dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

The United Football League will be born tomorrow. I know, I know - the concept has been around since spring of 2007 in public. Michael Huyghue has been the Commissioner since the fall of 2007 and the league originally planned to kickoff in 2008. Sure the league did announce in December that they were kicking off in 2009, Casa Grande, etc.

I really do get it. The league announced less than a month ago the Premiere Season - but remember how much you grumbled about that one? Only four teams? A short season? Are they even going to have a TV deal or good Coaches? You asked those questions - you know you did.

Admit it. You doubted the league. Ill put a strike through that because I do not think you do anymore. You see - I told you to be patient, they had quality football folks, experienced execs, financial gurus, and intelligent investors. Wanna know a secret? I believed all of that but I still had my doubts.

Now you are excited again. It isnt just the television deal. ProFootballTalk is reporting that former NFL Coaches Jim Haslett, Dennis Green, and Ted Cottrell will be joining Jim Fassel on UFL sidelines. Those are serious names and serious Coaches. Those are not the kind of Coaches that start up football leagues attract. Haslett was neither confirmed nor denied from the league, a good sign he is the 2nd Coach. As for the other two? Well, we will see tomorrow.

These moves - these news - tell people that the United Football League is for real. People are paying attention and tuning in. The league has a chance - and that, my friends, is something to be excited about. That is why tomorrow - Wednesday, March 10 - will be viewed as the launch of the United Football League.

Should be interesting to see who they all get for players. I also heard it has backing from the one and only Mark Cuban so it should be a fun league to watch.

Read more on it here:

http://uflaccess.com/ 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Yerko
15 years ago
I am actually interested to see this. I think a couple players from my conference were "drafted" to teams.
I didn't think this was a big deal so I didn't bother with it. I am going to see if anything is going on Versus tonight.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

I am actually interested to see this. I think a couple players from my conference were "drafted" to teams.
I didn't think this was a big deal so I didn't bother with it. I am going to see if anything is going on Versus tonight.

"AKamp74" wrote:

Hey.. here is another chance to get noticed..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
The part i'm interested in is if this takes off will cities that don't have an NFL team try and get in on this, and what will it do to the NFL coming up with a new collective bargain agreement. Also how will affect the draft next year will it be like the old usfl where they signed alot of the star college players. Remember thats where Reggie, Herschel, and Steve Young all went.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Here is where I see this niche if they can get up and running...

Taking that second tier players and having them play traditional ball.. then in time becoming a feeder league to the NFL... NFL Europe stateside..

If they try to take on the NFL heads up right out of the shoot.. I see them having to extend to much capital to sustain the league long term. Ala the USFL...

Keep the salaries in check, gain popularity and then if they want try to take on the NFL a couple years down the road.

If the NFL and NFLPA blow it with this CBA.. It will only help this league along... but be smart, start small and grow from there.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
TheEngineer
15 years ago
This should definitely be NFL Europe-in-America. They need to capture their niche, and the easiest, most legitimate one currently is to serve as a feeder series to the NFL.
blank
Silentio
14 years ago
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/ufl/news/story?id=4535959 

It should be interesting to watch how things go...
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Going to be interesting to see how Tatum Bell will do. I always thought that he was quite an underrated back in the NFL.

Looking forward to seeing some games in this league, as long as they don't approach it like the XFL did, they might have a shot at staying.

'Worst case scenario' will be tha the NFL buys the league and it'll become a developmental program. But that'd still mean that we will actually have some football during the summer, even if it is on a lower level.
nyrpack
14 years ago
im sure the 1st week or so will be interesting , then only true football fans will tune in and ratings will be aweful !
jimmy b.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (9h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (15h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (17h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (17h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (19h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (19h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (19h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (20h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (20h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.