Zero2Cool
15 years ago

It had been five years since a Green Bay Packers running back had rushed for 1,200 yards in one season, and Ryan Grant's 1,203 yards in 2008 has been topped only six times, by just three other backs, in team history.

But ask Grant himself what he thought of his 1,200-yard season, and his answer is simple and direct.

It wasn't good enough.

"No," Grant said, point-blank. "If I felt like that was what I was, yeah it would be good enough. But that's not what I feel like. I feel like I should have had 1,400 or 1,500 yards this year, easy."

The "easy" part may be a bit of an exaggeration, because nothing seemed to come easy for Grant as he took the first full 16-game pounding of his career, with 312 carries, the fourth-most in one season for any Green Bay back.

But, in the midst of some outside criticism that the Packers may have overpaid for a player who was a feature back for barely more than half a season in 2007, Grant is the first to admit he didn't get as much out of those 312 carries as he should have.

In analyzing his season, there are essentially two areas where Grant left those extra 200 or 300 yards on the field he thought he should have had. Those areas were big plays and early-season production.

Grant nearly cracked 1,000 yards in just nine games as the primary back in 2007 largely because of his big-play prowess. He broke off 11 runs of 20 yards-or-more in those nine regular-season games, and added four more in his 201-yard playoff performance against Seattle, for a total of 15 in 228 rushes.

But in 2008, Grant gained 20 yards-or-more on just six of his 312 carries, and he had just four until the regular-season finale against Detroit, when he added two more. After a 57-yard run in the fourth quarter of the season opener against Minnesota, Grant went eight straight games without a run of 20-plus, finally getting another on his second carry in Week 11 against Chicago, when he went on to a season-high 145-yard day.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and running backs coach Edgar Bennett all have said the lack of long runs was not all on Grant. But he didn't break as many tackles nor make as many second-level defenders miss as he did the previous year, and Grant plans to regain that kind of explosiveness and elusiveness for next season.

"They hold me to a certain standard, and nobody is going to be harder on themselves than I will," Grant said. "The evaluation process has already begun, and we have to do more. I have to do more."

Grant also would have a much better chance of posting that 1,400- or 1,500-yard season if he's able to start the season stronger.

Contract negotiations kept him off the field for all of the organized team activities (OTAs) last spring, and when he did return to the field with his new deal early in training camp, he injured his hamstring. The recovery was slow, and even though Grant didn't miss any regular-season games, the change in his production once he had a "training camp" under his belt was notable.

Through the season's first six games, while still battling the hamstring, Grant rushed for just 59.8 yards per game and 3.4 yards per carry. Then, beginning with his first 100-yard game in Week 7 against Indianapolis, he averaged 84.4 yards per game and 4.1 yards per carry the rest of the season.

"I think it took him a while needless to say to work his way back into football shape, to get comfortable with those reads, get the timing, getting hit again, all those things," Philbin said. "The second half of the season he kind of got back to where he was."

How much of the slow start could be attributed to the hamstring injury versus the lack of practice time in the offseason and training camp is impossible to distinguish, because the two issues became inextricably related in early August.

But there's no doubt the Packers feel having Grant healthy and available for an entire offseason and training camp will benefit his and the offense's output.

"I think that's going to help," Philbin said. "For a guy that played half a year and wasn't part of an OTA or a training camp (here) before, I think it's very important. Obviously as a coach we're of the opinion that practice is valuable, and I think getting him here in March, getting him here for all the IPWs (individual position workouts), all the OTAs, all the camps, you gotta believe that's going to make him a better player."

And that's what Grant expects to become in 2009, a better player. One who isn't lamenting the couple of hundred yards he left on the field, and one whose 1,400- or 1,500-yard season is a reality, not a missed opportunity.

"It's feasible, and if I felt it was a crazy standard, it wouldn't be the standard," Grant said. "But I think everybody in this locker room including the coaches, including 'EB', know what I'm capable of and know what we are as an offense.

"More consistency, more leadership. To be that guy, just more."

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
If he plays all 16 games and is healthy, I'd be more surprised if he didn't top 1,500 than if he did top it. I could see a difference in his running style towards the last half of the season. I'm hoping with all off season like a typical player goes through he will benefit from it and so will the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I must say, he really stepped it up in the second part of the season.

I just hoe he will continue to play like he did there. I'd still ike a bit higher YPC and some more big plays, but I guess those will come.

I also hope he won't fall back. I mean, he had 2.4 YPC against the Jaguars and 2.7 YPC against the Bears. He had a good game against the Lions, but even I could get 4.0 YPC against the Lions. (Although 106 yards on just 19 carries is pretty impressive)
zombieslayer
15 years ago
A little more consistency on the OL would really help too.

We should have a Grant yardage prediction thread. I'm thinking in '09, he'll top 1400.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
I have said for a while that it was the big runs that were missed from him. But even more is the result of them long runs.

MN game 2 - 30 yard TD.
Dal game - 62 yard TD.
Chi game 2 - 66 yard TD.
Det game 2 - 27 yard TD.

So of the 11 long runs in 07' 4 were for TD. Not much knocks the wind out of a Defense as much as a long run for a TD.

This last year. None. That hurts.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
bozz_2006
15 years ago
and i think it was because for the better part of the season, he was hurting. missing TC, sore hamstring. like to see what he can do with a full offseason and clean bill of health.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Lots of people are calling for his benching...just remember, he is still a young player. He will only get better.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
well, they're not calling for his benching now... they were doing that before the season started. then he went interception crazy the first half of the season, and the screamers stopped screaming, he got voted to the pro bowl, and got second team all pro. nobody's calling for his benching anymore. i just think he still has lots more potential. better angles. better tackling. quicker reactions... it'll come. all i'm trying to say is the reason he was given all these accolades is because of his interceptions. being a great d-back requires more than just interceptions.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

well, they're not calling for his benching now... they were doing that before the season started. then he went interception crazy the first half of the season, and the screamers stopped screaming, he got voted to the pro bowl, and got second team all pro. nobody's calling for his benching anymore. i just think he still has lots more potential. better angles. better tackling. quicker reactions... it'll come. all i'm trying to say is the reason he was given all these accolades is because of his interceptions. being a great d-back requires more than just interceptions.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

What?

I don't know why Grant would be interception crazy or why anyone would want him benched. The guy ran for over 1,200 yards which is not bad especially in pass happy McCarthy's offense.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
hahaha. i'm dumb. I thought i was responding to a post about people wanting Nick Collins benched. Yeah.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (now) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (3m) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (4m) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (47m) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (1h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (11h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (13h) : damn those vikings
beast (13h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (13h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (13h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (20h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (21h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.