Zero2Cool
15 years ago

GM acknowledges subpar season but isn't planning drastic moves

Ted Thompson was careful not to say the 6-10 Green Bay Packers of 2008 were nearly as good as their 13-3 team from 2007. He pointed to those records as proof.

But the teams general manager also suggested the franchises foundation is strong and the team is headed on the right course to become a championship contender as early as next season.

Thompson rarely reveals his true thoughts about his teams strengths and weaknesses and his plans to address them, but he gave at least a hint in a phone interview Tuesday. When asked whether he thinks he needs to make significant personnel changes in the offseason to return to contender status, he in effect said the Packers are not as far from being as good as they were in 2007 than their 6-10 record might suggest.

Collectively, you could sense it in our locker room after our win the other day (against Detroit) and in the building, we feel like we could have been better, Thompson said. We all feel like we should have had more wins. So well work on it and see if we can get to the bottom of it and try to get better.

Thompson also suggested that while hes open to signing free agents to try to fill weak spots, hell not embark on a radically different course than he has in his four previous years as GM. Thompson never has been a major player in free agency, though in 2006 he signed Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett to deals that included a combined $17 million in first-year pay.

Woodson and fellow cornerback Al Harris publicly lobbied for Thompson to hit free agency harder this year than in the past, and the play of the Packers defensive line all but necessitates signing a couple of players to upgrade the defense. But Thompson gave no indication hell depart from his philosophy of not getting involved in the bidding for the most coveted and expensive players on the open market.

I dont know that its any more (urgent) than any other year, Thompson said. Its an avenue, free agency.

The biggest immediate issue with the Packers is whether any assistant coaches, namely defensive coordinator Bob Sanders and special teams coach Mike Stock, will be fired this week. Though Thompson said thats coach Mike McCarthys call, its a given throughout the NFL that GMs who have control over football operations, as Thompson does, can make changes in two ways: either by exercising hard power and ordering a coach to fire an assistant, or using soft power by strongly suggesting the move.

When asked if he thought there should be any changes on the coaching staff, Thompson said: Thats not my bailiwick.

Thompson also addressed several other issues regarding the 08 season and next year:

# When asked whether he made the right move by trading Brett Favre to keep Aaron Rodgers the starter at quarterback after Favre decided last summer he wanted to play this season, Thompson said: Im not going to touch that. I will say this, I thought Aaron played very well and I thought he was a good teammate and a good player for us this year. Im not going to touch the comparison.

Thompson wouldnt proclaim Rodgers being the teams franchise quarterback for a period of at least six to 10 years, though the seven-year contract he signed Rodgers to on Nov. 1 that included $20 million in guarantees answered that question.

Six to 10 years, who knows? Thompson said. Were very happy with Aaron.

# Thompson said there are the resources and players available to significantly upgrade his defensive line, and he at least didnt deny the line was a problem position group this season.

I dont know if you ever have enough defensive linemen, he said. Certainly losing a guy like (end-tackle) Cullen Jenkins early in the season was a pretty good hit because of the different things he brings to the table, his ability to play inside, play outside, create pressure, that sort of thing. Weve always looked at it that you never have enough big guys.

Thompson also said the combination of losses on the defensive line his trade of Corey Williams, season-ending pectoral injury to Jenkins in Week 4 and ineffective play by defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila that led to his release were major factors in the decline in the Packers pass rush and ability to stop the run.

KGB was different this year. He never really did quite get over the (knee) injuries, Thompson said. We said all along Corey Williams is a good player. I dont regret what we did (trading him), but thats another piece in the machine.

Thompson traded Williams to Cleveland for a second-round draft pick last offseason after designating him the teams franchise player. Thompson had no plans to invest long term in Williams, who had 14 sacks in 2006 and 07 combined, because of concerns his work ethic would slip after receiving a major payday.

When asked if he made the right call on that deal, which yielded quarterback Brian Brohm in the draft, Thompson said: I think so. I think it was the best thing for him and for us. Allowed him to get a secure future and big contract and all that.

# Thompson wouldnt say what else specifically caused the defenses failures to come through in the clutch, and to cause the drop from ranking No. 11 in yards allowed and tied for No. 6 in points allowed in 2007 to Nos. 20 and 22, respectively, this season.

Sometimes you can try too hard. If youre missing one little piece, then something else goes wrong, he said. Its sort of like you have a sprained ankle on the right side of your body, then sometimes the left side of your body gets out of whack because its compensating for it. We played hard throughout, which Im very proud of, and we just didnt get off the field as much as we (needed). We had a tremendous amount of turnovers and that cant be overstated, its very important. There were several times over the course of the season where interceptions and runbacks for touchdowns were the reason we won the game.

# Thompson in effect conceded he erred by replacing punter Jon Ryan with Derrick Frost the week of the regular-season opener. Thompson wouldnt say whether the decision was driven by the front office or the coaching staff.

We looked at it, all of us did at the same time, he said. We were looking for more consistency, and we didnt get that.

# Though halfback Ryan Grants average per carry took a huge drop from 5.1 yards a carry in 2007 to 3.9 yards this season, Thompson said Grant will be the Packers primary back next season.

Yeah, Im sure he is, Thompson said.

UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
he is so frustrating to hear speak...

so damn secretive
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Ted being Ted. lol. If he plans on diving head first into free agency, or coaching changes, or the trade market, there's no way he's gonna let people know that. Ted loves to play hard-to-get. he's a major tease.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
double post
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
I think the best thing that can be said from the article is that Ted is taking responsibility that he made some bad decisions. Especially regarding pinning so much on the return of KGB to past form after surgery.

He keeps things pretty close to his chest, he isn't going to rant in the press.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
longtimefan
15 years ago
I know he does that its just AGGGGRRGGGG

I want him to stop being a tease.,...

Its like in high school with your g/f all over again
bozz_2006
15 years ago
not my g/f. HEY-O!
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
Interesting reading but this part struck me funny.

When asked whether he thinks he needs to make significant personnel changes in the offseason to return to contender status, he in effect said the Packers are not as far from being as good as they were in 2007 than their 6-10 record might suggest.

Collectively, you could sense it in our locker room after our win the other day (against Detroit) and in the building, we feel like we could have been better, Thompson said.

Are you fricken kidding me you could sense they were close to being as good as the 2007 team by beating a 0-16 team. That actually made me laugh. Maybe that was Ted trying his hand at some comedy. But i do give him credit on admitting to some of his mistakes maybe he will mention Bustin next time.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
i guess i took that quote along with what Chuck said. it was something along the lines of "we won and we were supposed to win, so whatever." so the way i took ted's quote was something like not feeling the normal good feeling when winning because they knew it didn't mean crap. they felt like they were good enough to make the playoffs, but didn't. so, they felt like they could have been better. that's not necessarily a good feeling, more like an empty feeling.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.