beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago
Conspiracy time: Goodell wanted something, 8 teams did not go with it, 6 of the 8 teams got two short week Thursday night games this year.

Only 1 of the 24 teams that agreed with Goodell got two short week Thursday night games.

If you follow the link, the NFL says it's mainly Thanksgiving games and popularity of those teams and wanting to put them in primetime games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/many-teams-that-opposed-thursday-flexing-got-two-short-week-games/ 

Commissioner Roger Goodell wanted to incorporate late-season flexing into the Thursday night package. He fell two votes short, for now. As a more-than-acceptable consolation prize, Goodell got the ability to assign teams to a maximum of two short-week, Sunday-to-Thursday games.

This season, seven teams will play on twice Thursday after playing on the prior Sunday: Steelers, Bears, Saints, Commanders, 49ers, Lions, and Packers. Of those seven teams, PFT has learned that at least six of them opposed late-season Thursday flexing.

Per various league sources, the Steelers, Bears, Saints, Commanders, Lions, and Packers opposed flexing on Thursday nights.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago
There is moe than one person involved with the scheduling process. Would would have leaked out if Goodell specifically sanctioned a vendetta. Add to this it takes a sophisticated computer program to smooth out all the nuances like shared stadiums. Too many travel dates. And so on.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
a year ago

There is moe than one person involved with the scheduling process. Would would have leaked out if Goodell specifically sanctioned a vendetta. Add to this it takes a sophisticated computer program to smooth out all the nuances like shared stadiums. Too many travel dates. And so on.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Those people want to keep their jobs too... if they leak it, they better be prepared to be fired. Just like NFL Network let Jim Trotter go after grilling Roger Goodell on lack of progress on promises he made.

Goodell is a politician, he would know how to word it properly to not be a vendetta.

And normally I'd agree with you... BUT ... 95.8% of the teams that agreed with him, did NOT get this... the likehood of something 100% random to get to 95.8% is extremely extremely rare...

Less than 68%, that absolutely could be random.
68% to 81.5% is questionable
81.5% to 95% is very suspicious
BUt more than 95%? There extremely little chance that's completely random. It's as likely as a meteorite falling into your bedroom (which actual happened to some guy), and no the kitchen, living room or bedroom do not count, must be the bedroom.

Though to be fair, the NFL is not claiming it was random. They're claiming the teams got the Thanksgiving games because of their National Appeal. Of course, that only applies to the teams playing on Thanksgiving which are the Lions, Packers, Commanders and 49ers.... which I think it's fair to say say Lions and Commanders absolutely do not have National appeal, but Lions always play on Thanksgiving.

And in the limited quotes I've seen, they didn't they to explain why the double for the non-thanksgiving teams in the Steelers, Bears and Saints.

And here is the kicker! These teams were the ones that voted down the Goodell request trying to help out Amazon Prime with Thursday Nights... so they get more Thursday Nights (I assume with Amazon Prime, other than Thanksgiving), so it's the perfect irony.

All this being said, the double Thursdays Night games is more of an annoyance, than a vendetta... as you get a short rest, followed by a long one... the real disadvantages are the difference in time compared to your opponents, and in these Twitter posts you can see the 49ers and Rams got screwed and the Bears lucked out.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
a year ago
Every year there are teams who claim they have been screwed over by The NFL.

Hell The Packers had the worst schedule that I can remember.

It is funny how The Packers refused the week 6 bye last year, and now this year Packers get the week 6 bye.

but the mini-bye after Thanksgiving helps this year.

I'm betting every fanbase has something to complain about.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Every year there are teams who claim they have been screwed over by The NFL.

Hell The Packers had the worst schedule that I can remember.

It is funny how The Packers refused the week 6 bye last year, and now this year Packers get the week 6 bye.

but the mini-bye after Thanksgiving helps this year.

I'm betting every fanbase has something to complain about.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Silly bucker, the Packers did not refuse the Week 6 BYE. The Packers elected to take a BYE later in the season vs one early in the season right after playing overseas. NFL teams have that option when playing overseas. 😀
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
a year ago

Silly bucker, the Packers did not refuse the Week 6 BYE. The Packers elected to take a BYE later in the season vs one early in the season right after playing overseas. NFL teams have that option when playing overseas. 😀

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Exactly, I was going comment along the same thing.

The NFL originally gave teams the bye week after their overseas games, teams didn't love that and complained.

The NFL has since given teams that play overseas the option to take their bye after the over seas game and most turn it down. So that's an option and nothing to be upset about.

Also buckeyepackfan entirely missed the main point, this was not a single team... but 25% of the league. And as I previously stated, it's more ironic than straight punishment, as their opponents get it too.

But forcing those teams to do more Thursday games, might make them desired to care more about the Thursday Night option that Goodell is pushing.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
a year ago

Which came first?
Chicken or the egg?

When you "elect" to take the week 14 bye, but were first offered the week 6 bye, what is the decision to not take the week 6 bye called? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I say the chicken came 1st!

No wait it was the egg!

Nevermind , I'll  get back to you
🤣🤣🤣

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
  • beast
a year ago

Which came first?
Chicken or the egg?

When you "elect" to take the week 14 bye, but were first offered the week 6 bye, what is the decision to not take the week 6 bye called? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

No wait it was the egg!

🤣🤣🤣

The egg came first. 

And it's called declining or electing not refusing.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Which came first?
Chicken or the egg?

No wait it was the egg!

🤣🤣🤣

You are acting like they refused a Week 6 BYE and that is not correct, I'm sorry.

Packers were presented with an OPTION. BYE after overseas game OR a BYE week later in the season. This really isn't that complicated. 

As for the topic at hand. The Commissioner can absolutely recommend certain things that get inputted into the schedule calculations. How he would go about doing what the original post claims would be some sneaky clever wording/phrasing though.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
11 months ago

As for the topic at hand. The Commissioner can absolutely recommend certain things that get inputted into the schedule calculations. How he would go about doing what the original post claims would be some sneaky clever wording/phrasing though.

Agreed and the Commissioner could of simply said make she these teams have at least one game with yahoo Thursday nights.

And four of them were already set up with Thanksgiving Thursday night which is without Yahoo, so they were needed to give a 4th one.

Also, possibly it wasn't Goodell at all, but someone else, whom just liked the irony that I talked about earlier and it was a joke that they turned into reality.

But as long as your opponent is on the same short week, it's not a disadvantage. And actually could be an advantage for the next week as you get more rest than your opponent.

So not a big deal either way... but it's hard for me to believe more than 95% that it happened completely on accident. 
​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (51m) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (1h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (6h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (6h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (22h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (23h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.