Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

The Green Bay Packers face an interesting dilemma heading into the 2022 season. It concerns the future of Pro Bowl offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins. Because he suffered a season-ending knee injury in November, it is unlikely Jenkins will be ready to start the 2022 campaign on time. But when he does return, do the Packers insert him into the lineup at tackle or a guard?
Jenkins is one of the most versatile offensive linemen in the NFL today. He can play all five positions along the line at a very high level. In college, he played center, guard and tackle during his career. His strong play at Mississippi State led the Packers to draft him in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft.
Jenkins came close to winning the starting right guard position in training camp as a rookie but was barely beaten out by veteran Lane Taylor. When Taylor suffered a season-ending injury in Week 1, Jenkins stepped in and started for the rest of his rookie campaign.
In 2020, Jenkins won Pro Bowl honors for his strong play at left guard. He demonstrated the ability to run and pass block well and had the speed and agility to get to the second level.
In 2021, Jenkins again proved his versatility. With David Bakhtiari out of the lineup because of a knee injury he suffered late in 2020, Jenkins shifted to left tackle and took over the job of protecting Aaron Rodgers’ blind side.
Despite the position switch, Jenkins continued to play at a very high level. He suffered an ankle injury that cost him three games early in the season but played eight games in total before suffering a season-ending knee injury in the Packers Week 11 game against the Minnesota Vikings.
So, now the question is, when Jenkins is ready to return to the lineup, where do the Packers put him? Do they return him to left guard alongside Bakhtiari who is expected to return to his customary left tackle position? If they do, that will give the Packers two Pro Bowl players on the left side of their offensive line and if both are healthy and return to form, could give the team one of the best duos in the league on the left side.
If Jenkins returns to left guard, then Jon Runyan, Jr. and Royce Newman would likely fight to see who will stay in the starting lineup at right guard with the other player giving the Packers depth along the interior offensive line.
The alternative is to move Jenkins to right tackle where Yosh Nijman will likely compete with an early round draft pick to see who the opening day starter will be after the Packers let go last year’s starter, Billy Turner. Jenkins would strengthen the weaker right side of the offensive line and give the Packers two Pro Bowl offensive lineman at the offensive tackle position.
There is a downside to moving Jenkins to tackle, however. As a rule, tackles are paid more money than guards as the Packers and the rest of the league places a higher value on that position. Jenkins rookie contract expires at the end of the 2022 season. If the team determines that his future is at tackle rather than at guard, Jenkins will almost certainly ask for and will likely receive a bigger contract if the Packers are able to re-sign him for 2023.
Obviously, a lot of things can change the equation between now and the time Jenkins is ready to return to the lineup. He can be ahead of schedule or behind schedule. Other players along the offensive line could also suffer injuries which would make Jenkins’ versatility even more useful. For example, Jenkins may become the primary backup at center if Josh Myers misses significant time next season.
The other players along the offensive line could also exceed expectations or play poorly, changing the team’s need at any position. We also don’t know at this point when the team will add offensive linemen in the draft and how many they will add. If the Packers select an offensive tackle with one of their early picks, they may be more inclined to project Jenkins’ long-term future at guard.
Either way, this is a major decision for the Packers coaching staff and front office. Through three seasons, Jenkins has proven himself to a be a very valuable and talented player who can help the team at a variety of positions. Keeping him in the fold and maximizing that ability is the next task for the Packers organization.

Continue Reading@CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

I say RT and roll with Bakh-Runyan-Myers-Newman-Jenkins if everyone is healthy. I also think that any idea of playing Jenkins at guard in hopes of keeping his price tag down is a foolish notion. As long as Jenkins agent isn't a complete moron, he's going to use Jenkins time at LT as a starting point for any contract negotiations because other teams in the league will pony up.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
2 years ago
Considering I think he's going to start the year on the PUP list and miss at least the first 6 games, he should play wherever we need him, as someone might be injured by then.

As for where should we play him if everyone is healthy, he's said he feels most comfortable at LG and all the wide zone teams have invested heavily into their LG with an expensive FA or top two round LG, so they must feel the LG is extremely important I'm the wide zone scheme, so I'd think about keeping him there if everyone is healthy.

I like how Nijman played more than I liked Newman play, though Newman was only a rookie so he potentially could get a lot better.

But if everyone is healthy, I'd be looking at Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman.

But I'd also be adding one or two more OL and at least one of those would be an OT if not both.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
There are a couple of questions in this story. First is were do WE think he should play. That is open for discussion. The second is where WILL he play. We don't know and won't know until after the draft and after the late FA signing period is over.

If the Packers use one of their 1st or 2nd round picks on a OL, it will impact where they see Jenkins playing. If they trade up and grab Evan Neal OT chances are great Jenkins is back at guard. Because of his injury the Packers will be able to sit back and evaluate Runyan and Newman (Even Neal for that matter.) then slip Jenkins into the position with the weakest link. Unless of course they push JRJ from left guard to right guard.

On the other hand if they take someone like Zion Johnson in the 2nd they probably want Jenkins to be their long term RT.

Personally I would like to know how successful Newman is in his second year. It's kind of early to give up on him. 4th round picks don't always become elite lineman but enough of them have done so to merit a second look.

I see Nijman as a steady backup not a long term starter. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing Jake Hansen or Cole Van Lanen are in the lineup either. Packers need depth. Taking a couple of OL in the draft is a pretty good idea.

My guess is GB will draft a OG and Jenkins is going to end up at RT.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago
G
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (45m) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (48m) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (49m) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (1h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (12h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (13h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (14h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (14h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.