Cheesey
15 years ago

i like him. he's one guy (i'm from illinois) who has never waivered or waffled on the issues. you may not agree with what he says but he stands by it - unlike the vast majority of politicians.

however, it is clear that prejudice is alive & well in this country. i mean that on both sides of the issue. people are pissed that he's being treated as the "second coming". i say did we expect anything less? he's the first african american to be president - the media HAS to make a big deal about it.

personally, i think he's being set up for failure & i wouldn't want to be in his shoes for all the money in the world. but i wish him the best & pray that he will do what is truly best for our country.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

To me, the fact that they ARE making such a big deal out of it is racism.
He SHOULD be treated like any other president.
Now, before anyone gets mad at what i said....please take the time to hear me out.
One of my fears is: Because he IS the 1st black president, will the media and for that matter, the people in general hold him to a lower standard?
I DO NOT mean because he is black, but because he's the first black as prez.
Do you understand what i mean?
I mean they might cut him more slack then they would anyone else, as they don't want anyone to think they are jumping on him because of the color of his skin. Which i don't care if he's black, white, red, yellow.......(anything but PURPLE!!!)
UserPostedImage
vegOmatic
15 years ago
I celebrated with great happiness over "Share The Wealth" day. Everywhere in the media I read how all our problems are over.
blank
Rockmolder
15 years ago
To me, the fact that they ARE making such a big deal out of it is racism.
He SHOULD be treated like any other president.
Now, before anyone gets mad at what i said....please take the time to hear me out.
One of my fears is: Because he IS the 1st black president, will the media and for that matter, the people in general hold him to a lower standard?
I DO NOT mean because he is black, but because he's the first black as prez.
Do you understand what i mean?
I mean they might cut him more slack then they would anyone else, as they don't want anyone to think they are jumping on him because of the color of his skin. Which i don't care if he's black, white, red, yellow.......(anything but PURPLE!!!)

I agree with you here, which doesn't happen to often on political standpoints. :p

Ofcourse he is the first black president, which is quite an achievement, seeing how Mr. King got killed just 40 years ago because he just talked about this stuff hypothetically.

Still, I think their empathizing (sp?) to much on him being, well, not white. Hopefully when he does really begin making decisions, they'll grade him on his leadership and just how good he does and not because of his skin color.

Oh, and about the arrogance part. I just mean that he seems to think about the rest of the world. He has alot of charisma and a great character. Or, at least, that's what he's shown so far. Ofcourse he still throws around that American is 'the greatest country in the world' and I bet most of you think the same way. It's subjective, I don't have any problem with that. I think the Netherlands is pretty damn great for one. He doesn't seem to be the self proclaimed king of the world though, which I tend to come across pretty often when having a conversation with Americans.

PS. I didn't mean anyone on this forum, with the arrogance part.
Pack93z
15 years ago
Media going overboard in hype.. say it isn't so, we never see that in this country.

I didn't watch it because it is overblown.. a rational person realizes that the world is not saved today.

We are a beaten down country at this point; a decade and a half of mistakes lead us to this point.. hopefully Obama remains true to his convictions and gets the heading of this fine country pointed in a rebounding position and learn from past mistakes.

Will he be perfect, probably not, but when reading his totality of a vision.. if he remains true to that vision.. better days will lay ahead.

I believe it was Wednesday night I heard a comment from a gentlemen in a crowd, his skin was of color but his message was golden.

"Make not an ordeal of his color, make an ordeal of his message, vision and leadership. For he is American, regardless of color, he rose up and became our 44th President from a common family with strong beliefs. Make mention of his desire, drive and passion to make a difference. That is the reason to celebrate, since like me he is a common American."

I thought that was exceptional.. it isn't an exact quote, but as close as I could come to his message.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dhazer
15 years ago

"Make not an ordeal of his color, make an ordeal of his message, vision and leadership. For he is American, regardless of color, he rose up and became our 44th President from a common family with strong beliefs. Make mention of his desire, drive and passion to make a difference. That is the reason to celebrate, since like me he is a common American."

I thought that was exceptional.. it isn't an exact quote, but as close as I could come to his message.

"pack93z" wrote:

Now i have a question for that guy Is he an African American or is he just an American? I'm so sick of those words African or Mexican American either your American or not. I'll be happy with Obama if he works on the racism in this country like getting rid of the National Black month which is coming up, or how about the united negro college fund? If we had a national white month or a national white college fund we aere racist. Before you claim me a racist i will let you know i lived in Kenosha's Lincoln Park where we were the only white family in an 18 block radius. I made alot of black friends there. I will also inform you i did not vote for Obama just because of his name sorry i couldn't handle writing down a terriorists name for president. As far as how he does i think he will be praised for anything good that happens after all how much worse can this country go. I say whoever would have been President would be classified as a savior to this country because the only way we can go now is up.

His 1st thing he should do is bring our soldiers home and stop sending so much money to Iraq and use that money to help rebuild this country.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
vegOmatic
15 years ago

[quote="pack93z"]Now i have a question for that guy Is he an African American or is he just an American?

"dhazer" wrote:

African-American for those who are behind the times and/or are unable to move forward as fast as some of the others.
blank
dhazer
15 years ago
Sorry guys but that subject just plain pisses me off. Like when i see pics of the so called mexican americans hanging mexican flags at schools. I did like one thing about Obama and that he is using the Lincoln bible, maybe he will get this country back to the normal and get rid of all this politically correct crap. Ok i'm going to stop here im getting off topic and to wound up about this stuff. Sorry again for going off.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
15 years ago
cheesey - what you said is exactly what i was talking about. we agree about that part at least. 😉 he should be held up to the exact same standard of every president - regardless of the color of his skin. i just happen to like him so far. we'll see. whether he's black or not, i'd still feel sorry for whomever is the president of this country right now & wish him/her the best of luck. things are a mess!!!
Pack93z
15 years ago

Now i have a question for that guy Is he an African American or is he just an American?

"vegOmatic" wrote:

African-American for those who are behind the times and/or are unable to move forward as fast as some of the others.

"dhazer" wrote:

This mans point was just that.. the label African American doesn't fit this countries structure anymore.

The greater percentage of the citizens of this country were born and raised here, they are American regardless of color.

It is truly time for both sides of the coin, to let go of the final ties to racial segmentation and truly start to see the people of this country as a single plain of Americans. Skin tones are like hair color.. it should just be another pigment of the makeup of a person.

And I agree.. there shouldn't be segments like "National Black month"; it could be just as effective as say a "Heritage Month" that is broad sweeping and non specific in nature.

This gentlemen I quoted seemed to get it.. I think more and more people are starting to get it that unity is needed now more than ever.

You mention Lincoln in your posts.. I think some of his words should be focused upon even in today's times.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nations wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations. ~ Abraham Lincoln, second inaugural address, March 4, 1865

I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature. ~ Abraham Lincoln, first inaugural address, March 4, 1861
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

I do.

I am impressed by him.

"Trippster" wrote:

SCWHEEEET, Tripp is back!
UserPostedImage