Martha Careful
5 months ago

Sports Illustrated Published AI-Generated Articles Under Fake Names
JOHN SEXTON 10:40 PM on November 27, 2023
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/11/27/sports-illustrated-published-ai-generated-articles-under-fake-names-n595146 

Sports Illustrated Published AI-Generated Articles Under Fake Names

Sports Illustrated was once the benchmark for sports content but today the site has been accused of publishing AI-generated content under the names of authors who are also AI-generated. Case in point, Drew Ortiz who had a photo and an author biography on the site.

Outside of Sports Illustrated, Drew Ortiz doesn’t seem to exist. He has no social media presence and no publishing history. And even more strangely, his profile photo on Sports Illustrated is for sale on a website that sells AI-generated headshots, where he’s described as “neutral white young-adult male with short brown hair and blue eyes.”…

Sometime this summer…Ortiz disappeared from Sports Illustrated‘s site entirely, his profile page instead redirecting to that of a “Sora Tanaka.” Again, there’s no online record of a writer by that name — but Tanaka’s profile picture is for sale on the same AI headshot marketplace as Ortiz, where she’s listed as “joyful asian young-adult female with long brown hair and brown eyes.”

Futurism, the site that broke this story, talked to a couple of employees (real ones) who were involved. They confirm it wasn’t just the authors who were machine generated.

“There’s a lot,” they told us of the fake authors. “I was like, what are they? This is ridiculous. This person does not exist.”…

According to a second person involved in the creation of the Sports Illustrated content who also asked to be kept anonymous, that’s because it’s not just the authors’ headshots that are AI-generated. At least some of the articles themselves, they said, were churned out using AI as well.

When the site asked Sports Illustrated about the articles, all of them suddenly disappeared. Later a spokesperson for the publisher told them that an outside advertiser had put together those articles but that advertiser had assured them the articles were written by humans. But what about the fake authors and headshots? The publisher didn’t have anything to say about that.

The union for the site’s writers said real authors were horrified by the report.

“We, the workers of the SI Union, are horrified by a story on the site Futurism,” the missive began. “If true, these practices violate everything we believe about journalism. We deplore being associated with something so disrespectful to our readers.”

It continued, “We demand answers and transparency from [parent group] Arena Group management about what exactly has been published under the SI name. We demand the company adhere to basic journalistic standards, including not publishing computer-written stories by fake people.”

Here’s the full statement.

And here’s the response from The Arena Group.

The rest of the statement reads:

AdVon has assured us that all of the articles in question were written and edited by humans. According to AdVon, their writers, editors, and researchers create and curate content and follow a policy that involves using both counter-plagiarism and counter-AI software on all content. However, we have learned that AdVon had writers use a pen or pseudo name in certain articles to protect author privacy – actions we strongly condemn – and we are removing the content while our internal investigation continues and have since ended the partnership.

But as Futurism pointed out, the articles themselves sound a bit off. For instance, this post about buying a volleyball is pretty weird: [emphasis added]

Even people who don’t watch sports can easily understand the intensity and skill required to play volleyball whenever they watch clips. There’s a reason why it’s been such a mainstay in modern sports to this day. Volleyball can be a little tricky to get into, especially without an actual ball to practice with. You’ll have to drill in the fundamentals in your head before you can really play the game the way it was meant to be played…

Is that something a human would write? Similarly, Futurism found non-existent authors being published on another site owned by Arena Publishing. This one is called The Street and included an article by Nicole Merrifield (who doesn’t exist) which opens:

Your financial status translates to your value in society. It not only helps you lead a better life but also creates an impactful image. People with strong financial status are revered and given special advantages everywhere around the world. You may be earning a handsome amount or be well-to-do, but if you don’t have a strong financial standing, you are missing out on a lot of benefits from society.

I wrote about Buzzfeed’s terrible AI-generated content back in March. Google was reportedly also testing out an AI tool to write news content this summer and pitching it to major newspapers as a digital assistant for journalists.

Google is testing a product that uses artificial intelligence technology to produce news stories, pitching it to news organizations including The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal’s owner, News Corp, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The tool, known internally by the working title Genesis, can take in information — details of current events, for example — and generate news content, the people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the product.

One of the three people familiar with the product said that Google believed it could serve as a kind of personal assistant for journalists, automating some tasks to free up time for others, and that the company saw it as responsible technology that could help steer the publishing industry away from the pitfalls of generative A.I.

Would we know if some of these sites were already using it? I think we would, at least in 2023, but the AI tools seem to improve ever few months. In a few more years it might become really difficult to tell.

John wrote:

And he deceives those who dwell on the earth... He was granted power to give breath to the image

Makes you wonder, eh?
Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
4 months ago
I know TV and Movies are not real. However, I feel we have enough situations to cause concern when it comes to AI. I also know as someone who makes a living in technology that's probably a no-no way of thinking. I personally feel that we American's fail to know our limits. One of my first realizations of this was as a teenager. We would call into the radio show and ask for our favorite hit to be played, over and over and over again. Then months later it was "overplayed". We do the similar principle with gambling, booze, and sometimes even partners.

I see AI being something that could be amazingly helpful for our society, but it needs to have proper governance. And I do not have confidence we can do that.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 months ago
Also, this crap annoys me. A damn robot trying to verify I am not a robot? Screw you.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
beast
4 months ago

I see AI being something that could be amazingly helpful for our society, but it needs to have proper governance. And I do not have confidence we can do that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree, but at the same time, if we limit what's allowed to be used, then places where there are no limits will then get some advantages.

Just saying it's a double edged sword, either way can cut you, and it's tough to make that balancing act, especially when rules and regulations are usually, at minimum, a decade behind in the times.

Also, this crap annoys me. A damn robot trying to verify I am not a robot? Screw you.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Absolutely and there is this one that I hate the most, that tells you to click all the squares with _______ in the picture.

Let's say the blank is motorcycle, but it's one huge picture split up into 16 squares. Of course there are obvious ones that you click or don't click, but then the motorcycle's mirror is in a square by itself... or the motorcycle's kick stand...

Do you click that, or not? Technically it's part of the motorcycle, but it's by itself in that square is not a motorcycle. Just what counts for the sake of the quiz and what doesn't?

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 months ago

Absolutely and there is this one that I hate the most, that tells you to click all the squares with _______ in the picture.

Let's say the blank is motorcycle, but it's one huge picture split up into 16 squares. Of course there are obvious ones that you click or don't click, but then the motorcycle's mirror is in a square by itself... or the motorcycle's kick stand...

Do you click that, or not? Technically it's part of the motorcycle, but it's by itself in that square is not a motorcycle. Just what counts for the sake of the quiz and what doesn't?

Originally Posted by: beast 

The one that my pedantic ass gets nailed on his "click squares with car" and then there's one with a bus so obviously I do not click it BBBBBBBBBBBBBBOINK you wrong!!! YOU NOT HUMAN!!!

UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
4 months ago

The one that my pedantic ass gets nailed on his "click squares with car" and then there's one with a bus so obviously I do not click it BBBBBBBBBBBBBBOINK you wrong!!! YOU NOT HUMAN!!!

actually, the is one of the robot checkers that has really fully characters (like M3k7Yb) only they on on an angle and very hard to read, esp. if you have bad eyes.

Go Packers!!!!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2m) : damn those vikings
beast (24m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (30m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (31m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (32m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (33m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.