Zero2Cool
15 years ago

General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy have a lot of soul searching to do following a 6-10 season, but theres at least one move they made in 2008 that needs no apology.

The Green Bay Packers controversial decision to go with Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback over Brett Favre was not only gutsy in the face of a firestorm of fan protest, but absolutely the right choice.

The verdict has been handed down, and it wasnt even close.

Rodgers, 25, has proven himself as more than just a capable starting NFL quarterback, ranking among the top 10 in the league in several key categories.

The 39-year-old Favre, meanwhile, looked washed up as the season wore on and led the league in interceptions.

Theres no question Rodgers has much to prove, and his inability to lead the Packers to a victory in eight games decided late in the fourth quarter this season will be held against him. But any objective observer knows the Packers suffered from some glaring flaws, and Rodgers wasnt one of them.

Rodgers posted eye-popping numbers for a first-year starter. He ranked fourth in the NFL in passing yards (4,038), fourth in touchdown passes (28) and sixth in quarterback rating (93.8). He battled through a shoulder injury and played all 16 games, added a new dimension to the offense with his running ability, and displayed mental toughness in dealing with the pressure of replacing Favre.

Rodgers is intelligent, possesses the right mix of confidence and humility, and by every account is admired as a teammate. It would have been a travesty if someone as good as Rodgers spent a fourth consecutive season on the bench. Rodgers deserved to be an NFL starter, and he proved it on the field.

Thompson and McCarthy recognized Rodgers potential and should be praised for finding and developing such a talented quarterback to follow the legendary Favre. Instead, ardent Favre supporters who are clinging to yesterdays headlines have unfairly ridiculed them.

This season proved beyond a doubt that Favre violated his own motto, verbalized often in recent years, about not wanting to hang around too long. He joins a long list of professional sports stars that overstayed their welcome. His wretched performance over the final five games, in which he threw two touchdown passes and nine interceptions, was a sad spectacle.

It brought back painful memories of Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath ending their quarterback careers wearing strange uniforms and looking like shadows of their former selves.

Anyone attempting to trot out the injury excuse Favre reportedly tore the biceps tendon in his right arm must explain why he didnt take himself out of any games if he wasnt physically able to perform.

To further add to Favres woes, some of his Jets teammates arent exactly rushing to his defense. Running back Thomas Jones told Newsday this week that Favre should have been benched during a three-interception debacle in the season finale against the Miami Dolphins.

According to FoxSports.com, Favre reportedly spent a lot of time during the season in a private office near the equipment room rather than in the locker room.

That is strikingly similar to the situation in Green Bay during his final years here. Is it any wonder Thompson and McCarthy were ready to move forward? No player, even someone with Favres resume, should be greater than the team.

Thompsons biggest mistake in handling the messy Favre divorce last summer was that he allowed it to drag into training camp, incorrectly assuming Favre would stay retired.

As it turned out, Thompson was right to trade Favre instead of letting him battle for the starting job with Rodgers, who was the better quarterback this season and would have beaten Favre out.

Anyone who remembers aging Hall of Famer Ray Nitschke getting benched by the Packers in the early 1970s knows how ugly that was. The benching of Favre in Green Bay would have been far more divisive than seeing him play in a Jets uniform.

Choosing Rodgers over Favre couldnt have been easy, considering all Favre has meant to the Packers organization during a terrific 16-year career, but its something Thompson and McCarthy knew in their hearts had to be done.

When I asked McCarthy at his season-ending press conference on Wednesday about that decision, he didnt hesitate with a response.

Yes, I think we definitely made the right move at the quarterback position, McCarthy said.

The notion that Favre would have somehow elevated the Packers to a better record and perhaps a playoff berth is wishful thinking. This Packers season was doomed primarily by a downtrodden defense and shaky special teams play. Favres presence wouldnt have changed those shortcomings.

Twice Rodgers led the offense into field goal range for potential game-winning kicks in the fourth quarter, but Mason Crosby failed to deliver against Minnesota and Chicago.

Twice more the Rodgers-led offense gave the Packers late fourth-quarter leads, but the defense couldnt close the deal in losses to Carolina and Jacksonville.

As for the Favre mystique and leadership ability, thats overrated in the advanced stage of his career. If he couldnt will the Jets to victories in must-win situations against weak opponents like Seattle, San Francisco or Denver in the final month, what makes anyone believe he could have done it for the Packers?

There is no debate the Packers endured a miserable season, but their quarterback wasnt the problem. Rodgers gained a valuable year of experience and gives the Packers a top-flight talent for years to come at the most important position.

The time has come for those blinded by the brilliant light of Favres career in Green Bay to let go of the past and move on.

I think this is a really good article, however I disagree with some of the comments about Favre being washed up. I do agree that he somehow felt he was above the team with him dressing away from the team. That bothers me about him.

