Yerko
  • Yerko
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks Rock and Vikes....that was a serious question my little brothers had for me since I have been training. They said what if the Bears or Vikings ask you to play?
I said I would play for them in a heartbeat (sorry guys).
I would just have to figure out where to hide all my Pack stuff for the time being if something does work out...haha.
And if this combine ends up bringing me to another league, I won't have to worry about that.
UserPostedImage
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago
Hey man good luck, even with the Bears or Vikings. But, hey, reminds me. Can you sang some of us some tickets? 😉
UserPostedImage
Yerko
  • Yerko
14 years ago
Haha, I will let you know...if I ever make it to that point. Right now, I know it is a long shot for me to do anything, but I am determined to make the best out of my situation.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
just remember what I said few pages back..

think it, believe it, do it

if you think about it hard enough, you can believe you can do it, then you will be able to do it
Yerko
  • Yerko
14 years ago
When I first read that back a couple pages, it was dug into my memory. It's actually motivation for waking up at 6:30 three days a week to lift...so thank you for the words, again LTF.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
Your gonna try out for a football team? What??
Yerko
  • Yerko
14 years ago

Your gonna try out for a football team? What??

"El3ment12" wrote:

Technically, this combine opens up my test results to every football league out there, including the UFL now. The best thing about this combine though is NFL scouts actually attend it and you know they are always looking for that rare talent (I hopefully have some). So yes, I am trying out...for any team interested.

At the time you guys were giving me information on the team tryouts, I had my mindset on going big or go home. This combine is it...I consider this going big. I wish I can put all my time into training for this event, but with a full-time job I am limited so I find the time I do have to train, regardless of how draining it is.

This combine is geared toward athletes that didn't get invited to the actual NFL Combine. Some might see it as a rip off because it is not THE NFL combine, but I see it as an opportunity. All tests shadow those of the NFL and I am completely jacked out of my mind about it (minus the $230 reg fee with dvd and training manual :icon_smile: )

Anyways, you guys are really the only people I talk football with so I thought awhile back I'd share my thoughts with you along the way. A lot of you have been great so far and I appreciate the support!
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
Thought you might like this

2 NFL hopefuls trying to defy age-old concerns

source 

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)The creases across Brandon Crawfords forehead are a mark of his experiences.

He played college football. He survived boot camp in the Marines. He worked on an automotive parts assembly line, and hes not about to let some age-old question deter his lifelong dream.

The 33-year-old defensive end has a message for scouts: Hes not too old to play in the NFL.

I believe I have a shot at getting drafted, Crawford said this week after working out in Indy. If you turn on the film, it doesnt lie. My age might make some people put a blinder on, but I think youve got to see the film first.

Getting noticed, at Crawfords age, will be his most difficult challenge yet.

Impossible? No. NFL teams have on occasion drafted older players.

Former Florida State quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke(notes) was 28 when he was taken by the Carolina Panthers in 2001. In 1964, the Dallas Cowboys selected Navys Roger Staubach knowing the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback couldnt play for five years because of his military commitment. Staubach arrived at training camp in 1969 as a 27-year-old rookie and went on to have a Hall of Fame career.

Crawford, however, doesnt fit the high-profile, award-winning quarterback model. Lacking that hype, he asked the St.Vincent Sports Performance program to help him make an impression.

Of the 16 players in this years workout class in Indy, just threeIndiana safety Nick Polk, Purdue cornerback David Pender and James Madison guard Dorian Brookshave one of the coveted 329 invitations to next weeks NFL Combine.

Everyone else is still trying to prove themselves.

Boise State tight end Richie Brockel wants to show scouts his injured left foot is healthy. Indiana linebacker Will Patterson must demonstrate that hes big enough to succeed in the NFL. Former Penn State quarterback Anthony Morelli is back, looking for a second chance after getting cut by the Arizona Cardinals two years ago. Morelli, who will be 25 in June, insists hes not just older.

Ive gotten bigger, faster, stronger, Im jumping better, he said. I think the chances are pretty good, I just need to get in front of some people.

Morelli will do that next Friday in Indy when he holds a personal workout on the same day this years big-name quarterbacks, receivers and running backs are measured and take tests during the combine at Lucas Oil Stadium.

But in a numbers league, age matters, a lot.

Its why many teams avoid signing worn-down 30-year-old running backs. Its the reason once-dominant cornerbacks move to safety, or big-play receivers suddenly find themselves playing in the slot. Teams know that younger players typically have less wear and tear on their bodies, possess more speed and cost less than those 30-something veterans.

Such concerns about age could be enough to keep Morelli and Crawford off teams draft boards.

I dont think you want to draft somebody in the first round if theyre 27 years old, said Gil Brandt, a retired NFL executive who drafted Staubach and Chad Hennings out of the Air Force Academy. But if youre signing anybody as a free agent, I dont think it makes any difference. All theyre looking for is someone that can improve your football team. And there are some guys that do that when theyre 27.

Morelli and Crawford count themselve among that group.

Crawford, who grew up in Fort Wayne, Ind., learned lifes lessons the hard way.

As a high school senior, he was getting scholarship offers from mid-major schools and if football didnt work out, he still had financial aid from the 21st Century Scholar program. All that changed when he jumped into a friends car for a ride to Pizza Hut. One problem: The car was stolen, Crawford was arrested and his college dream disappeared.

After graduating in 1996, he went to work in a factory until enlisting in the Marines in 1999. Crawford got through boot camp at Camp Pendleton in California and was stationed in North Carolina during the Sept. 11 attacks.

Soon he was deciphering messages, typing up deployment orders for his friends and gaining a new perspective on life.

It made me realize that people just dont pay attention to the military and the things they do, Crawford said. People in this country dont realize how fortunate they are to sit down and watch TV or to go to the movies. It made me thankful for the things we have and to be thankful to be part of this country.

It was one reason Crawford asked Ball State to give him a second chance.

What Crawford did with the Cardinals was nothing short of remarkable. He finished his career with 39 consecutive starts, including two bowl games, and then went back to work to make the NFL.

Since football season ended in November, Crawford has added 15 to 20 pounds of lean muscle. He expects to be measured at 6-foot-3, 275 pounds, prototypical NFL size for a defensive end, at the schools March 4 pro day.

Those who know Crawford best say his greatest contributions do not show up in the numbers.

He works hard, he leads, hes got a good framework of where hes been, said Ralph Reiff, director of St.Vincents workout program. Hes added a lot to this.

Morellis career path strayed from the norm, too.

Since getting cut by the Cardinals two years ago, Morelli bided his time by working out on his own, coaching quarterbacks at Pittsburghs Plum High School and helping his uncle with construction jobs.

All the while, Morelli maintained the dream of playing football. Morellis wife finally persuaded him to move back to Indy, where hes been getting help from former NFL quarterback Jack Trudeau.

Im only 24 years old, and Ive played against a lot of these guys in college. So when it comes to age, I feel like I havent hit my peak yet, Morelli said. Im going to keep going until I exhaust all my opportunities, and if I have to go play in a lower-level league, Im going to do that until everyone tells me to give it up.

Will that desire be enough for Morelli and Crawford to overcome the perception that theyre too old?

Theyll know in a few months.

I guess its kind of like an investment and you have to look for the best return you can get from it, Crawford said. Ill let them (teams) know what my experiences have instilled in me. But you can only talk so much to people. They really have to decide is he more of a liability or more of an asset?

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
That story gave me goosebumps. I love people who refuse to let their dreams die.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

That story gave me goosebumps. I love people who refuse to let their dreams die.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

just keep thinking that!!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (20m) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (27m) : For now...
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (3h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (3h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

23h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.