Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
March 17th, 2009, I took my wife out to an early dinner in downtown St. Paul and then surprised her with a Minnesota Wild game for her birthday. She's a HUGE Wild fan.. Hockey fan in general. And, I will say, I'm a big Wild fan, too. But, I wasn't as big of a Wild fan before that day as I am now.

You see, the Xcel Center is known for it's supreme viewing angles and sound system. It was even considered in the top 5 of ALL professional sporting venues (including NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL). But when we went, and experienced the awesomeness that is the X, nothing prepared us for the culture of environment that building holds. I don't think it has anything to do with the building itself, but the electric excitement the fans have for hockey.

The Wild are a struggling team, fighting hurt, to keep in the playoff race. As of right now they are 11th in the Western Conference playoff hunt, 2 points behind the 8th and lowest playoff berth. (Though, at the end of 2 periods, they are beating the Islanders 3-1) They have been without their 'superstar', Marion Gaborik for all but 8 or 9 games (He's back.. for now). Other noteworthy contributors have been in and out of play as well. They have been inconsistent as a team can be. Yet, the Xcel and the excitement for hockey in Minnesota was as if the state had JUST gotten it's first NHL team.

The Xcel Center is a place where a lot of casual 'fans' and people tend to migrate to during hockey games. I don't know why, but they do. And they contribute BIG TIME to the environment there.

Why am I posting this? Well, because, since March 17, 2009, I can say without shame that I'm more proud to be a Wild fan than any other professional franchise, including my beloved Vikings. I've always loved hockey as a kid. Since we were very poor when I was growing up, I never got to play the real sport, but I always played boot hockey (same sport, just with boots on the ice versus skates). When the North Stars left Minnesota for Dallas, I remember crying. And I also remember boycotting any and all hockey. Seriously, how do you take professional hockey out of Minnesota? The state that virtually shuts down school during the high school state tourny? (Well, not completely shuts down, but teachers stop lessons to wheel in the TV and turn on the hockey tournament.) But when Minnesota announced it was rewarded a new team, and that it was going to build a new arena for said team, a tiny spark of hope flickered. In 2003, when the Minnesota Wild not only made the playoffs for the first time in team history and in the 8th seed, but became the NHL's cinderella team and made history..

the Wild had beaten the favoured and third-seeded Colorado Avalanche in the first round in seven games, coming back from a 3-1 series deficit and winning both Game 6 and 7 in overtime. Brunette scored the series clinching goal. In the Western Conference semifinals, the Wild beat the fourth-seeded Vancouver Canucks, again in seven games, and again after being down 3-1 in a series. In the process, the Wild became the first team in playoff history to capture a seven-game series twice after facing elimination during Game 5.

"Wikipedia" wrote:

Those playoff games, my dad, Shanna (my wife, then girlfriend) and I watched. Every one of them. And that little spark, started on fire pretty quick. Lasted the entire playoff run, and well into the next season. Then, with this trip to the Xcel with Shanna, my passion for hockey was ignited. Like none other.

The best sports anthem, by the way, is the Minnesota Wild Anthem.

[youtube]Khokx5p0-bQ[/youtube]

No team, ever, has better fans than the Wild.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
TheKanataThrilla
15 years ago
Nice to see some die hard Yank hockey fans.

I've never heard the phrase boot hockey. Are you on a rink surface or are you just outside? We normally play outdoors and call it road hockey. It is sad you never got to play. In Canada growing up in the 70's and 80's we were blessed to have rinks in so many small towns and a commitment to keep the costs down. I grew up in a divorced household and was really poor, but me and my two older brothers all got to play hockey. Then again we didn't care if we had used equipment which is very different from today. My middle brother used to play with a number of NHL players during the offseason. He was really good and just didn't get a break and made some bad hockey choices (girlfriend).

Minnesota losing the North Stars was a bad day for hockey as most Canadians and NHL fans knew that the support was there for the team.

Unfortunately Jacques Lemaire's coaching style, while producing wins in the past, is not what will bring in offensive-minded free agents. I don't think Gaborik will be back next season and that will really hurt. Winning 2-1 in the post-lockout NHL is tough and I think Lemaire's style needs to adapt or he should be fired or moved up to management.

I often though that if one of the Southern American teams finally fail (Atlanta, Carolina, Nashville, Florida are all in trouble) that it would be nice to see them put a team in Wisconsin. I think there is a decent hockey following in Wisconsin, and Dany Heatley the star player on my Ottawa Senators was a graduate of UW. Hockey should be in places with snow. I don't understand if they are not going to put more teams in Canada (Winnipeg and Quebec City for starts) why not go back to Hartford, or try Seattle or Wisconsin?
dhazer
15 years ago
I live within 60 miles of Pittsburgh and they are huge fans around here. They ask me who my favorite team is and i tell them i don't get into hockey. It might be different if i had a team to watch when i was younger it might be different. But growing up 30 miles north of Green Bay on hwy 41 you don't see very much for hockey. They try getting me into it but i just like seeing the fights lol. They took me to a local minor league game here and i ended up cheering for the wrong team when they scored a goal.

