wils0646
15 years ago
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/breaking_news//443728 

GREEN BAY -- Nick Collins doesn't want a new deal before reporting to the Green Bay Packers' offseason strength and conditioning program. But the Pro Bowl safety would at least like the team to start talking to him about one.

With no negotiations on the horizon, Collins is staying home in Florida and not attending the team's offseason workouts, which kicked off Monday, an NFL source said Thursday evening.

Collins, 25, was named an NFC starter at safety for the Pro Bowl last month after registering 99 tackles and seven interceptions last season, returning three of those INTs for touchdowns. He has played and started 63 of a possible 66 games during his four NFL seasons, with 11 career interceptions.

This really disappoints me. He had escalators in his contract, paying him over 3 million next year, which is so much higher than some first rounders received in '05 in their 5th year of the rookie contract.

The safety position is also very important in Capers's system. They have to make all the calls and be very familiar with the system and the terminology. This isn't good at all.
The Pack Will Be Back.
IronMan
15 years ago
Lame. Maybe we can all take up a collection for him. ::roll:
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I agree, lame, but I don't blame him. I also think its in his better interest to get his ass here and be with the team. He hasn't had any professional experience in a 3 - 4 and every rep will help him and the Packers.

Be upset you haven't heard talks about your contract, fine. Just don't hurt your career and potential because of it.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Hmmm I wonder if this had anything to do with why we where looking safety in FA?

I said it a couple weeks ago, it might be time to look at dealing Collins while his value is at a peak. While he has a ton of physical talent and unreal range, one has to question the mental aspect of the game and his continued nicked up status... he always seems to be playing with some sort of injury.

I mean honestly, he has seen how Thompson works, he would be in line to get a extended contract this season already, this nonsense can only hurt him.

Maybe wearing that Pro Bowl jersey got to him a little.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
15 years ago
I hate that crap

If there is one thing I would like to change is that players can not re-do their deals they sign..

But in turn nfl makes those deals guaranteed

I know it wont happen and I knwo its flawed in some ways..

But I cant stand the fact players want new deals as soon as they start to get good
dfosterf
15 years ago
Just wonder if this is possibly fallout from re-signing Bush. I am NOT saying it is, but it is POSSIBLE that his re-signing is messing with everyone's self- perception of their RELATIVE worth to the Packers, especially in light of our cap room and lack of movement in free agency.

It's damned if you do and damned if you don't in the NFL, imo.

EDIT--

And z posted while I was writing. Friendly reminder-- I warned about fallout from selection to the pro-bowl while many felt we were slighted as a team... As I stated then, I wish everybody else's guys get recognized for the honor, not ours. This is an example of why I say that. I might not be fair, but neither is not honoring your contract. Again, imo.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Bush is no threat to Collins. I think that has very little to do with it. I think Collins going to the Pro Bowl and having such a good year last year he feels he should be paid immediately. I say get in line. First priority MUST be Greg Jennings, then others, such as Collins. If I were Collins I wouldn't be doing this. I'd be waiting for Jennings to get done, then I'd make my desire for a new contract known to the staff, not public, the staff.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

Packers FS Nick Collins hit an escalator in his contract that increased his 2009 base salary from $530,000 to $3.045 million. Collins, entering a contract season, has been a starter since his rookie year and picked off seven passes in 2008 to earn his first Pro Bowl berth. [...]

greedy 
Dulak
15 years ago

Just wonder if this is possibly fallout from re-signing Bush. I am NOT saying it is, but it is POSSIBLE that his re-signing is messing with everyone's self- perception of their RELATIVE worth to the Packers, especially in light of our cap room and lack of movement in free agency.

It's damned if you do and damned if you don't in the NFL, imo.

EDIT--

And z posted while I was writing. Friendly reminder-- I warned about fallout from selection to the pro-bowl while many felt we were slighted as a team... As I stated then, I wish everybody else's guys get recognized for the honor, not ours. This is an example of why I say that. I might not be fair, but neither is not honoring your contract. Again, imo.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I think dfoster means - not that collins position may be up for grabs but that the $ is a issue.

ie look at bush ... he got a nice chunk of change just by looking around. And then theres williams 'looking' around wanting more money.

The only guy that should be looking for more money is collins (and thats after his contract is done) - in reality it doesnt make sense that people can re-nig on their contract while its in effect?
Heck I'm in a contract at work can I just put up a stink and demand more money even thou my name is on the dotted line?

I dont get it.
dhazer
15 years ago
I think Nick just wants a phone call from Ted Thompson to feel wanted on the team 😛 But seriously isn't it funny how players are looked upon. Just a few months ago everyone was saying how great Collins was and he needs to have his contract extended but now that he isn't showing up for strength and conditioning those same people are putting him down. Makes me wonder if you same people would say the same thing about Jennings if he does this?

To be totally honest i think Greg is going to try free agency and we will lose him. Something isn't right with whats going on he already refused to discuss his contract last season, it be could the smoke before the fire.

But c'mon guys stop flip flopping you are starting to get worse than Skip Bayless. Have faith Ted Thompson will take care of these guys.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (8h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (11h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (13h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (15h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (15h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (16h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.