Zero2Cool
a month ago
As we all know, the draft is for the future. And free agency is to plug immediate holes. We all understand that is the rule, err guideline.

I was worried the Packers would reach high for a Safety because we lack the numbers and talent Safety. Instead, they landed what most are saying is #1 Safety in Xavier McKinney who is just 24 years old! Think about that! The top Safety in the draft, Tyler Nubin is 22 years old. That's just incredible. And the tape I've been seeing via Tweeter, the dude can play! He's a helluva tackler.

That signing should alter the aggressiveness of the draft for Safety. They tend to draft best player available, but maybe they factor in lack of numbers in their "best" algorithm? Who knows. I think they can take best value on Day 2 at Safety and be solid.

The Packers went and landed RB Josh Jacobs. I'd rather have a healthy Aaron Jones, but we will NOT get into that argument right now. Also, this does NOT change my goal of drafting best RB on Day 2 and maybe another on Day 3.

What this does for the Packers though. It allows them to strike gold at OL in round one.

Book it! We're taking OL in Round One.

How do you think the recent free agent signings and what not have altered the Packers draft? Or has it altered it nothing at all?
UserPostedImage
a month ago

As we all know, the draft is for the future. And free agency is to plug immediate holes. We all understand that is the rule, err guideline.

I was worried the Packers would reach high for a Safety because we lack the numbers and talent Safety. Instead, they landed what most are saying is #1 Safety in Xavier McKinney who is just 24 years old! Think about that! The top Safety in the draft, Tyler Nubin is 22 years old. That's just incredible. And the tape I've been seeing via Tweeter, the dude can play! He's a helluva tackler.

That signing should alter the aggressiveness of the draft for Safety. They tend to draft best player available, but maybe they factor in lack of numbers in their "best" algorithm? Who knows. I think they can take best value on Day 2 at Safety and be solid.

The Packers went and landed RB Josh Jacobs. I'd rather have a healthy Aaron Jones, but we will NOT get into that argument right now. Also, this does NOT change my goal of drafting best RB on Day 2 and maybe another on Day 3.

What this does for the Packers though. It allows them to strike gold at OL in round one.

Book it! We're taking OL in Round One.

How do you think the recent free agent signings and what not have altered the Packers draft? Or has it altered it nothing at all?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

if we find a free agent at middle linebacker I totally agree with you. But if we don’t, we might go that direction in the first round.

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
a month ago

if we find a free agent at middle linebacker I totally agree with you. But if we don’t, we might go that direction in the first round.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I've been seeing a lot of people say drafting off ball LB in round one is bad bad bad business. I don't know how true it is. Just something that seems to be a dang echo chamber.
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago

I've been seeing a lot of people say drafting off ball LB in round one is bad bad bad business. I don't know how true it is. Just something that seems to be a dang echo chamber.

I've seen a stat recently said only 4 of the last 22 LBers drafted in the first round have re-signed a second contract with the team that drafted them.

That's not saying they're bad, but the team that drafted them aren't paying to keep them around either.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
a month ago
What I really like about these two signings is that we don't need to reach for a Safety or RB. If Nubin is available when we pick, we grab him. If not may we wait and grab Bishop or one of the other Safeties a round later. Same with RB. Have a list of guys you like to fill the desired role and pick the one that is available where there is value. I do think this means that we are drafting OL who are better run blockers.

Beast mentioned LB. I am thinking we might look at Cooper in the second round if he is there. Not entirely sure what Hafley looks for in the middle, but Quay definitely could use some competition.
Zero2Cool
a month ago
We're at 25, right? Here's the top 32 prospects per PFF.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Here's the top LB / EDGE per PFF.
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago

What I really like about these two signings is that we don't need to reach for a Safety or RB.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

We signed a S and RB, but we also let two at each position go. So we need to grab another still.

It might be interesting.to try to figure 9ut draft needs after FA vs before.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
a month ago

We signed a S and RB, but we also let two at each position go. So we need to grab another still.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think what Kanata meant is that Gute can let the draft come to him and not need to make any panicky moves.

For an oversimplified example, GB has two S with 2nd round grades and three with 3rd round grades. After taking another position with the first 2nd round pick, Gutes thinking a S with the other 2nd rounder. But unexpected run sees the two 2nd graded S taken and even one of the 3rd round guys. With no McMinney and in that scenario, would Gute still trust his board or pull the trigger a round early and miss out on another guy?

With McKinney signed in that same scenario, Gute can just sit pat and trust his board. If he feels a little heat, he can move up using some Day 3 picks and get a guy he wants in the 3rd while still getting his guys in the 2nd.

Again, it's a bit of an oversimplified example.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Mucky Tundra
a month ago

We're at 25, right? Here's the top 32 prospects per PFF.

Here's the top LB / EDGE per PFF.

Seeing these rankings makes me sad as it probably kills my Byron Murphy with the #25 pick dreams.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
a month ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

The draft needs haven't changed. The approach to the draft might have with the free agent signings. We just look at who's under contract in 2025 to know our needs by position. Teams that 'need' rookie players in April won't be playing in January.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (6h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (8h) : damn those vikings
beast (8h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (8h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (8h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (15h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.