

The Packers defense was a roller coaster ride during the 2021 season. It shutout the Seahawks and shut down the 49ers in the playoffs and Chiefs in the regular season. Outside of those three performances it was average to bad most of the time. With the level of talent the team is expected to have [...]

Bring in Rod Marinelli
Play More Man Coverage
Use College Concepts like the Mint Front
Some Timely Blitzes

Continue Reading @ PackersTalk 

PackersTalk wrote:

What are your thoughts?
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
2 years ago
I have a novel idea.
Get better players!!!!
2 years ago
- Cut Lowry and Lancaster.
- Use that money and hopefully from cutting Z Smith and other restructuring to sign either Akeem Hicks or Fletcher Cox
- Have a better offensive line with can run the ball and control the TOP and keep the defense fresh
Go Packers!!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
Playing more man defense if a puzzler. It's been a few weeks ago but I thought I read that PFF graded the Packers out as being pretty good with their zone coverage. Better than their grade in man. In reality they don't actually do all of one or the other. Some are in zone. Some are in man on every single play. Don't want to be predictable or the offense will exploit it.

Just whose place is Marinelli going to take? Is he actually better? Since he was let go by the bares after the 2012 season he has mainly been a defensive line coach with a couple of forays as a DC but only for a year or two. If he was worth taking someone else would do so. Last couple of seasons he's been with the Raiders. I don't recall their DL being top shelf but perhaps they are. He was in Dallas from 14-19 as the DC and D Line coach. He was adequate but not overwhelming.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Pretty sure Rod Marinelli is retiring.

I have a novel idea.
Get better players!!!!

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Packers have some pretty damn good players on defense, but what positions do you think need improving?

S → Adrian Amos is solid, but Darnell Savage hasn't proggresed like I hoped.
CB → If we have Jaire Alexander, Rasul Douglas and Eric Stokes that is a stud trio there.
LB → Outside of Rashan Gary, it's kind of empty. Do get Whitney Mercilus back? Preston Smith hasn't had good back-to-back seasons. ZaDarius Smith is going to be released (my assumption) due to salary cap issues.
DL → Kenny Clark is good and I really like TJ Slaton.

Improving S and LB will improve the defense. Probably the special teams too. I'm comfortable with the CB position and if they don't add anyone other than a depth guy on the DL, I would be ok there too.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Pretty sure Rod Marinelli is retiring.

Packers have some pretty damn good players on defense, but what positions do you think need improving?

CB → If we have Jaire Alexander, Rasul Douglas and Eric Stokes that is a stud trio there.
LB → Outside of Rashan Gary, it's kind of empty. Do get Whitney Mercilus back? Preston Smith hasn't had good back-to-back seasons. ZaDarius Smith is going to be released (my assumption) due to salary cap issues.

Improving S and LB will improve the defense. Probably the special teams too. I'm comfortable with the CB position and if they don't add anyone other than a depth guy on the DL, I would be ok there too.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Dude is about 100. (72) Schemes have passed him by.

Even so he would come back to play with Rodgers. I mean coach him. I mean coach the Rodger's led defense. I mean coach the Green Bay Rodgers if Aaron asked him to. 😉

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
2 years ago
DL, Edge , ILB, safety in my opinion.
Hopefully guys that can play special teams as well.
beast
2 years ago
Here are my thoughts on the ideas..

1) Bring in Rod Marinelli
I really like the idea of bringing in a senior advisors every now and then, so on that front I like this idea.

But having family and friends around isn't always nessarily a good thing, and can be a distraction. And Marinelli has been a position coach or higher since 1973... how will he that to being just an advisor after having five decades of more hands on experience and control?

I would prefer we brought in Vic Fangio, whom basically updated this defensive system to what we see today and everyone is trying to copy, but sounds like the 49ers might be bringing in Fangio as an advisor... which is interesting, seeing as the 49ers don't run this defensive system, but the Rams do.

2) Play More Man Coverage
Crazy idea is right! Yes, let's bring in a new system, that was successful, and then STOP running that successful system!

I have to say I find this idea to be pure stupidity. I get the concept, the Packers have Stokes, Alexander and Savage whom can certainly do well in man coverage and changing it up to surprise the offense can be smart, and freeing up a Safety could also seriously help out.

