Zero2Cool
11 months ago
Whenever something goes awry or bad, it seems the weak minded people immediately want to blame someone, anyone. Yes, I get it, accountability is a requirement. The degree of blame is where I have an issue with. A cashier does something heinous and immediately folks wanna fire the CEO.

Which makes me wonder something, how do we assign blame in the NFL?
CEO/Owner
General Manager 
Head Coach
Offensive Coordinator
Defensive Coordinator
Special Teams Coordinator
Position Coaches

I was listening to sports talk yesterday and Mark Tauscher (clown) was blaming Matt LaFleur for trotting Amari Rodgers out there on punt returns. And then Mark blamed it on Brian Gutekunst for allegedly forcing LaFleur to keep Amari on (and only) punt returns because Gutekunst used a day two pick on him.

I feel the "blame" here goes to to Special Teams Coordinator because it was him who repeatedly said he wasn't giving up on Amari yet.

So, do we want the HC to micromanage and ignore the coordinators? 

Hell, what are the expected duties of the position coaches and coordinators during the game? Maybe we need to define that first.

UPDATE: Improved the title since my previous title was very knucklehead short-sighted.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 months ago
When Amari was consistently messing up on the punt returns, and the ST coach didn't yank him after several mishaps, then to me the head coach should have stepped in and yanked Amari. In the end, he's the one that it falls on, good or bad.
THere was plenty of blame to go around. 

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 months ago
I knew I shouldn't have cited an example as it would distract people, lol. ALAN!!!!

When Amari was consistently messing up on the punt returns, and the ST coach didn't yank him after several mishaps, then to me the head coach should have stepped in and yanked Amari. In the end, he's the one that it falls on, good or bad.
There was plenty of blame to go around.  

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I do agree, that it's create coordinator backs his guys, but the HC has to be like OK that's 2nd fumble, park his ass. MOVING ON! 😀

What are the actual responsibilities we can hold each of those accountable for? I'm going to screw up again and mention the CB's constantly playing cushion. Is that the coordinator? position coach? head coach? PLAYER?

This is the stuff I'm talking about. We blame so easily, but where's the focus on HOW we blame? Let's not focus on the examples, let's focus on the question. And go! Please ...
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 months ago
Being that NONE of us are there to hear what is said or done, all we can do is give our opinions on who is to blame for what. There are no set in stone rules as to exact responsibilities of which coach.
And it could be different from team to team.
That's what I was getting at with my post.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 months ago

Being that NONE of us are there to hear what is said or done, all we can do is give our opinions on who is to blame for what. There are no set in stone rules as to exact responsibilities of which coach.
And it could be different from team to team.
That's what I was getting at with my post. 

So then it's super careless to demand someone to be fired, yes? As you said, we do not know what is said, what is done so having the opinion that someone should lose their employment when we have fractional information is kind of ... wrong?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 months ago
A fan demanding someone in a NFL team to get fired is worth about NOTHING. 
the only opinions that count are those that are actually in charge of those teams . 
And Aaron Rodgers wanting Gute fired (if true) was not his position to make that happen. And if the Packer front office had done so,  that would have been a terrible thing to do. They would have lost all respect AND control of current and future players.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 months ago

A fan demanding someone in a NFL team to get fired is worth about NOTHING. the only opinions that count are those that are actually in charge of those teams . 
And Aaron Rodgers wanting Gute fired (if true) was not his position to make that happen. And if the Packer front office had done so,  that would have been a terrible thing to do. They would have lost all respect AND control of current and future players.

You didn't even read what I said. You just responded. C'mon, Alan! I didn't say fans wanting someone fired was going to get the person fired, did I? No! 

I said ---

So then it's super careless to demand someone to be fired, yes? As you said, we do not know what is said, what is done so having the opinion that someone should lose their employment when we have fractional information is kind of ... wrong?
UserPostedImage
11 months ago
Hypothetically, you can blame every decision on the top person at any organizations.   In business, that is one of the reasons they make so much...they answer for everything.

The problem in assigning blame is that we are working with imperfect information concerning imperfect people in imperfect circumstances.  Ergo, it can be very difficult to accurately assess or assign blame.

A few years back vs the Rams, when Montgomery returned a kick off from the end zone and he fumbled, who was to blame?  The player? The ST coach?  The head coach?  The GM?   Watching the game, in real time, I blamed the ST coach and head coach. 

However, I had incomplete information.   If IIRC in this particular situation, the player was told by the ST coach and HC NOT to run the ball out if goes into the end zone.  Case closed, right?

Largely....except what if those same coaches are harping all week about "making plays"!   "We need to make a play!"  So the guy tries to make a play, resulting one the dumbest expressions coaches hear "I was just trying to make a play coach!"    Arrrrgh,!!! Don't worry about making plays!!! Do your job in a manner you were taught and the plays will happen.

Now...couple that with the fact that coaches are very reluctant to throw players under the bus, so we are less likely to get full forthright information.

Placing blame isn't as easy as it seems.

So if Rodgers wanted Gute fired (which I doubt) for drafting a QB, do we really know if that is what Gute wanted.  Perhaps Murphy told him to get a QB because Rodgers was getting long in the tooth,..we will never probably never know how those discussion went.
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
11 months ago
I feel it's pure cowardice to BLINDLY blame the top person in charge, especially when they are not directly involved with whatever happened. If a cashier at Kohl's smacks a puppy and pushes a toddler down to the ground, you're gonna fault the Tom Kingsbury? How ignorant can we be? If Tom does NOTHING about it, then, THEN we absolutely have causation to assign blame. Spare me the "they make big bucks" bullpoopoo line too. We all know the CEO's job isn't to fall on the sword and become unemployed. Cancel culture idiocy at it's finest.

I guess .. I have strong opinions about this. 🤷‍♂️ Sorry everyone, haha.

A few years back vs the Rams, when Montgomery returned a kick off from the end zone and he fumbled, who was to blame?  The player? The ST coach?  The head coach?  The GM?   Watching the game, in real time, I blamed the ST coach and head coach. 

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

We actually know who to fault for this though. Montgomery said he wasn't supposed to take it out and did anyway because he wanted to seize the moment or whatever he said. So I feel we already know this is 100% on the player in that example. 

Your point is valid though, often times, we don't know. We can talk about Brandon Bostick, who was explicitly told to block but he wanted to be the hero so he deviated from his "job" and ... we know how that went. So, another spot where we real-time fault the Special Teams Coordinator, but in reality, it was the player defying the coaching.

What about that 4th and 26 play? Ed Donatelle called a blitz and Mike Sherman overruled it. Then guess who lost their job? Hint, it wasn't Sherman.

I know I'm ignorant on the details so it's just hard for me to wield pitchforks in the heat of the moment and demand someone lose their means of supporting their family. Maybe that makes me soft or weak or both?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 months ago

You didn't even read what I said. You just responded. C'mon, Alan! I didn't say fans wanting someone fired was going to get the person fired, did I? No! 

I said ---

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

KEven, did you read what I wrote?
I said fans, and then I said Rodgers (or any player). Seems you are quick to jump on what I'm saying without actually taking the time to understand what I'm saying.
I did not say YOU said fans. I was stating how fans can be quick to jump on the "fire him" bandwagon.
And that it seems that Rodgers was trying to get his way (if the whole thing is true)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

24m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

34m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

1h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

2h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.