You were talking about the best venue for sports, I love Lambeau that place is awesome but i have to be honest the best venue i have been to is the old Chicago Stadium. Back when i had season tickets for the Bulls. That place would rock seeing they allowed standing room only. Nothing would beat when the famous Intro would start and the frenzy would start with the final explosion when they would say "From North Carolina at guard #23 Michael Jordon and they place would actually shake.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I'm not into Ice-Hockey at all. Normal Hockey is pretty cool, as we win alot, but Ice-Hockey is yet again, one of those sports that doesn't really live in South-Western Europe, it seems.

That still is a great story, though. Never knew Minnesota was that much of an Ice-Hockey state either.
MontanaBob
15 years ago
NHL Hockey....a sport where thugs, muggers, people of questionable character can do what they do best and get away with it. I LOVE IT. That's my kind of game. Our son and one of our daughters (the one in NM) got us into hockey as they are both avid Penguins Fans. They have all the jerseys money can buy and then some, and my wife will throw things at the TV set watching a Penguins game.

A fast paced game, and you have to play offense and defense while on the ice. Let's see Aaron Rodgers on defense!

Hey Rockmolder....when you have nothing but ice for 9 months of the year on all the lakes, why not go out with a stick and hit a Vikings Helmet around for awhile. See if you can sink it in some poor guys ice fishing hole! "HE SCORES.....GOAL NORSKIES!"
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Trippster
15 years ago
Growing up playing hockey in Michigan, I understand the fever that a state can have for hockey.

I started off playing junior hockey at age 9 and when we played street hockey I would be the goalie and would grab my dad's 1st base glove. It was a left handed glove so I became a left handed goaltender (still am today).

In high school, hockey is right behind football and probably even with basketball for popularity. we would regularly have 1500-2000 people come to the games. they had to get in early to get a seat and then they would line up 6 deep in the corners.

Wisconsin really is not that high on hockey. Except UWMadison. We have a minor league team in Milwaukee (Admirals) but they don't draw all that well. high school hockey is poor at best. Definately not the level of Michigan or Minnesota. I have heard about the fever in Minny. but then again, If you have poor basketball and no football at the pro level what are you going to embrace? LOL!!

Love hockey, love playing it. It is ok watching it on TV although I must admit I don't watch as much as I can't pronounce most of the names. My son has become a big Blackhawk fan as his girlfriend plays hockey. She is at Minnesota State on a full scholarship for hockey. (and she is cute too, go figure!)

One of the coolest games on xbox 360 is NHL 09. Awesome. just played two hours worth last night.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
RaiderPride
15 years ago
I Love The Game.

I am a fan of the Canucks. I truly wish more Americans would at least experience a game live. It is (In Most cases.) heart wrenching action.

If you are going to go to your first game though, do not make it an NHL Game. Make it a NCAA game, or a East Coast, or American Hockey League Game.

I think it is the only sport where the minor league games are better than the Professional Games.

I go to the Chilliwack Bruins games in the Western Hockey League, and it is the kids. It is great hockey with every kid busting his ass every time his skates get ice time.

Minnesota has a great college program, so does North Dakota, Denver, and Badger hockey is a blast.

Try it.... You will like it.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Tripp, you mentioned how Wisconsin didn't have much following for hockey.. I don't know much about that, because when I lived in Wisconsin, I lived in Superior. And around the time I was in high school, Superior was always a Wisconsin state powerhouse in hockey. (Probably had something to do with all the Minnesota teams we played). Anyway, just found that to be interesting.

RP, you are correct. A live hockey event (pro or otherwise) was SOOO much better than televised. If you think you MAY like hockey, go to an event!

MontanaBob, I thought you were going to start dogging on hockey.. I was getting my battle gear on before I finished your first sentence.. lol Glad to see you agree. =D

dhazer, I'm not surprised about Philly's hockey following. Considering the Penguins have a nice history, and always seem to get a star player (Mario and now Sidney).

KanataThrilla, we played boot hockey outside. I think there was only one time when I was in an indoor arena's ice. Here in Minnesota, we too have ice rinks.. EVERYwhere. I would be surprised if someone told me they would have to travel any sort of distance to find one. Heck, in most places, they don't even bother taking down the side rails. They just leave them up (since it's only a 3 month time frame without ice alot of years). I have to add, that if my parents were more proactive with me, I would've played a lot of sports, and probably would have found a way to play hockey as well. But being a single dad of two, I'm pretty sure his plate was full at the time.. lol
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
bozz_2006
15 years ago
my favorite is going to the gophers-sioux games at the U.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
We have the Milwaukee Admirals.
I used to go watch them play at Wison Park, which had an ice hockey rink.
It was free, so I'd sit there and watch for awhile. But it just never really grabbed me.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (9h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Random Babble / Novalee

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.