wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 months ago

As the Green Bay Packers navigate an off-season that could be crucial in determining whether this team builds off its surprising 2023 success and takes the next step, they must determine what to do with their 12 unrestricted free agents. Perhaps the biggest name on that list of 12, is that of running back, AJ Dillon.

Before he even took a snap in a Packers’ uniform, Dillon drew attention in training camp for the size of his quadriceps and received the nickname, “Quadzilla.” Drafted 62nd overall in the 2020 NFL draft, AJ Dillon wasn't exactly a celebrated pick at first by the Packers faithful. Some felt the Packers had just drafted a fullback in the 2nd round given Dillon's size and running style. Unfortunately, Dillon never really got the chance to prove himself early as he was slotted behind fellow running backs Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams on the depth chart.

In the first seven games of his career, he only received 23 total carries of 97 yards total. Which if put into one game would be a pretty good outing, but spread out in seven games? Not so much. The next five games, Dillon spent on the COVID-19 list after testing positive for the virus but then three games later, Dillon had a huge breakout game where he showed his potential. He barreled through the Tennessee Titans defense for 124 yards on 21 carries and two touchdowns on a cold late December night in Green Bay. This was enough for the Packers to let Jamaal Williams walk in free agency later that offseason, landing Dillon at the #2 running back role behind Aaron Jones. 

Dillon had a decent career as Jones' backup averaging about 728 yards and five touchdowns per season on the ground and another 200 or so yards through the air. But he never quite became that reliable running back that's desired of a second-round pick. 

Looking to 2024

Aaron Jones has a hefty price tag next season, but Packers GM Brian Gutekunst has already stated he wants Jones back. Jones is the heart and soul of the offense, so his return is a no-brainer. But after Jones, with AJ Dillon's contract expiring, there are big question marks. Behind Jones on the depth chart sits rookie Emanuel Wilson and 3rd year-back, Patrick Taylor. Both have shown some good spurts but nothing to suggest the Packers could make them Jones' backup in 2024. 

So, what to do?

I don't think there's a question that the Packers will likely draft a running back in the first three rounds. Holding five picks in the first 80 selections, one of them is bound to be used on a running back. Blake Corum, Marshawn Lloyd, and Jonathan Brooks could be some good options in the first three rounds. After that, Wisconsin's Braelon Allen is a name Packer fans would love to hear called when Green Bay is on the clock. Allen kind of fits the mold of AJ Dillon a bit being a big running back that operates through his size and strength. If the Packers are looking to replace Dillon, Allen could be an intriguing option regardless of the Badger-ties. But, I think if the Packers are going to draft a running back high, they need to find one to replace Aaron Jones, not AJ Dillon. 

Even though Aaron Jones seems to be still at the top of his game, he's entering his 8th season in 2024. That is flirting very closely with the Grim Reaper when it comes to starting running back shelf-life. Jones will be back in 2024, but what about after? His price tag could remain hefty regardless of restructuring, and pretty soon something will have to give. At 5'8 210 lbs Blake Corum is very close to being Aaron Jones in terms of size and speed. Marshawn Lloyd also matches those measurements and could be an intriguing option as well. Corum, of course, has the stat lines you dream about for a back, while Lloyd is also a pretty decent threat through the air which Matt LaFleur values in a running back. 

But are they the sure number 2?

If the Packers had low to average expectations going into 2024, I would say a rookie 3rd/4th round pick behind Aaron Jones would be just fine. But with the Packers possibly looking at another good playoff run, I'd maybe want a veteran back at the ready just in case the rookie has a hard time transitioning. Almost like how the Packers handled AJ Dillon. He had Jones and Williams in front of him so he could get acclimated. I could see history repeating itself with there being that other veteran back just in case.

So, why shouldn't it be AJ Dillon?

