Mucky Tundra
9 months ago
Sean Payton rips Nathaniel Hackett for Broncos job, jabs Jets 

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos coach Sean Payton has said he doesn't want his team to look in the rearview mirror, but Payton took a long gaze back in an interview with USA Today Sports that posted Thursday.
In an expansive mood, Payton called the work Nathaniel Hackett and his staff did with the 2022 Broncos "one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL" and said there were "20 dirty hands" around quarterback Russell Wilson's career-worst season that included just 16 touchdown passes and a league-high 55 sacks.
Ultimately, Payton summed it up with "everything I heard about last season, we're doing the opposite."
Payton also took aim at Hackett's new employer -- the New York Jets -- where Hackett is offensive coordinator and the team traded for a high-profile quarterback in Aaron Rodgers much like the Broncos had traded for Wilson last year.
"It doesn't happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed," Payton told USA Today. "And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much [expletive] time trying to win the offseason -- the PR, the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff.
"We're not doing any of that. The Jets did that this year. You watch. 'Hard Knocks,' all of it. I can see it coming. Remember when [former Washington owner] Dan Snyder put that Dream Team together? I was at the Giants [in 2000]. I was a young coach. I thought, 'How are we going to compete with them? Deion [Sanders is] there now.' That team won eight games or whatever. So, listen ... just put the work in."
The Broncos will play the Jets in Week 5, hosting Hackett's new team on Oct. 8.
"I'm not going acknowledge Sean. He's been in the league for a while, he can say whatever the hell he wants," Jets coach Robert Saleh said Thursday. "As far as what we have going on here, I kind of live by the saying, 'If you ain't got no haters, you ain't popping.' So hate away."
"Obviously, we're doing something right if you've got to talk about us when we don't play you until [Week 5]. And I'm good with it, but the guys in our locker room, they've earned everything that's coming to them. I'm really excited about what's going on. I think Hackett is doing a phenomenal job here and the coaching staff is doing a phenomenal job. We're focused on us. I get it. There's a lot of external noise. There's a lot of people hating on us. There's a lot of people looking for us to fail. There's a lot of crows pecking at our neck. All you can do is spread your wings and keep flying high until those crows fall off and suffocate from the inability to breathe."
Payton has been offered plenty of opportunities to talk about Wilson's and the Broncos' performance multiple times locally. The strongest comments he had made were that the offense as well as the team's play overall in the 5-12 season was "hard to watch" and that Wilson would not be allowed to have a personal quarterback coach or other support staff of his own in the team's complex.
Payton also made his comments to USA Today after he had deflected multiple questions about Wilson to more than 50 members of local media just minutes before. Payton is not scheduled to speak after Thursday's practice but will after Friday's session.
Payton has supported Wilson throughout the offseason and has offered that more structure and a better "vision" on offense will help the 12th-year veteran return to form. He told USA Today that Wilson "has plenty of gas left in the tank" and added:
"Man, we ran that kid through the car wash a hundred times now. But that's a storyline, though. How is this going to look? How's it going to work? You know what? We're fixing to find out, as Bill [Parcells] would say."
And on Hackett's and general manager George Paton's treatment of Wilson, Payton told USA Today:
"Oh, man, there's so much dirt around that. There's 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms. The offense. I don't know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn't just Russell. He didn't just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn't get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.
"That wasn't his fault," Payton added. "That was the parents who allowed it. That's not an incrimination on him but an incrimination on the head coach, the GM, the president and everybody else who watched it all happen. Now, a quarterback having an office and a place to watch film is normal. But all those things get magnified when you're losing. And that other stuff, I've never heard of it. We're not doing that."
Asked by ESPN's Dianna Russini whether he wanted to clarify any of his comments, Payton said he is just sticking up for his players, who he believes deserved better.