BUT... the basics of the current coverage scheme is to keep mixing it up between different zone schemes that match we'll together and make it hard for the offense to read until after the snap, not running any one scheme more than 40%... mixing between cover 2 and cover 4 a lot, some cover 3 and Tampa 2 mixed in. So they're already mixing it up keeping the offense guessing (and yes you can and I think they do, throw some surprise man coverage in, but it's rare).

Also while Alexander and Stokes are athletic enough to keep up with anyone, they're struggled more in one on one than in zone, so whole they can be good in man, they're even better in zone.

Also, they stated keeping King and getting rid of Douglas... umm, do I even have to say it?

And finally, almost the entire NFL has gotten away from man coverage as the college spread system have come more to the NFL and man beater routes have straight up killed the heavy man coverage system off.

The entire NFL has gone to heavy zone systems for a reason. And trust me, I seriously miss the old heavy man coverage systems, I loved them, it was a lot more straight one on one, who's better. But the spread concepts and more athletes staying at WR instead of switching over to DB in college has all hurt man coverage.

3) Use College Concepts like the Mint Front
This concept appears based on the idea the Packers are getting rid of the Smith Brothers and now going to have two decent edge rushers, which I think that assumption is bad, as would Gute really leave the team hanging like that? Especially when this draft class seems loaded with edge rushers at the first 50 picks or so....

That being said, I think I've already noticed the Packers doing their version of this... but instead of the a DT replacing an Edge Rusher (because you don't get rid of an edge rusher in a passing league)... they had a 3rd DT replace an ILB... and so it was basically a 5-2 defensive look, or 5-1 if they had the slot guy out there. But the 3-4 DEs were on the inside of the OTs.

Also remember the Packers were supposedly going to run a lot of 3 OLBers sets, then OLBers injuries happened and that had to scrap that and then they went to 3 DTs. I think they were planning to use Za'Darius or Gary pass rushing the Center of the DL as that's what they did, with Burks as an edge rusher, for a little while, but moved away from it after a while to the three DL look.

I don't think the Packers have the right personnel for this, but another college system that I found interesting is the 3-3 defense system. Which the Panthers have run some of, and Rodgers talked about how it confused them as an offense when they first saw it.

So, since I think they're already doing their own better version of it, I don't think counts as a new idea to improve the defense.

Some Timely Blitzes
Again, he's using that bad assumptions that Gute isn't going to have good edge rushers other than Gary, that assumption seems bad.

But yes, absolutely, I totally agree with this one... and one great article I read during the season talked about one issue with Joe Berry play calling, is that he always sticks extremely close to the scheme... which while part of the scheme is switching up the coverage calls, can make the scheme very predictable.

What the article talked about, was that it didn't matter if we're playing Patrick Mahomes or rookie Justin Fields, Berry was keeping those Safeties back and playing it extremely conservative on the back end, despite mixing it up. Which against a well oiled pass machine offense can make sense... but against struggling offenses, especially a QB that can run, why not be a bit more aggressive and give the QB less time and space to read it and figure it out?

Against the Bears and Ravens mobile backup QBs (Justin Fields was a backup this season), both the Bears and Ravens put up 30 points partly because the QBs ran 70+ yards on us.

I'm theory, not playing conservative all the time can get you burned more often, but playing conservatively all the times also makes you predictable.

Against some weaker passing attacks is the perfect time to try being a bit more aggressive and showing something different, to catch them off guard and if nothing else, put it on tape and make more study work for future teams.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The 3rd Safeties gets on the field a good bit and the Packers options for 3rd Safety are bad.

Also, I can't stop wondering if Savage best position might be that nickel/dime role, where he'll get more trail coverage, which I think is his strength, and allow him to be used in more ways (surprise blitz)... but the Packers don't have the Safety talent to try him there.

Slaton has nice potential, but he fell to the 5th because he hasn't quite lived up to his potential. I got hope he can develop, but it certainly shouldn't be assumed he'll love up to his potential yet. Packers need another guy or two there anyways, with Keke being released and Lancaster a FA, and Lowry in a contract year.

I think Gute is going to make such we have two good edge rushers.

ILBer is an interesting question mark.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 years ago

- Cut Lowry and Lancaster.
- Use that money and hopefully from cutting Z Smith and other restructuring to sign either Akeem Hicks or Fletcher Cox
- Have a better offensive line with can run the ball and control the TOP and keep the defense fresh

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Or get rid of the QB that wont stick with the run game.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (8h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (9h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (12h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (12h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (12h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.