Bring him back

Saturday I ran a little poll on Twitter/X asking between Darnell Savage, Keisean Nixon, AJ Dillon, and Jon Runyan Jr, who you would want to see the Packers resign the most. I received 61 votes in the allotted time and 54% voted for Keisean Nixon, 26% for Savage, 13% for Dillon, and 7% for Runyan. Honestly, given Dillon's popularity over the other four, I was quite surprised he was third. But it seems like many are okay with letting him walk if it comes down to it. 

What that poll doesn't ask though is whether or not they'd accept the others being resigned. But even on that note, Dillon still isn't highly favored given his inability to truly "woo" the fanbase on the field. But, here's the thing, Dillon bleeds Wisconsin and Green and Gold off the field. AJ Dillon's wife, Gabrielle is a Green Bay native, and Dillon has been given another nickname over time which is the "Mayor of Door County." I think there's a good chance if given the opportunity, AJ would resign with the Packers. So, if you're going to bring in a veteran running back as an insurance policy alongside a rookie behind Aaron Jones, why wouldn't you just bring back a running back that's been on your roster?

I get it. AJ Dillon has produced the amount that's expected of a high pick. He's also never going to be a feature back unless somehow he greatly improves. But if I'm the Packers, and I have Aaron Jones in the waning years of his career, and a rookie that may still be a deer in the headlights, I'd want to sign AJ Dillon to at least a one-year deal. After that year, it can be decided, okay, is the rookie ready? Or, is Jones going to cut it for another year? Regardless, I think it would be nice to still have AJ Dillon ready in the event he's needed in 2024. 

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

I like Dillon. I like the fact that he loves playing in GB. I am not sure they will bring back both Jones and him.
I don't care about Wilson or Taylor.
I sure wish Dillon had 800-900 yards this season. I sure wish the team didn't flounder when Jones was out.
Still Jones, Dillon and a rookie 4th round pick seems reasonable to me.
Sign him for $2-3 million for one season and let's go.

UserPostedImage
bboystyle
2 months ago
vet min. if not, let him walk. Not losing anything special here. We do need another RB to help Jones because he will get hurt or used less throughout the season
earthquake
2 months ago
He's not signing a vet minimum contract, please put the crack pipe down.

But he had a down year when given a lot of opportunities due to Aaron Jones' injury situation. This will bring his price down. Plus he seems to really, really want to be in Green Bay. And RBs don't tend to get paid very well in the best of times. All that to say I think it's realistic and I hope they work something out with him.
blank
Zero2Cool
2 months ago
There's two AJ Dillon. Which one we gonna get? The one that hesitates and side steps before going forward? Or the one cut decisive north south runner? If it's the latter, let's talk. Otherwise, go walk.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 months ago
Derrick Henry would look good in Green and Gold, as an example.
It has been a subject of speculation. Spotrack has him at 4.6 mil, my guess is that is low, but we shall see.
Draft a couple, one early, one later.
Then say bye bye to any rb on the roster not named Aaron Jones, and even he is going to feel a little more contract pressure than would otherwise exist.

It is worth looking at all the free agent running backs in 2024. There are many.

I love A.J. just as much as everyone else, but he is not the fit for us. Steelers, maybe? I wish him nothing but success, great guy.
beast
2 months ago

Derrick Henry would look good in Green and Gold, as an example.
It has been a subject of speculation. Spotrack has him at 4.6 mil, my guess is that is low, but we shall see.
Draft a couple, one early, one later.
Then say bye bye to any rb on the roster not named Aaron Jones, and even he is going to feel a little more contract pressure than would otherwise exist.

It is worth looking at all the free agent running backs in 2024. There are many.

I love A.J. just as much as everyone else, but he is not the fit for us. Steelers, maybe? I wish him nothing but success, great guy.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I love the idea of Henry rejoining LaFleur, but it seems like the Ravens by far have had the most interested in Henry, supposedly almost getting the Titans to agree to a trade a couple of times before it falls apart, at least if you believe the rumors.