This is in the Packers section because I feel this is more geared towards the future of the Packers, not Brett Favre.

In this thread, let's focus on the comments about the direction of the Packers with Aaron Rodgers.

I liked reading the comments about the four drives late in the game that could have won us the game, but didn't because of our defense or kicker missing the FG.

Overall, decent article and hopefully this becomes a decent thread.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
15 years ago
What is lost by so many is this was not only was this Chico's first year, BUT he never really got experience snaps behind Brett in all his time on the bench. Not even when the team was up big or down big.

However, Arron has said.... And if he said it I believe it.... That he was blessed to learn from watching Brett.

We all can thank Brett for that, regardless of the fact Brett really never took him under his wing, Brett just by being H.O.F. Brett is still responsible for much of Aaron's success in his first year as a starter.

That is the way I like to look at it.

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
minnypacker
15 years ago
I hope Brett can now walk away. I fear that his legacy will be further tarnished not by the way he plays on the field, but how he has been playing off of it. It is too similar to the "distant" comments that came from some players this summer.

Brett is an icon, I hope he knows it is time to walk away. I hope he and the Packers mend fences so he can become the Bart Starr of the Packers for the next 20+ years.
4PackGirl
15 years ago
i agree zero - great article but i'm not convinced favre is washed up. the entire situation made me sad when it started & that sadness continues. i don't think things will be mended until he finally does decide to retire on his own terms & he honestly feels good about it. he absolutely is an icon & we were all fortunate to be able to watch him build his legacy.
longtimefan
15 years ago

I hope Brett can now walk away. I fear that his legacy will be further tarnished not by the way he plays on the field, but how he has been playing off of it. It is too similar to the "distant" comments that came from some players this summer.

Brett is an icon, I hope he knows it is time to walk away. I hope he and the Packers mend fences so he can become the Bart Starr of the Packers for the next 20+ years.

"minnypacker" wrote:

He will...

Mark Murphy has stated that the offer of marketing will still be on the table
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
As last season ended, I really hoped Brett would have returned and given it 1 more shot at the SB with the Pack. But once he announced his retirement, and was retired during the off season, I knew it was the correct move for the team to stick with Rodgers no matter what Rodgers did. They needed to see for sure what Rodgers could do before he was out of his rookie contract.

I think Brett can still play the game, but I think it has to be in the correct situation. throwing 500+ passes is not it anymore for him. He really needs to have the supporting cast around him.

I am really glad they did not let him go to the Vikings. I think if that had happened, MN would be the front runner for the SB right now.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
gbpfan
15 years ago
I'm glad A-rod had a great q.b to follow A-rod on his own has talent dont get me wrong,but he had a great mentor in brett,think he will be even better next year.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
The only thing that sickens me about this article is that Vandermause was one of the most outspoken critics of the Thompson administration all through the preseason and most of the regular season. At least he has the integrity to acknowledge the rectitude of the tough decisions Thompson had to make. Of course, he doesn't admit he was wrong, but how many sportswriters ever have the balls to do that?
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

As last season ended, I really hoped Brett would have returned and given it 1 more shot at the SB with the Pack. But once he announced his retirement, and was retired during the off season, I knew it was the correct move for the team to stick with Rodgers no matter what Rodgers did. They needed to see for sure what Rodgers could do before he was out of his rookie contract.

I think Brett can still play the game, but I think it has to be in the correct situation. throwing 500+ passes is not it anymore for him. He really needs to have the supporting cast around him.

I am really glad they did not let him go to the Vikings. I think if that had happened, MN would be the front runner for the SB right now.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

That's the thing. He needs to be on a run first team. I think the Jets could be it if they'd stick with the run and most importantly, work Leon Washington more into the game. Brett starts working Washington like the Eagles use Westbrook and the Jets are suddenly in the Playoffs in '09.

I did a post in the NFL section with some Washington stats and I'm convinced he's the most underutilized player in the NFL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
15 years ago
I hate to say it, but it is entirely possible that Favre IS washed up. What does "washed up" mean? It's not like suddenly the QB can't throw the ball farther than 12 yards and gets the yips on every pass. He had a disconnect with the NY team and he seemed not to be able to hold onto his edge the latter part of the season. Not to mention, you have to have a hunger to succeed in the NFL, and Favre has been saying for a while that he has nothing left to prove (with probably a temporary exception showing he can play decent for another team, which lasted a few games early 2008). In fact, ever since he started saying that, his "clutch" game performances have been pretty mediocre. I remember being kind of concerned when I heard those words coming out of my starting QB's mouth.

This is definitely not to rip on him. He has played in far more consecutive games than any QB to play in the NFL. He could just need to hang up the old cleats.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (5h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (7h) : damn those vikings
beast (7h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (7h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (7h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (7h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (14h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (15h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.