TheEngineer
15 years ago

You feel differently, thus you have more positives to say. It doesn't UPSET me you feel like you do. I disagree with your assessment of Jordy and Jones, as would ALOT of people outside of GB. I see alot of posters on here that are enamored with any marginal player GB fields. I know homerism plays a big part of it but I'm just stating my IMO, Objective view of them.

"dd80forever" wrote:

That's strange. Because it IS your opinion, it is hence subjective, not objective. Unless you mean to claim that your opinion is not subject to prejudice, like/dislike, is completely unbiased etc.

Anyway, I am of the opinion that Jones and Nelson are teetering between 2nd and 3rd WR material, and Jennings a solid 1st or 2nd. The best part however, is that both are likely to improve with experience and good coaching. WR is one of our strong areas, but it could always be stronger. So I'm not worried, even though individually no single player is a standout (except Jennings may be close, but we shall see this season). The receivers complement each other well.

If we pick up Crabtree at #9, would we lose the repore we currently have between the 5 receivers? Would Crabtree then expect to be paid and played like a top 10 draft pick? Would Driver be bumped off the team to make room? I don't know. Honestly I hope he's drafted by the time #9 comes around, so we can focus on getting a solid OL or DL player.
blank
porky88
15 years ago

So with word leaking that many of the top 10 teams want to slide out of it.. that make the drama even more interesting if Crabtree is there..

Jags Trying Hard To Trade Out Of The Top Ten
Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2009, 4:42 p.m.

As the 2009 draft approaches, several teams in the top ten actively are trying to trade out of it.

Were hearing that this group includes the Lions, Chiefs, and Browns.

It also includes the Jaguars, whom were told are desperately trying to get out of the eighth overall spot in the draft.

But the Jags currently can find no takers.

Nor can any of the other teams in the top ten.

As one league source explained it, there are three issues making the top-ten teams want to get out, and keeping other teams from wanting to get in.

First, the money paid at the top of the draft has gotten out of hand. Even hard-core agent types who previously have argued with us about this issue are now admitting that the values of the contracts at the top of the process are too high.

Second, theres no bell cow in the draft no must-have player in the view of one or more teams.

Third, theres no real separation between the top players at each position. For example, Michael Crabtree isnt $20 million better than Hakeem Nicks. But if Crabtree goes within the first seven picks of the round and Nicks goes in the last ten, the dollar value of their respective contracts will entail a gap potentially that large, if not larger.

Ditto for the tackles and the quarterbacks.

So why take a guy at No. 2 when a comparable player can be gotten for much less money at No. 20?

In the end, this years experience could provide just enough ammunition to get a meaningful rookie wage scale implemented as part of the next CBA.

"pack93z" wrote:

PFTALK" wrote:

Personally, I think Crabtree and Nicks will end up being the best two receivers from this draft when it's all said and done. Crabtree much better though.

Anyways though what I wanted to say is a lot of stuff is going to be coming out between now and the draft. I wouldn't listen to any of it. It's all bs leaked out in my opinion.

Also, Jennings contract issue with Crabtree shouldn't bother anyone. GB has 30 million in cap. They both should be paid a lot of money. Crabtree will make a good amount of money and so would anyone being picked No. 9, but so should Jennings. My point is pay them.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

I find that funny because what was the explanation when they lost 10 games last year?

"dd80forever" wrote:

Dude, they lost 7 games by a grand total of, what, 25 points? Maybe less. Two of those defeats were in overtime, in one of which the offense never stepped foot on the field. They were in every game but two -- one of which Rodgers was in agonizing pain -- right down to the wire!

Give them a freaking break.
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago

Im selling.

This isnt madden or A-11. We dont need luxury picks.

Offensive line or defensive line. MAYBE Linebacker.

I can see where you guys are comming from when im squinting. Maybe Driver starts to fade, maybe Jennings never resigns. What if Jones / Nelson arent as good as we think.

Too many ifs here. We know what we need now, and we need to do something about that, now.