Top 2024 FA RBs according to PFF
1. RB SAQUON BARKLEY, NEW YORK GIANTS
2. RB JOSH JACOBS, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

3. RB DERRICK HENRY, TENNESSEE TITANS
4. RB TONY POLLARD, DALLAS COWBOYS

5. RB AUSTIN EKELER, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
6. RB D'ANDRE SWIFT, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

7. RB J.K. DOBBINS, BALTIMORE RAVENS
8. RB DEVIN SINGLETARY, HOUSTON TEXANS

9. RB A.J. DILLON, GREEN BAY PACKERS
10. RB ZACK MOSS, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I wonder how an Aaron Jones and Austin Ekeler duo would do. I mean, they're very similar which potential could be good and bad. Ekeler is normally among the best receivers at RB, but had a down year last year.

Dalvin Cook is also a free agent and might be fairly cheap right now.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 months ago

I love the idea of Henry rejoining LaFleur, but it seems like the Ravens by far have had the most interested in Henry, supposedly almost getting the Titans to agree to a trade a couple of times before it falls apart, at least if you believe the rumors.

Top 2024 FA RBs according to PFF
1. RB SAQUON BARKLEY, NEW YORK GIANTS
2. RB JOSH JACOBS, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

3. RB DERRICK HENRY, TENNESSEE TITANS
4. RB TONY POLLARD, DALLAS COWBOYS

5. RB AUSTIN EKELER, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
6. RB D'ANDRE SWIFT, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

7. RB J.K. DOBBINS, BALTIMORE RAVENS
8. RB DEVIN SINGLETARY, HOUSTON TEXANS

9. RB A.J. DILLON, GREEN BAY PACKERS
10. RB ZACK MOSS, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I wonder how an Aaron Jones and Austin Ekeler duo would do. I mean, they're very similar which potential could be good and bad. Ekeler is normally among the best receivers at RB, but had a down year last year.

Dalvin Cook is also a free agent and might be fairly cheap right now.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I don't know enough about these players so I looked up estimated contracts from Sportrac and PFF grades from 2023. The usual disclaimers apply here (who knows how accurate the estimates or grades are).

Saquon Barkley $9.9m - PFF 70.2
Josh Jacobs $10.6m - PFF 65.0
Derrick Henry $4.3m - PFF 90.2
Tony Pollard $6.5m - PFF 76.6
Austin Ekeler $7.4m - PFF 60.2
D'Andre Swift $6.7m - PFF 66.7
JK Dobbins $2.1m - PFF 53.5
Devin Singletary $5.3m - PFF 70.8
A.J. Dillon $3.5m - PFF 75.7
Zack Moss $4.6m - PFF 66.9

If I had to pick a guy from this list it would be Henry (he would be a great 1-2 punch with Aaron Jones). But I think he'll sign a much more lucrative contract than this. I'm guessing Sportrac's estimates are weighting his age quite a bit with his contract estimate.

And then the next guy I would pick on this list is... A.J. Dillion.

Now if I had to guess I would say the Packers resign Dillion at something around 3 years, $10m. And if they don't do that, they don't sign any of these other guys either. I don't think it makes much sense to big on a veteran RB with this roster. Draft a guy or two, bring in some UDFAs, and spend on more important positions - CB, S, DL, or something like that.

blank
bboystyle
2 months ago

He's not signing a vet minimum contract, please put the crack pipe down.

But he had a down year when given a lot of opportunities due to Aaron Jones' injury situation. This will bring his price down. Plus he seems to really, really want to be in Green Bay. And RBs don't tend to get paid very well in the best of times. All that to say I think it's realistic and I hope they work something out with him.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

You hope they work something out with him? And im the one who needs to put the crack pipe down? LOL

Dillon is a JAG. He can walk.
nerdmann
2 months ago
Just a guy, but he's got some power. Just not sure he's oriented towards what the Packers do.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
go.pack.go.
2 months ago
I like him as a person, but not as a player. He runs soft for someone his size.

I say let him walk, we could easily improve his roster spot in the mid rounds of the draft.

Our luck he will probably go on to play like Derek Henry for someone else.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1m) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (4h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (5h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (5h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (17h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

44m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.