Mucky Tundra
8 months ago
 DuplicateLinks.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Went to look at current headlines, noticed that it had an article as well as what SportSpyder pulled for several links.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Mucky Tundra
8 months ago
 DuplicateLinks1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 DuplicateLinks2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Noticed that under the headlines that links were duplicated again. Looking at it, SportSpyder just pulled stuff that would appear anyway. Seems pretty redundant and inefficient with the extra clicks involved. 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 months ago
I added sport spyder cuz they get tons of things. I'll have to re code soke stuff to exclude sources we already get I suppose. Are sport spyder links duplicating? Maybe I just disable all except sport spyder 
UserPostedImage
8 months ago
This is a bit off topic, but SportSpyder seems like a really neat and an efficient way to get most news items for Packershome.

I have some questions about Sportspyder:
  1. What type of tool is it?  What would you call it? An aggregator?  AI?
  2. Do the professional leagues like that it exists?   
  3. And if someone could talk to me like I am old with a limited IT grasp, how does it 'work' ? 
    • How does 'it' know what items to grab?   Where to look?  I am familiar with RSS links, is this simply people going to known Packer 'content' producers and following them?
    • How does it know when to stop 'looking'?
    • If someone posted something on Twitter regarding the Packers, how would it know to look for it and 'grab' it?  Should it, i.e. if I post something about "Packer Cupcakes", would it 'grab' that as a story?

4. Are there copyright issues?
  5. What is the revenue model, i.e., how to the people who do the app/site get paid?  I don't see any ads other than those in the original article

Go Packers!!!!
Mucky Tundra
8 months ago

I added sport spyder cuz they get tons of things. I'll have to re code soke stuff to exclude sources we already get I suppose. Are sport spyder links duplicating? Maybe I just disable all except sport spyder 

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It looks like an article that would normally get pulled would get posted on the headlines and then SportSpyder would find the same article when doing a search (which I presume happens at set intervals?) and post a link to it. 

Also, is it supposed to pull articles rapid fire? 
 RapidFire1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 RapidFire2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Feels like if you don't read something ASAP it's gone forever. 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 months ago

Also, is it supposed to pull articles rapid fire? 

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Each feed is checked every three minutes. It takes the top "new" three each time. 

Feels like if you don't read something ASAP it's gone forever. 

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I guess you need to visit PackersHome more frequently eh? 😁😁
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 months ago

This is a bit off topic, but SportSpyder seems like a really neat and an efficient way to get most news items for Packershome.

I have some questions about Sportspyder:

1. What type of tool is it?  What would you call it? An aggregator?  AI?
  2. Do the professional leagues like that it exists?   
  3. And if someone could talk to me like I am old with a limited IT grasp, how does it 'work' ? 
    • How does 'it' know what items to grab?   Where to look?  I am familiar with RSS links, is this simply people going to known Packer 'content' producers and following them?
    • How does it know when to stop 'looking'?
    • If someone posted something on Twitter regarding the Packers, how would it know to look for it and 'grab' it?  Should it, i.e. if I post something about "Packer Cupcakes", would it 'grab' that as a story?

4. Are there copyright issues?
  5. What is the revenue model, i.e., how to the people who do the app/site get paid?  I don't see any ads other than those in the original article

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

1. SportSpyder is an RSS link that compiles numerous Packers related links.
2. Professional leagues, do you mean outlets like ESPN or JSOnline or SI? If so, yes, they do like it because it's free exposure. Providing you do not pull the entire content AND link to their original source.
3. a) I included RSS feeds that I specifically choose.
3. b) I have a program I created that checks every three minutes for new articles
3. c) I'm not scouring Tweeter, but if I were, I would code something that looks for specific hashtags. (e.g. #Packers)
4. See 2.
5. You'd have to contact the original sources. They'll get the digital engagement if the user likes what they read enough to read the full story.

UserPostedImage
AbbaGav
8 months ago
Hey, I don't comment much here but this is my #1 packers site, hands down, for many years.  I really appreciate the work you put in here.

I say that because I'm about to ask for some more.  My personal experience is that I really don't like the new Spyder thing.  It pulls links you were getting already for a second time now.  Some are new, but they require a second click through.

I get that it's an easier one-stop-shop for the site's news feed, but I was actually happy with the way things were and miss that.

Would it be possible to have the old "Headlines" section the way it was, and a "SportsSpyder" feed below it?  Asking if you could add SportsSpyder as its own, separate feed on the right, instead of merging it so that everything zooms by faster than I can get to it.
blank
Zero2Cool
8 months ago

Hey, I don't comment much here but this is my #1 packers site, hands down, for many years.  I really appreciate the work you put in here.

I say that because I'm about to ask for some more.  My personal experience is that I really don't like the new Spyder thing.  It pulls links you were getting already for a second time now.  Some are new, but they require a second click through.

I get that it's an easier one-stop-shop for the site's news feed, but I was actually happy with the way things were and miss that.

Would it be possible to have the old "Headlines" section the way it was, and a "SportsSpyder" feed below it?  Asking if you could add SportsSpyder as its own, separate feed on the right, instead of merging it so that everything zooms by faster than I can get to it.

Originally Posted by: AbbaGav 

Thank you.

I was trying to find a way to add more headlines from more sources. It appears they haven't done better at collecting headlines than what was already being done. I also can't figure out how to get a direct link to the source vs going to their website and THEN the original source. I'm not a fan of that.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
8 months ago

Thank you.

I was trying to find a way to add more headlines from more sources. It appears they haven't done better at collecting headlines than what was already being done. I also can't figure out how to get a direct link to the source vs going to their website and THEN the original source. I'm not a fan of that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

To piggy back off of what AbbaGav said, is there a way to seperate the normal stuff vs SportsSpyder? The SportSpyder seems to grab a little bit of everything that's recent (before I went to bed that night, I looked at the headlines and it was all pretty recent stuff) but pushes the fan made content (CheeseheadTV, Acme Packer Company etc) off or creates an unnecessary duplicate. SportSpyder also seemed to be grabbing Milwaukee Sentinel Journal but some of their stuff is locked behind a subscription. 
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (8h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (11h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (13h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (14h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.