I'm inclined to agree with Turner, it feels like Payton is trying to give himself a free season if the Broncos underperform or praise if they exceed expectations. I believe Turner was hinting that Wilson was the biggest problem and he's not going anywhere. Wilson was known for holding onto the ball too long and taking hits in Seattle (made worse by Seattles atrocious olines over the years). On top of that, there's been talk about teammates in Denver  and Seattle  souring on Wilson  (including a report that states that Wilson demanded Pete Carroll and John Schneider be fired ). If Wilson doesn't rebound under Payton, it could be a very bleak season in Denver (Broncos Country, let's ride!)
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
9 months ago
First, let's start by admitting that the Broncos had some freaking major errors with game time management, to the point the head coach publicly admitted it and requested to bring in an additional guy or coach or something for it. And at times that included things like getting the play call in on time and making decisions in a timely manner.

Nathaniel Hackett might be a great guy, might  be an amazing offensive coordinator, and maybe will be an awesome head coach some day. ​​​​BUT in 2022, he simply was not prepared to be manager of EVERYTHING. And he was overwhelmed and under prepared for that. And that's the main reason he was a one year head coach. He didn't know, what he didn't know, and wasn't able to adapt fast enough under those given conditions. 

Matt LeFleuer has admitted this offseason, that he knows a heck of a lot more now about what he wants (and needs) than he did in his first year.

So Payton, might not be wrong in some of his statements. And let's also add that Hackett allowed Russell Wilson's personal employees, whom had zero connection to the Broncos, set up shop in the Broncos place, and I think Russell had his own locker room area and his own office space away from the players. I disliked when Favre had his own locker room.

I do feel like Peyton is wrong for saying this publicly, and is stupidly kicking a dog while it's down, for no damn reason, which makes him a clear asshole.

Then, he brings the Jets into this... why? What do the 2023 Jets, have to do with the 2022 Broncos? Absolutely nothing, even if there are some players and coaches the same.

I don't understand the theory about how this softens the blow for Sean Peyton with the Broncos... if anything, this raises the pressure. He said the problem was clearly Hackett, Hackett is clearly gone, so they should do a hell lot better, and if they don't, then he might be screwing himself, as he killed the excuse that it was the players.

I can see this as a Sean Peyton is trying to take pressure off the players, especially the QB and trying to build a bond there. But what if he's correct, and the Jets struggle, and the coaches need new jobs, potential employer could see his quote and not want to hire them because of that crap. It wasn't wrong to think, it wasn't wrong to say, but to say it publicly? That's just being an asshole.

​​​​​​

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 months ago
Payton has always been a tool. Still he made me laugh. I think the Jets Broncos game will be the game of the week. People will watch it. At least tune in to see if there are some hard hits to start the game.
UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago

Payton has always been a tool. Still he made me laugh. I think the Jets Broncos game will be the game of the week. People will watch it. At least tune in to see if there are some hard hits to start the game.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Or you know, maybe a bounty to hit some of the coaches while you're on the other teams sidelines 😉
UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago
Profootballtalk 

But Hackett wasn’t the only one to face criticism. As to the mishandling of quarterback Russell Wilson in 2022, Payton placed plenty of blame on others who still work for the Broncos. “That wasn’t his fault,” Payton said of Wilson. “That was the parents who allowed it. That’s not an incrimination on him, but an incrimination on the head coach, the G.M., the president and everybody else who watched it all happen.” The G.M., George Paton, is still there. The team president, Damani Leech, is still there. And the group of “everybody else who watched it all happen” includes ownership. Regardless of whether ownership has an excuse for not recognizing what was happening and why, given that they didn’t show up until taking the team over in August, Payton’s painted with a very broad brush: “Everybody else who watched it all happen.”

Could this be Sean Peyton starting a power battle for control of the team with the GM?

Which I still haven't heard why Sean Peyton left the Saints... which I have wondered if it was because of the GM was locked in place, no matter how good or bad the GM did?

Maybe Sean Peyton left to get more GM control like Mike Holmgren left the Packers?
​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 months ago
What a softball laid out for Aaron Rodgers
He hit it out of the park
I would have let it go and run the Broncos over in week 5. 

Fan Shout
beast (9h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (10h) : damn those vikings
beast (11h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (11h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (11h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (11h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (18h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (18h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.