"Mazloum" wrote:

Technically there was only 1 if there. 🤨
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Im selling.

This isnt madden or A-11. We dont need luxury picks.

Offensive line or defensive line. MAYBE Linebacker.

I can see where you guys are comming from when im squinting. Maybe Driver starts to fade, maybe Jennings never resigns. What if Jones / Nelson arent as good as we think.

Too many ifs here. We know what we need now, and we need to do something about that, now.

"Mazloum" wrote:

But when you can choose between taking a receiver who at one point was nr. 1 on some mock drafts or reaching for a tackle like Oher, you take the receiver.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a trade back either in that case. I think we'd have a very strong position if this is going to happen. I think Raji will be there aswell, but still, this is a pick too good to pass up on.

Just think about having those two guys at WR. If Crabtree does pan out like he should and isn't injured all the time (Here's my big concern), we'd have the best tandem in the league. I mean, we're up there already with the best of them, but look at our 2, 3 and 5 wide set in that situation. (Although I do think that we'd need to trade one receiver at least).

I do see where you are coming from though. If you don't watch out with stuff like this, you'll end up like the Lions or the Bengals. All they had where a QB and WRs and that obviously got them nowhere.
Dulak
15 years ago
Its looking alot less likely that we will be able to trade down even if we wanted too (according to pack93z article).

So why do these teams want to trade down? - simple ... $

They really need to change the rules with these rookies - why should someone that comes right out of college get paif the big $$$. IMO they should have to prove themselves just as much as in college. These are the big boys here; sometimes in college you can seem like you are 'all that' and once you face 350 pound linemen your moves dont seem all that tough.
TheKanataThrilla
15 years ago
To me taking Crabtree really depends on the Tackles available. Rodgers put up great numbers last year in spite of an average at best O-line and rushing game. Give him some more time and better holes for Grant so the opposing team respects our running game and I think the passing game approaches 5000 yards with our current group of receivers.

We also have to look on the other side of the ball. Do we want to be like Denver and Indianapolis where we put up great numbers on offense and are an exciting team to watch, but our Defence crumbles costing us games? I am glad that it was brought up again that we lost 7 games by a field goal or less.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I wholeheartedly concur with your analysis. While I would love to have another horse in Aaron Rodgers' stable, I submit the Detroit Lions as a cautionary tale. They had an impressive of receivers with Jon Kitna at the helm, yet though Kitna threw for well over 4000 yards in 2007, the Lions had a losing season.

Give Rodgers a few extra seconds in the pocket and I think the sky's the limit for the kid.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
Crabtree is a stud and imo is a no brainer, is he better than Nelson, and Jones? Without a doubt,I see people claiming how good jones is off of one catch in the preseason against the bungles. What about when it counted and he coughed up the ball twice against the Bears in 2007 that pretty much cost us the game, what about his health issues? C'mon people we are always looking for the future so why wouldn't you want to take the #1 overall player on most draft boards? I see people saying take a OT even if its a reach thats just plain funny. I see people saying take Smith from alabama, hell talk about issues he walks out of the combine, suspended for the bowl game, hell he hired an agent and fired him already, so i ask how many red flags do you people need to get off his bandwagon?

I would love Crabtree but i really don't see him falling to us.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
shield4life
15 years ago

Crabtree is a stud and imo is a no brainer, is he better than Nelson, and Jones? Without a doubt,I see people claiming how good jones is off of one catch in the preseason against the bungles. What about when it counted and he coughed up the ball twice against the Bears in 2007 that pretty much cost us the game, what about his health issues? C'mon people we are always looking for the future so why wouldn't you want to take the #1 overall player on most draft boards? I see people saying take a OT even if its a reach thats just plain funny. I see people saying take Smith from alabama, hell talk about issues he walks out of the combine, suspended for the bowl game, hell he hired an agent and fired him already, so i ask how many red flags do you people need to get off his bandwagon?

I would love Crabtree but i really don't see him falling to us.

"dhazer" wrote:

lool Hazer I know it's off topic but check your inbox.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.